Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to say, but Honda still hasn't put the power where it should be in the torque curve. While the dyno may say that the Ody has more power than the Ford or the Dodge, it doesn't feel like it. Both the Ford and the Dodge will get up and go immediately if you put your foot into them. The Ody on the other hand can still feel like it's deciding whether or not to kick in depending on where your RPM's are when you step on it. I didn't buy the Ody for racing :), but still it feels a little sluggish at times. Glad I didn't get a previous year considering the '02 is supposed to be a big improvement.

Scott

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
On the street, Ody does just fine against other minivans.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I traded an '88 Ford Aerostar 3.0L with trailer gears, 3.73:1 and limited slip. Off the line to about 20mph, no question the Aerostar would wax my '02 Ody, but after that it wouldn't be a race. Seems the American brands build in more off the line power then many imports, but since it's only a small part of the driving equation, I prefer the overall power of the Ody.

BTW. I test drove an '02 Grand Caravan ES with the 3.8L a few minutes before driving a used '99 Ody (no '02 Ody demo available) and while yes the Grand Caravan felt like it had more bottom end power from a stop, the 50 to 75mph power really dropped off. Unless the GC loosed up alot, the '99 Ody (39K miles) and '02 Ody would cook the CG 3.8L to freeway speeds and for passing power. IMO.

-Mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you actually "floored" your minivan? Mine hauls booty. I was quite impressed and my old car was a sports sedan. I just went on a long trip and when you want to pass someone...this thing moves. 55mph --> 85mph is a blast. My guess is that your talking about spirited but not "pedal to the metal" driving. To me, the Ody feels like any other automatic I've ever driven in this regard.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ExFordOwner:
Sorry to say, but Honda still hasn't put the power where it should be in the torque curve. While the dyno may say that the Ody has more power than the Ford or the Dodge, it doesn't feel like it. Both the Ford and the Dodge will get up and go immediately if you put your foot into them. The Ody on the other hand can still feel like it's deciding whether or not to kick in depending on where your RPM's are when you step on it. I didn't buy the Ody for racing :), but still it feels a little sluggish at times. Glad I didn't get a previous year considering the '02 is supposed to be a big improvement.

Scott
</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't know what y'all are feeling, but, I would guess it is the extra torque of the 3.8, pushrod motors, at low speed. As for me, my '01 feels real good at any speed and the initial throttle tip-in response is one of the best I have ever driven.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well... there is about a 1.5-2 second difference in 0-60 between the Dodge and Ford and two seconds is quite significant. So seat of the pants is one thing but numbers don't lie. The '02 Honda Odyssey is is fastest minivan in production.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Seems the American brands build in more off the line power then many imports,</font>
That's always been the case.

I wonder if that's because so many decisions are made at the initial test drive, which is 5 minutes around the block...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Americans cars may have more power, But how about longevity. But will they last as long.

------------------
Odyssey 2002 Granite Green with DVD. Mudguards, and Fender flares.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I dunno; now that Honda has stooped to putting out bulletins that include using JB Weld as the fix, they're as American as Chrysler now.

What's next? Stop-Leak for coolant problems? Motor Honey for valve problems?

<sigh> I'm seriously, *seriously* giving thought to getting out of my EXL-RES before it starts seeping oil OUT THE POROUS ENGINE BLOCK and just getting an entry level ChryCo van; spend a little bit of money and call it disposable, and get on with my life.

That "porous engine block" bulletin is very real, and has been out for a few years now. And Honda should be damned ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am amazed how much power my Ody puts out. Once I was going up a hill on a LONG straight road with only one lane. Then there was an empty Crysler Taxi tailgating me. I didn't do anything about it and kept driving along with my 6 other firends in my ody.

Then we finally reached the passing lane and the taxi immediately cut into the left lane and floored it's pedal. I too immediately stomped on the gas and my engine screamed once I passed 4500rpm. I expected the taxi to pass me easily since there was only one person in that AMERICAN car where as my Ody was FULL. But as we approached the passing lane's end, the taxi was still right beside me with both of our engine still screaming.

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ExFordOwner:
Both the Ford and the Dodge will get up and go immediately if you put your foot into them.</font>
Until their transmission snaps, anyway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
...before it starts seeping oil OUT THE POROUS ENGINE BLOCK....That "porous engine block" bulletin is very real, and has been out for a few years now. And Honda should be damned ashamed of themselves.</font>
Adam,

I've never heard of this porous engine block. Hmmm....it's not April 1st....where can I find out more about this?

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
I am amazed how much power my Ody puts out. Once I was going up a hill on a LONG straight road with only one lane. Then there was an empty Crysler Taxi tailgating me. I didn't do anything about it and kept driving along with my 6 other firends in my ody.

Then we finally reached the passing lane and the taxi immediately cut into the left lane and floored it's pedal. I too immediately stomped on the gas and my engine screamed once I passed 4500rpm. I expected the taxi to pass me easily since there was only one person in that AMERICAN car where as my Ody was FULL. But as we approached the passing lane's end, the taxi was still right beside me with both of our engine still screaming.
</font>
Why would you intentionally prevent someone from passing you in a passing lane? Unless I missed something, I would say you were being a jerk. The other car wanted to go faster, but you didn't think he should be allowed to drive faster than your speed? I'm not trying to flame, I just get annoyed with vigilante drivers. Driving like that may cause an accident someday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I test drove the Honda Odyssey (compared to the other models), I too was a little disappointed by the acceleration because of the Honda's larger engine size. However, I learned through the automobilemag.com web site that (this review is based on the 2000 model but I believe similar comments apply to the 2002 model):
"The Odyssey is also the first minivan to provide honest-to-God steering feel. Less heroic is the 3.5-liter VTEC V-6, which makes 205 bhp (on regular fuel--premium fuel will eke out a bit more). That figure is near the top of the class, but the engine doesn’t feel very peppy because Honda engineers tuned the powertrain for fuel economy--and got 26 mpg on the highway--rather than acceleration. "

As a note, the 2002 Odyssey has 240 horsepower.

-Tarheel in Maryland

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why would you intentionally prevent someone from passing you in a passing lane?

Ditto. It would have been safer and more considerate had you allowed him to pass and move on, rather than using your vehicle full of friends as a roadblock.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Then we finally reached the passing lane and the taxi immediately cut into the left lane and floored it's pedal. I too immediately stomped on the gas and my engine screamed once I passed 4500rpm. I expected the taxi to pass me easily since there was only one person in that AMERICAN car where as my Ody was FULL. But as we approached the passing lane's end, the taxi was still right beside me with both of our engine still screaming.</font>
EErrrrr!!

------------------

·
Registered
251 Posts

</font>
The Chrysler taxi probably had the base engine. I can't see how anyone would buy a fully loaded minivan as a taxi. And yes, what you did was pretty dumb, to say the least. And what was the point capitalizing the word "American"?

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
75 Posts
Every 0-60mph, 1/4 mile figure I've seen so far has put the Odyssey at the top. While it's interesting to speculate on the anecdotal "feels slower" stories...the evidence suggest quite strongly that the Honda accelerates faster than any other minivan.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm thinking that it's time to drag for slips. Anybody?

·
Registered
40 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
I'm thinking that it's time to drag for slips. Anybody?</font>
I've got a G-Tech!
George
SSEXL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts