Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm so glad to be getting rid of my 1994 Pathfinder. This was my 'dream' vehicle from when I first saw one in 1988. However, the vehicle just didn't live up to the what I had envisioned. Here are the big problems:

- lack of room lack of room lack of room. I cannot fit 2 car seats and 3 people in.
BIIIG negative.
- lack of cupholders!!! This is more of an issue than it seems. I take this thing all over the southeast and not having cupholders has been a HUGE issue. I use window-based cupholders and end up spilling the contents of my coffee or Slurpee on the carpet about twice a month as I'm raising the window and forget about the d*** thing. The only alternative for this vehicle was (a) a nifty cupholder made by overlandoutfitters(?) which hooked into the ashtry but unfortunately they dropped the mold & broke it about the same time I was going to order it and didn't plan to retool (old vehicle and all) or (b) find a wrecked 95 Pathfinder to swipe the center console lid from (they finally put in a couple of cupholders in the last year they made the hardbody version of this!)
- lack of power (that V6 really chugs on the hills around Nashville even w/ 'power' mode enabled)
- expensive to repair. Everytime this goes into the shop, it seems like I get a bill for $1000.

Ok, that's not to say that I am against SUVs or the Pathfinder; rather its a lesson in buying something 'because you've always wanted it' (ie 'passion') versus doing actual research (this forum & edmunds.com, etc.) on what your needs are and finding the appropriate vehicle. I hope that's what I'm doing this time w/ the Ody.

Do I think the Ody is the panacea for all my woes? No. I just think its a well-made vehicle that should provide safety & durability (not to mention a little flash!) for my family for many years to come.

Lack of sunroof: I don't think this is an issue w/ the Ody. I can tell you I wanted a sunroof BAD so when I got the Pfinder, I got one w/ a sunroof.

Big deal. Hardly noticed it being there. My 1976 Monte Carlo w/ a power sunroof I used when crusing around my high-school parking lot got alot more use. I've come to realize that now since I'm 35 and married, having a sunroof so I can 'impress the chicks' (come on! That's what it was for!) is not a valid enough reason for having one. Sure, it was fun to take off occasionally but I don't think I'll miss it so much on the van.

With the countdown to Ody 2001 approaching, I'm getting more reflective on the whole purchase; reassuring myself this is the right choice and pointing out mistakes I've made in the past.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question, Nemogira.

They (AB) told me it shipped on the 6th of June so 'any day now' is the response I got from them :\

I want it to be TODAY! Not 'any day'! Actually, my local credit union is running a special...6.9% APR on any loan (36, 60 or (yikes) 72! mos) starting tomorrow so this may be the perfect time for buying (if you're going to need a loan).

...must....have....van....cant...stand..not....having...it...

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Well I guess that throws out the theory that "You don't what you are missing". Apparently (with the help of everyone here) you DO know what you're missing!

But please inform when it finally DOES come in so we all could share your excitement.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts