Honda Odyssey Forum banner

(Solved) Multiple cranks to start

906 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  adr5
So I have a hard time starting my 2008 Honda odyssey touring edition. It’s not the battery or alternator. I think it has something to do with fuel pressure. Some times it starts fine other times I have to turn the key on then off 3-4 time sometimes more and then it will finally start, when it’s running I don’t seem to see any issues but idk, so could it be fuel pump, fuel regulator, throttle body, so many options I don’t know where to start and they are all expensive please help nerrow it down, thanks!!!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,290 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator probably.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,290 Posts
Is that inside the fuel tank or on the fuel rail
It is part of the fuel pump assembly. It can technically be replaced individually but it is somewhat of a pain to do. It's easiest to just replace the assembly.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
Might also be the fuel pump not priming properly or consistently. Perhaps a bad fuel pump relay.

· Registered
12 Posts
I had something similar happen to my Yukon. This, along with the smell of fuel led me to the fuel sending unit (fuel pump in tank) lines coming out of the tank were rusted and rotted away. Took a couple tries for pressure to build up to start it.

· Registered
11,022 Posts
other times I have to turn the key on then off 3-4 time
How long do you let it crank before you turn the key off for another try?

Do you live in a cold area of the country? Do you keep your fuel tank >3/4 full in winter?

Reactions: surfsalterpath

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long do you let it crank before you turn the key off for another try?

Do you live in a cold area of the country? Do you keep your fuel tank >3/4 full in winter?
Crank about 3 seconds then turn off then crank again it’s getting worst after I changed the battery and alternator it is cold her about 32 at night and we let it get doww to 1/4 tank sometimes lower

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it was the theft immobilizer as I was ready through this threads I read that if the green key light is blinking it will not start

back story
My ignition went out so I replace the whole key ignition with that said I didn’t wanna spend the money on reprogramming the key so I duct taped the old key onto the chip reader so I guess over time it’s not reading it so I plan on getting back in there and just gonna spend the money to get my new key ignition chipped the right way

And I thought Honda was the problem lol van is a beast with 265,000 miles and still running strong

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,467 Posts
So it was the theft immobilizer as I was ready through this threads I read that if the green key light is blinking it will not start

back story
My ignition went out so I replace the whole key ignition with that said I didn’t wanna spend the money on reprogramming the key so I duct taped the old key onto the chip reader so I guess over time it’s not reading it so I plan on getting back in there and just gonna spend the money to get my new key ignition chipped the right way

And I thought Honda was the problem lol van is a beast with 265,000 miles and still running strong
In hindsight it would have been good if you had mentioned this important fact in your very first post.

· Registered
1,039 Posts

· Registered
702 Posts
So I have a hard time starting my 2008 Honda odyssey touring edition. It’s not the battery or alternator. I think it has something to do with fuel pressure. Some times it starts fine other times I have to turn the key on then off 3-4 time sometimes more and then it will finally start, when it’s running I don’t seem to see any issues but idk, so could it be fuel pump, fuel regulator, throttle body, so many options I don’t know where to start and they are all expensive please help nerrow it down, thanks!!!
Your car is 14 years old and probably has well over 100k miles. When is the last time you changed the plugs? If never, I would do that first as it is due and easier than working on the fuel system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts