Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW, I just put the third coat of Zaino Z-2 on my truck.

I didn't have to wash it or dust it in prep for this coat, so everything was pretty much ready to go when I went out to the garage.

The garage is about 50 degrees and the humidity is moderate. It could possibly be a bit lower, but I have no way to know for sure.

The 4Runner is a bit smaller than the Ody, but has a lot more nooks and crannys, so I think the time to do either would be about the same.

The last thing I'd like to mention is that I didn't do the roof again this time. Also, I wasn't hurrying.

Okay, here's the point of the post: The application and buffing took no longer than 35 minutes, start to finish, and may have been as little as 25 minutes.

Granted, first coats of clay, Z-1 and Z-2 take longer to apply and remove because it's more critical on those steps to get perfect coverage. I don't have any sense that I skimped on this one, just that I wasn't particularly worried about it.

The bottom line is that regardless of any other claims of long drying times, difficulty in application, whatever, this is where "the rubber meets the road". Maintainence of this series of products is as close to effortless as it gets. The only easier way to keep your car showroom fresh has to be just to have someone else do it!

Another point is this: I have ordered 1 bottle of Z-1, 2 bottles of Z-2 and some of the other products and I still use the same clay I originally bought (Maguiar's). With these products, I applied, I believe, seven coats of Z-2 to the Ody, six to the Celica, three to the 4Runner, and one app each to friends' Saturn, Corolla and Eclipse, for a total of six coats of Z-1 and nineteen coats of Z-2.

Right now, I'm just about out of Z-1 and still have most of the second bottle of Z-2 left. This points up two things: First that you use VERY LITTLE of the product. This is why, realistically drying time is not usually a problem (I checked the coat I was putting on this morning and the Z-2 where I started was dry by the time I got to the third or fourth panel; long before I was ready to remove it). Second, that it can hardly be called expensive if you use it properly.

Just thought some of you would like to know if you're still trying to accumulate the facts about these products. I'm not saying there's not something better out there, but this is the easiest to use, longest lasting stuff I've ever used, but who knows, YMMV. Take care.

------------------
Chuck K,
Self-elected President, Vice President, Sergeant-at Arms and one and only member of the, now official, Former Ody Owners chapter of the OdyClub, founded 2/02/2002.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Any tips on how to put it on thin?

My main problem seems to be putting it on too thick. The other day I was putting on Z2 with ZFX, and I guess I put it on too thick, because I gave up taking it off at one point and waited a while longer. I guess I'm trained to make a definite haze when I put wax on, and it isn't really necessary in this case.

Also, I seem to have problems convincing myself that I have proper coverage, until the applicator seems to get saturated. After that I can put on coats with very little product, but til that point I seem to run through it. As an example, I mixed an ounce of Z5 for my truck. The first coat seemed to take about 3/4 of the ounce. I started thinking that I would need to mix more for the second coat, but I finished the second coat with Z5 to spare as I just continued with the same applicator.

Any thoughts? Do you use the Zaino applicators? Others seem to think foam only applicators allow you to get thinner coats.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by turnipgreen:
Any tips on how to put it on thin?

My main problem seems to be putting it on too thick. The other day I was putting on Z2 with ZFX, and I guess I put it on too thick, because I gave up taking it off at one point and waited a while longer. I guess I'm trained to make a definite haze when I put wax on, and it isn't really necessary in this case.

Also, I seem to have problems convincing myself that I have proper coverage, until the applicator seems to get saturated. After that I can put on coats with very little product, but til that point I seem to run through it. As an example, I mixed an ounce of Z5 for my truck. The first coat seemed to take about 3/4 of the ounce. I started thinking that I would need to mix more for the second coat, but I finished the second coat with Z5 to spare as I just continued with the same applicator.

Any thoughts? Do you use the Zaino applicators? Others seem to think foam only applicators allow you to get thinner coats.
</font>
Yes, I use the Z applicators, mostly because they're so compact and I suppose that's step one in preventing waste. You should make a definite effort NOT to saturate them. Anything that stays in the app is wasted, so just get a bit on the surface.

I could show this a lot easier than I can explain it, but the next thing I do is just barely touch the tip of the bottle to the applicator in 6-10 places on the app or spread the thinnest possible line on the app and then fold it in half to spread it around the cloth surface.

Finally, I try to barely lay any onto the paint. It sounds wrong, but if I can just barely see the lines of polish on the paint as I wipe the app in straight lines, it has proven to be just the right amount.

Here's an important point: With wax, we've always learned to use a bit of pressure to try to rub it INTO the paint. This isn't what you're trying to do with Z-2. You may want to use a little more pressure when applying Z-1, but with Z-2 you're just trying to lay on a light layer. The chemical process does all the rest.

Fortunately, learning to apply it in very thin layers is very easy once you're convinced that you actually end up with a better job that way. Good luck.

------------------
Chuck K,
Self-elected President, Vice President, Sergeant-at Arms and one and only member of the, now official, Former Ody Owners chapter of the OdyClub, founded 2/02/2002.

[This message has been edited by Chuck (edited 03-14-2002).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts