Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I thought I was a meticulous and fussy Odyssey owner comma needed here but you are way off the charts, which I love! I especially like your obsessiveness around ambient noise levels in Odysseys, and dare I say, ALL Honda products, and I heartily agree with you that from the very beginning, Honda has always skimped on noise attenuation. previous sentence has 4 commas and two "ands" this should be broken up into several sentences I've never been a fan of Toyota's joyless driving experience, but I have to hand it to them and the tomb-like quietness of their vehicles highlighted part doesn't make sense. What are you handing to Toyota: the joyless driving experience, or the tomb-like quietness? , a quality that Honda has never bothered to emulate comma needed here much less surpass.
Touché!!!

The super long sentence is not grammatically incorrect, though I grant you, it is stylistically awkward.

I was giving kudos to Toyota for producing vehicles, in all classes, that are consistently quieter than their Honda counterparts. I apologize for the confusing sentence.

I acknowledge the missing commas.

Unfortunately for me, I can no longer go back and insert the appropriate corrections in my original reply to you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
avesraggiana :

You are definitely correct about my grammar. I was fired up when I typed that posting out. I pounded my response out in seconds because I was going to be late getting on the road to an appointment.....I just had to make those comments.

I am an avid Honda/Acura fan. I will continue lamenting their shortcomings until the stars fall from the sky because I know that they can do so much better. There are so many amazing people working and committed to the company.

After all my complaining I would never buy another product because I love the way Honda does their designs and their engineering. Acura design has been lacking as of late, till this new RDX.

If you read in the above listing of the sound attenuation measures that I put in place. I completed all the work about a week and a half ago. It took me about three days of non-stop work, scraped fingers and bruised arms. I also had a lot of goey glue stuck under my fingernails and on my hands that only starting fluid would release. BUT, I can say beyond a doubt that I have THE quietest and most luxurious sounding driving Odyssey on the road. I performed this to my 2013 EX-L as well and it did the same to the drive. The interior is so quiet and the vehicle sounds so solid that a ride in it is truly a pleasure. If Honda could work out all the bugs that I've mentioned in another thread ...... these vans would be the pinnacle of enjoyment on the road in their class, as well as compete with many vehicles not in the class.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Florida:
I have a 2019 EX-L. I had already planned to do multiple sound attenuating upgrades to the van when I purchased it. I noted that compared to my 2013 ….before the 2013 sound attenuating upgrades, that the 2019 EX-L was MUCH quieter from the factory than the 2013 EX-L. But I'm never satisfied with Honda's CHEEEEEEP way of doing things when it comes to the details. The bones are good but that's about as far as it goes these days. It's not anything like it was in the 90's. That's another conversation.

Ok, so the most important things that I see from the factory that SIGNIFICANTLY improves noise intrusion into the inside of the vehicle is:
1.) The noise attenuation layer they place in the side door windows both front and sliding.

There are other touches here and there inside the ELITE version that make additional attenuation of sound but none as powerful as the glass. I actually purchased the glass for the side windows on both the front and sliding doors for my EX-L and installed them all myself. I Found other quality issues inside my door panels that were deficiencies from the factory. Like:

1.) The pre-molded foam moisture and maintenance access opening shields in the amoeba shaped openings on the inner metal door panel were 3/4 circumference NOT bonded to the door panel. That's where the very cold air was coming from during the winter and also where murky humid hot air comes in during the summer while the van is in motion. I fixed that issue myself because the dealer tried it and FAILED. When I got back in there myself to perform window upgrades and other sound upgrades....I found their MESS!!!!

OK,....so that is a major improvement..... the sound attenuating window glasses.

Next. Honda never puts nearly enough sound attenuation under the carpets these days.....Until this van. There is a VERY thick layer of extruded foam under the most of the carpet area that would be exposed to the floor pan. I'd say 95% coverage with thick expanding foam.. However, it's not the good stuff. The good stuff is closed cell NEOPRENE - EPDM. So I pulled the carpet myself and added a NEOPRENE-EPDM 3/8" thick backing with 3M foam bonding adhesive anywhere around the edges of the carpet where they did not add enough.

Next. While the carpet was out I utilized a product called QuietCoat a QuietRock product. You can find this by the gallon on Amazon. I panted multiple coats off this elastomeric material that looks like a "thin-set" tile adhesive but it's something completely different. When it cures onto the floor pan areas it creates a tough yet dry chewing gum-like layer that bonds to the metal and deadens sound that travels throughout the unibody. This material is probably just about 1/4" thick after I finished my final coat of application. It takes about an hour in low humidity conditions to dry and then it takes three days for it to FULLY cure and bond. Once you pass the three day mark....WOW. It really quietens down the road noise and white noise that runs throughout the whole of the chassis.

Next, The inner fenders in the rear quarter panels were sound insulated using 30-50 durometer NEOPRENE-EPDM foam just like I told you I added under the carpet in places the manufacturer did not make it as thick as the rest(kick panel areas)(joint under the folding seat floor latching loop trim area). So, while I had the rear quarter panel inner fender interior plastic upholstery pieces out......I bonded the NEOPRENE-EPDM sheets I custom cut to every inch I could get to in the quarter panels on both sides. Yes! I had to remove several items to get back in there but I was already upgrading the speaker in the subwoofer box, adding poly-quilt batting inside the woofer box to enhance bass response, adding rear towing package, rear "kick" sensor for the rear door lift, and checking behind HONDA while I was in there doing these things. This is where I found a 1/2" wide section of floor pan beading sealant missing and the whole package/seat stowage area saturated with road water and grime. Glad I found this. You can read about it on another thread of mine. Ok so now I'm finished with the foam in the rear quarters.

Next. I pulled the inner fender liners on both the front and the rear wheel wells. The fronts are especially important because Honda did absolutely nothing but put a tiny little "pillow" inside and on top of the inner fender liners to absorb noise inside the void above the front wheel wells. I removed this temporarily and then used the 3/8" thickness NEOPRENE-EPDM foam and 3M spray bonded custom cut pieces of this foam to the back of the wheel well liner while paying close attention to be sure that I had cut out areas where grommets had to be pushed through holes in the inner fender liner and other areas of zero clearance to allow reinstallation to be unimpeded. I also painted on more of the QuietCoat to as much metal surface area hidden behind the inner fender liner that I could get to that didn't have wiring or other hardware items in the way. All this made a HUGE HUGE difference inside the vehicle while driving.

My final and last sound attenuation project is yet to be done because I have not performed my speaker system upgrade and this project will be done last on all four doors such that I have no intention to ever have to go back into the doors again for a long time. I will have to attach the Infinity Kappa Perfect 600 speaker crossovers on each door over the area where the rain shield cover pops into the door maintenance access opening. During this project I will use 3/4" NEOPRENE - EPDM foam with a 30-50 durometer resistance. I will custom cut strips to fit between the outer door panel cross-beam supports. Using the 3/4" thickness adds a significant dampening effect to the door panel. This greatly improves the air space inside the doors for use as a speaker box. The foam attenuates harmonics created by anything from outside as well as attenuates harmonic dissonance caused by the speaker in the door, which affects low frequency sound quality inside the vehicle.

Most people do not understand the physics of sound travel and it requires some understanding of that to be able to reduce/eliminate what you do not want while enhancing what you do want.

I do hope this description has been of some help to you.
Amazing writeup, thank you Triaque!! I'm installing new speakers this weekend and would like to do some additional soundproofing beyond just the doors. If I wanted to do a lot less thorough of a job than you but get the most bang for my time/materials spent and avoid the tricky/easy-to-screw-up parts, what should I prioritize? Under the carpet? Wheel wells? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2016 Elite and have a problem with road noise. Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin I have done some things to deaden the noise but have been only slightly successful.

I see in articles that the 2018 and 2019 Odysseys have acoustic foam sprayed in the frame. And that the Elite model has sound deadening side windows.

Is the cabin quieter in these models?
Most appreciable difference was the road/wind noise; engine roar was about equal during acceleration. The 2017 had a more complaint ride over rough patches but the 2019 felt more stable, but with you guessed it, a busier ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, so the most important things that I see from the factory that SIGNIFICANTLY improves noise intrusion into the inside of the vehicle is:
1.) The noise attenuation layer they place in the side door windows both front and sliding.

There are other touches here and there inside the ELITE version that make additional attenuation of sound but none as powerful as the glass. I actually purchased the glass for the side windows on both the front and sliding doors for my EX-L and installed them all myself. I Found other quality issues inside my door panels that were deficiencies from the factory. Like:
@Triaque HOW and WHERE did you find glass for the ELITE?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Guess we all have a bit too much time on our hands...no open bars, no nail salons, no gyms. What next? - having to take our shoes off to get past Airport Security??

·
Registered
262 Posts
I purchased the glass with the butyl sound attenuation later for the front and sliding doors from the dealer parts under dealer cost pricing. You may be able to find in a junk yard from an ELITE trim.

The biggest sound deadening is from adding foam to the back of the front wheel well liners. Next is adding polyfill sheeting or blanketing to the back of all interior panels. The next is adding neoprene foam sheeting to the back of the metal body panels.
Finally. Upgrading the glass is expensive but is a major sound attenuator in the Elite trim.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L
7 Posts
From my 2016, 2019 to 2020 EX-Ls...all started out relatively quiet and all except the 2020 had interior rattles after a few thousand miles. But the 2020 is by far the quietest. And I'm sure I'll be trading up to 2022 which will be quieter than all the previous 3 for a short while and then start to rattle...clunk...whatever. I would like a Touring or Elite but the EX-L is the sweet spot for cheap leasing and early trades after at least 9 months to 2 years.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts