Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I parked in the garage, shut the engine off, key out of ignition, I lift the handle of the sliding door where it automatically opens, the door doesn't slide all the way. I'd say 3/4 of the way. Thats the same as the passengers side too. But when I used the key fob to open it, the sliding doors opened all the way this time.

Does any one have this issue?

·
Registered
216 Posts
As I parked in the garage, shut the engine off, key out of ignition, I lift the handle of the sliding door where it automatically opens, the door doesn't slide all the way. I'd say 3/4 of the way. Thats the same as the passengers side too. But when I used the key fob to open it, the sliding doors opened all the way this time.

Does any one have this issue?
The sliding doors do not open all the way if the window is partially open to prevent crushing a child who might have their head hanging out the window.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sliding doors do not open all the way if the window is partially open to prevent crushing a child who might have their head hanging out the window.
Really?! wow Thanks. My window was down half way. I haven't tried it but, isnt our sliding doors suppose to go back even if a single finger is in the way of the closing door? A dealer demostrated that to us. I cringed as it came closer to his pinky! And for the sliding door to not close all the way when a window is down I say good job honda for putting in that safety feature.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Really?! wow Thanks. My window was down half way. I haven't tried it but, isnt our sliding doors suppose to go back even if a single finger is in the way of the closing door? A dealer demostrated that to us. I cringed as it came closer to his pinky! And for the sliding door to not close all the way when a window is down I say good job honda for putting in that safety feature.
Our 05 Ody had that feature, can't remember if our 02 did. IIRC our 11 Sienna also had this feature.

Did you know that with the 11-12 Ody you don't have to be in Park anymore to open the side doors? As long as your foot is on the brake and the vehicle speed is less than 1-2mph (I don't remember the exact speed), the power doors will open even if you're in Drive.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So thats why mine did that once. I thought it was broken.

Noice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
With the window down, a child might have their hands or even head out the window. If the sliding door opened all the way, they might injure their arm or head or other body part. By only opening 2/3s of the way, this is a safety feature to prevent such accidents.

Good thing Honda has thought of such safety features.

:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
So, if the window is half way down but you open it with the key remote the kid is out of luck :stupid:

That is what I'm referring to
Unless I'm mistaken, the OP clarified in a later post that the windows were up when the doors opened all the way, but the windows were half open when the doors only opened part way. It doesn't matter whether you use the remote or the door handle to activate the motor, the result is the same.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What about when you use the pillar power sliding door switch?

:stupid:

Allright, allright, off-topic
Anything that activates the motor will have the same result. I honestly don't know what will happen if you try to manually open the door because I haven't tried it.

On a slightly different topic, if the gas door is open and you try to use the remote to open the left door, all you get is a beep. The door is locked when the gas door is opened, so that disables the exterior handle. I don't know what would happen if you tried to force it open from the inside. No matter how well engineered something is, I suppose there is always a way to be dumb enough to defeat it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Anything that activates the motor will have the same result. I honestly don't know what will happen if you try to manually open the door because I haven't tried it.
Well if you manually open the sliding door without seeing your daughter's arm sticking out the window, well that's just too bad for them! Just kidding . . .

:DD

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I haven't tried it but, isnt our sliding doors suppose to go back even if a single finger is in the way of the closing door? A dealer demostrated that to us. I cringed as it came closer to his pinky!
I don't know how the dealer demonstrated it but don't try it, it will likely fail. The OM is very clear on that, give it a read.

On a slightly different topic, if the gas door is open and you try to use the remote to open the left door, all you get is a beep. The door is locked when the gas door is opened, so that disables the exterior handle. I don't know what would happen if you tried to force it open from the inside. No matter how well engineered something is, I suppose there is always a way to be dumb enough to defeat it.
Now that we are off-topic, don't get me started on the gas door. Not sure why the design is so poor, and I beat pricy. I own a cheapo Mazda5, and the system is very simple. If the gas door is open (i.e. you are filling-up and somebody wants to get out), the sliding door stops before it hits it. If the gas door gets opened while the sliding door is already open, nothing happens, the sliding door can close without crushing/scratching the gas door.

There is even a TSB for it... yeah, yeah, Honda :rollingeyes:

Well if you manually open the sliding door without seeing your daughter's arm sticking out the window, well that's just too bad for them! Just kidding . . .

:DD
And Honda will get sued for not proofing it properly :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know how the dealer demonstrated it but don't try it, it will likely fail. The OM is very clear on that, give it a read.

And Honda will get sued for not proofing it properly :p
If it fails then thats when we talk about your comment above. I just tried it with my arm. And yes it still works. If it ever fails in 10 years or so, then Honda has some explaining to do.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No video sorry. Okay I even went ahead and placed my pinky at the edge. I'm very surprised it went back. Amazingly the pressure on the finger isn't that much. Scary but didn't hurt me. I guess it works like a garage door or something. Anyway,

Just to let you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bringing this one back to life because I'm still stuck - the lower hinge assembly has a spring loaded bracket that extends when the window is rolled a few inches down. The bracket will stop the door when it hits a stopper (seriously, it's a door stop mounted in the track by two 10mm bolts). When the window is rolled back up a cable pulls the bracket back into the stowed position. My issue is that the safety mechanism remains deployed with the window up. Though I had it fixed last night but now it's doing it again. I'm going to try to the full reset procedure next, but does anyone know if this cable that retracts the bracket is commanded by a motor in the window or if it's mechanically controlled by window position? I don't wan't to spend Saturday chasing an electrical/switch logic solution if is a snapped cable somewhere in the door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts