Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went camping this weekend and someone pointed out the black soot on the exhaust pipe and said the engine wasn't running right.
Apparently, the black soot on the exhaust pipe is an indication that the engine is running too rich. He asked how my gas mileage was and I replied that it was never what I had expected: 18/25. It's been about 16/23. I just thought I had a lead foot.
Has anyone else noticed black soot on their exhaust pipe? Is he on to something?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I don't see it on ours. Do you have an idea how long the black soot has been there ? It's most likely running rich. How about your daily drives ? Short trips ? Enough to get the engine up to normal operating temp or not ? You might want to take it in to your dealer and have it adjusted. On Toyotas, there's an adjustment on the AFM (air flow meter) to make it run lean or rich. Not sure about Hondas.
Good luck.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's about 5k miles on the Ody. I don't know how long the soot has been there though.
My daily driving is about 15 miles each way to work and back.
We've gone camping a couple of times and pulled a folding tent trailer that weighs about 2000 pounds. Would that cause the engine to run rich?
I think I will have the dealer look at it the next time I get the oil changed. In the meantime, I will wipe the exhaust pipe clean and see how long it takes to turn black again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have noticed the same thing on mine (Approx. 24,000Miles/40,000Km). Mostly Highway driving, never towed anything. I also have a problem with the Check Engine & TCS lights coming on intermittently since April. My next visit to my dealer is schedule for September 17.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM:
There's about 5k miles on the Ody. I don't know how long the soot has been there though.
My daily driving is about 15 miles each way to work and back.
We've gone camping a couple of times and pulled a folding tent trailer that weighs about 2000 pounds. Would that cause the engine to run rich?
I think I will have the dealer look at it the next time I get the oil changed. In the meantime, I will wipe the exhaust pipe clean and see how long it takes to turn black again.
</font>

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I used to contribute frequently to a Saturn newsgroup. One troll was well-known for flaming owners and bashing the vehicles (though he apparently never owned one). His usual troll was about oil burning, a symptom some owners have (maybe on the order of power door problems for Odyssey). When a poster commented that he had some black soot in his tailpipe, the troll of course responded hyping that he had the oil burning problem. Fortunately, someone with more sense took an informal survey of cars in their parking lot, and concluded that all cars must burn oil. It's nice that this forum hasn't picked up any Odyssey bashers! Anyway, our 2001 has dark grey soot in the tailpipe, as does our 2000 Subaru. I don't think I'd be concerned unless the deposits were huge, or forming all over the bumper around the tailpipe.

Incidentally, mileage here is now about 19/26, with no short trips.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments.
I am definitely not an expert in car exhaust and I wouldn't normally think anything about a black tailpipe, but when someone points it out to me and says it is a problem, it causes concern.
I did wipe the tailpipe clean a couple of weeks ago and it is still pretty much clean. Maybe the soot that used to be there was from the initial break-in period.
I'm still going to mention it to the dealer when I get the Ody serviced in another 1000 miles. The person that originally told me there was a problem also said the dealer could hook the car up to a computer and know immediately if there really was a problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
According to the service advisor at my local dealer I visited yesterday for the 5th time for intermittent CEL & TCS lighting up and the engine refusing to rev above 3,000 RPM. She told me that sooth at the tail pipe is probably related to a faulty EGR valve.

It took 5 visit for them to come up with the EGR valve as the culprit. I had told them during my 1st visit in April 2001 that several owners had complained of similar probelms and that after they had replaced the EGR valve, the problem was cured.

Do not accept sooth in the tailpipe as a normal condition, it is not. It is indicating that the fuel/air mixture is too rich. We used to see that alot back in the 1970 with caburator equipped engines and the culprit was the automatic choke which would not disengage.

I suggest that you visit your dealer and ask them to verify the emission at the tailpipe with a CO tester and or emission testing machine.

Best regards from Montreal

RobertC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM:
Thanks for the comments.
I am definitely not an expert in car exhaust and I wouldn't normally think anything about a black tailpipe, but when someone points it out to me and says it is a problem, it causes concern.
I did wipe the tailpipe clean a couple of weeks ago and it is still pretty much clean. Maybe the soot that used to be there was from the initial break-in period.
I'm still going to mention it to the dealer when I get the Ody serviced in another 1000 miles. The person that originally told me there was a problem also said the dealer could hook the car up to a computer and know immediately if there really was a problem.
</font>

------------------
Gone to serve another customer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Originally posted by caviller: I used to contribute frequently to a Saturn newsgroup. One troll was well-known for flaming owners and bashing the vehicles (though he apparently never owned one."

I've been wondering for a while now if your the same Cavilier who used to post in a Saturn forum. The troll you speak of is mostly gone but pops up once and a while to quote click and clack, of all things, when ever anyone asks about timing chains. What a total moron. In general though, it's a more enjoyable place lately. You should come back.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
"Originally posted by caviller: I used to contribute frequently to a Saturn newsgroup. One troll was well-known for flaming owners and bashing the vehicles (though he apparently never owned one."

I've been wondering for a while now if your the same Cavilier who used to post in a Saturn forum. The troll you speak of is mostly gone but pops up once and a while to quote click and clack, of all things, when ever anyone asks about timing chains. What a total moron. In general though, it's a more enjoyable place lately. You should come back.
</font>
Hehe. One and the same. Unfortunately, I traded the Saturn on the Odyssey, and just don't have the time to contribute. I still try to skim the newsgroup weekly. In fact, I have made a few posts there this week. One in response to said person. Ever since this person recommended that someone trade in their Saturn because no carseats would fit, I have been very leery of their advice on just about any subject. For example, would you spend $1300 in parts costs to add an aftermarket traction control system when a better and cheaper solution is an aftermarket differential that limits slip? I can't imagine the bad advice this person gives on other newsgroups and forums.

Really, I have nothing personal against this poster, or anyone really. In fact, the amusing posts from this person were the main reason I visited the forum while I owned my Saturn. Playing devil's advocate with people who think they know-it-all (but don't) is a fun diversion for me:) It sort of goes with the name...

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 09-19-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts