Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my EX-L Ody for about 2 weeks here are some simple features that should have been there on a $30K machine :
(Except for these, enjoying my Ody).

1. Fuel Tank Cap attachment to prevent the cap from falling off from the vehicle body.

2. Lighting for steering wheel control - volume, aud ch, cruise set/decel/resume. You can't figure these control in the night.

3. Lighting for power window and mirror controls. These controls are difficult to figure out during night driving since they are not lighted.

4. A simpler shifting design for the gear shifter. It has some weird up/down/forward/backward twists before it changes the gears.

5. Re-design and include the wiper fluid and wiper controls to the left handle knob control so that the only thing on the right side is the gear shifter. It is very easy to switch the gear knob and the wiper knobs if you are not careful.

·
Registered
254 Posts
what about the fuel cap holder on the door? i think it works quite well.

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also think the gas cap should be fastened. I have knocked my gas cap off several times by accident and seems it always rolls under the vehicle! I now just hold it in my hand to be sure it doesn't get knocked off and I don't drive off and leave it.
John

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree the gas cap should be attached. My Ranger pickup has a short plastic line that holds the cap. I feel this is better that the holder but this is a very small complaint.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sorry folks, I have to disagree (hopefully not to disagreeably).
  1. The gas cap is held quite well if you simply set it in the holder and give it a little twist to the right. I dislike those straps that get in my way and let the cap dangle against the body.
  2. After you've driven the Ody for a while you'll learn where the controls are. I don't have any problem using them in the dark. There are already enough wires running into the steering column. I'd rather see better taillights and brake lights than see any effort/expense invested here.
  3. Similar comment as above. However, I believe someone mentioned that the light switch assembly is the same as one used in an Accord, which is lighted, so you can change it, if you like. Regarding the mirrors, I never have to adjust them once I've started driving. A light might be nice but it's certainly not a very major flaw.
  4. While the shifter path is more complex than some other vehicles, the path from Park through Drive is very simple: pull the handle toward you then up or down.
  5. I've got a '01 (with a CR-V golf ball know) so the shift handle length isn't as much of a problem as it may be for you '02 owners. In operation it makes more sense to have the actively used controls, wipers and turn signals, on opposite sides rather than having them both on the same side.[/list=a]

Just my $0.02 worth,
    Mel

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think there should be darned light in the glove box!!!!

We use that center console flip out tray to hold trash for the moment. The trash is lit up.

Interior lights should be on about a 60 second timeout when ignition key is removed. Kids love to leave those on.

The problematic Cargo Cover (seriously reconsider it if you haven't bought it yet) blocks light from cargo area.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I agree with all these threads. We can do something about it, but then we would be on a Junkstar or Carryingmyvan website griping on how we only had it a week and they were replacing the whole van cause everything was wrong with it.
I am a new foreign car owner. For years I was faithful the the American Automobile Industry and I was initially uncomfortable with buying Japanese. But I have found that the quality is there even if the creature comforts aren't. I will either learn to live with it, or modify it to comply with my needs.
I will start with the horn. I hate that [email protected]%n thing! Just hate it! It would work fine on a VW Beetle but not on the Odyssey.
Next are some floor level lighting and glove box lighting. Then anything else that I fancy.

Fred

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 02-11-2002).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have one more:

6) Automatic door locks - my GM, with all of it's flaws, has a nice feature with the doors automatically locking when the transmission is put in gear, and automatically unlocking when the van is turned off. If you live or drive in the city, these are very handy security features.

------------------
01 Nissan Frontier SE CC
02 MB EX (Soon)

·
Registered
160 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FrontierOdy:
Automatic door locks - my GM, with all of it's flaws, has a nice feature with the doors automatically locking when the transmission is put in gear, and automatically unlocking when the van is turned off. If you live or drive in the city, these are very handy security features.

</font>
I HATE THIS "FEATURE" MORE THAN ANY OTHER GEE-GAW, DO-DAD, WIDGET, THINGY THAT DETROIT HAS FOISTED ON US!!! Whenever I get in my father's Venture and those locks override my cerebrum I just want to take a hammer to it. You bet I unlock it. Not going to catch me unconcious in a burning car and a rescuer unable to open the door.

I was so thankful that Honda didn't have this annoyance. It would have been my first mod the first weekend.

Now, that gets me thinking. Maybe connect the slider/trans interlock to the door locks. I sure don't want it, but I'm sure someone with a wiring diagram could figure it out.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by overmyheadcam:
I HATE THIS "FEATURE" MORE THAN ANY OTHER GEE-GAW, DO-DAD, WIDGET, THINGY THAT DETROIT HAS FOISTED ON US!!!...</font>
Same here.

I think of those automatic door locks as a real Rube Goldberg:<center>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts