Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 2000 Honda Odyssey EX with 164,000 miles. The other day I noticed an oily substance caked around a hose in the engine compartment, as if there was a slow leak of some sort. I cleaned up the area in order to see if there was a leak and now some oily fluid is back. I attached a couple of pictures and the hose goes into the power steering fluid reservoir. Is this a power steering fluid leak? Does anyone know how easy or expensive this would be to repair?

Also, my Odyssey transmission has been having issues for the last year or two. Shifts from 1st to 2nd are rough, as if it holds 1st gear too long. Shifts from 2nd to 3rd aren't as bad, and 3rd to 4th shifts are normal. KBB says the car is only worth maybe $4k but probably closer to $3k. I change the transmission fluid every year because I heard that can help the transmission last longer. Since the transmissions are weak for this model year, should I just sell the van now while it works or drive it until the transmission dies? It's not my primary vehicle anymore, just use it for moving large items and things on the weekends. The transmission has been having issues for a while but the van runs fine. And there is a loud clunk when I drive in reverse...one clunk and then it sounds normal. Not sure if that's the tranny again or something else. If any of you have any ideas or recommendations, I would really appreciate it. IMG_0688.jpg IMG_0689.jpg

Thanks,
Nathan R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, and I'm the original owner of this vehicle and it has the original transmission still.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I'll check my van tonite but the PS hose looks like it is sliding off the connection to the PS pump. Try to push the hose toward the front of the van to reattach and see if that helps.

You may have failing motor mounts with the clunk in reverse. The delayed shifting from 1 to 2 can be a result of a failing 2nd Gear Pressure Switch (part # 28600-P7Z-003 and gasket part # 90471-PW7-A00 around $50 online). Drain and fills of fresh Honda ATF are good PM as well.

I don't think your van is done yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for helping me out!

I put some more picture up that show the hose feeding into the power steering fluid reservoir. I tried pushing the hose forward (towards the front of the van) but it didn't seem to budge much. I noticed some bolts, so maybe I could try tightening those. I'm wondering if I tighten the metal bracket that the hose slides into, if that will stop the leak? I'm not sure how that piece connects to the smaller metal pipe (shown where the red circle is in one of the pictures).

Is the 2nd gear pressure switch replacement an easy repair? How about motor mounts?

Overall, this van has been trouble free for me and I've beaten the heck out of it over the years (hauled lots of heavy stuff, took it off roading when I went hunting). Right now I have General Altimax Arctic winter tires on it and the van is a TANK in the snow. Most of the maintenance was done by my high school buddy who is a mechanic at a Honda dealer. Timing belt, spark plugs, and fluids at 100,000. New catalytic converter shortly thereafter. I've been using synthetic motor oil since about 100,000 miles and that has made cold starts much better. My buddy who is a Honda mechanic said the ONLY weak part of the 2000 Odyssey is the transmission. He has seen many Odysseys with over 200,000 miles on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I think that pressure hose is all one assembly. Get the torque specs for the mounting bolts before you tighten them. Those aluminum parts can break very easily.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Looks like the inlet O-ring and O-ring under the high pressure hose are both leaking. Consider putting in new O-rings in the P.S. pump, especially if the pump has never been serviced. There are about a half dozen O-rings in there; after a while they get very brittle.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
After looking at my van last night, I have slight staining in that area too but I would not consider it a leak. The hose looks like you cannot move it as I thought previously.

To me, your photos don't show a problem with leaking PS fluid. Usually people have a leaking O-ring at the PS reservoir end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the feedback! I'm not going to worry about. The reservoir is still full so maybe it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I am not sure but I might have a similar problem. I keep thinking its engine oil leak but cannot figure out if its that or PS. When the car is parked I hear dripping, a single drop but cannot see anything on the floor except the engine oil. I can see that at the drain plug and its only a drop or two overnight. I still hear that drop and looks like it is falling on the service panel. I will take some pics this week. Just looking in from top, the pas side cv boot looks like fresh grease, I see some trans fluid on the drivers side, the PS pump area looks very dirty, the entire bottom looks like wet oil. Since its been bad weather here, could not tell. I will try to narrow it this weekend. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Leaking PS fluid can look very similar to engine oil. It is common to develop a leak at the inlet hose on the PS reservoir. A new O-ring usually solves the leak. Pictures and location of the dripping would help us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts