Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a guy driving on the freeway yesterday with the spacesaver wheel on the front driver side. That can't be good for the transmission. Doesn't it say in the manual that you should always rotate the wheels so that the spacesaver is on a rear wheel?
I was tempted to pull him over and tell him...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
171 Posts
The ideal way is to put the spare on the rear, however, if you are in an emergency situation, I'd put it where it needs it. If I get a flat in the front, I'm not going to rotate the tires - I just want to get rolling ASAP, not to mention not having enough jacks to do the rotation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It didn't say in the manual not to put it on the front.

It did say to disable the TCS when driving with the spare.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Couldn't you jack up the rear, remove the good tire, put the spare on. Then, jack up the front, take off the flat tire, and put on the good rear tire?

However, as others have posted since, I would not recommend doing this on the side of any busy road/interstate! Better to change to the spare, and take the next exit to get to a safe place to change the wheels to the correct configuration. My first post was in response to the idea that you "didn't have enough jacks to do the job".

[This message has been edited by nwf_snake (edited 01-29-2002).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vquan:
...not to mention not having enough jacks to do the rotation.</font>
One jack is all it takes:<ul>[*]Jack up rear[*]Remove good rear[*]Mount spare on rear[*]Jack up front[*]Remove bad tire[*]Mount good tire from rear onto front[/list]

Out on the highway where the road isn't level, I'd rather have only one wheel raised at a time anyway.

Regards,

Maugham

[After posting this, I see that nwf_snake
had already said the same thing. I'm sorry for the repetition.]

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 01-24-2002).]

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Something like

"Brilliant Minds Think Alike"

seems to be a reasonable response!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Down here in Florida, people have a tendency to drive on the shoulder (or breakdown lane) at insane speeds. Its an additional passing lane to them. I'm gonna be changing that flat with the speed of a NASCAR pit crew and get my butt back on the road. Every second spent on the shoulder of an interstate road is one too many.

·
Registered
171 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nwf_snake:
Something like

</font>
Okay whatever... I still don't think it's all that brilliant to be on the road or shoulder longer than you have to.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vquan:
Originally posted by nwf_snake:
Something like

</font>
Okay whatever... I still don't think it's all that brilliant to be on the road or shoulder longer than you have to.
What you say about being safe makes sense; I guess I'd evaluate the situation at the time.

The last time I changed a flat was for a stranded motorist who had no idea how to change a tire or where the jack was secreted away in her borrowed Blazer. I got her to pull into a level parking lot another 100' down the highway, out of danger.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, Maugham, that's what I would do. Even if one has to ruin a tire by driving until a safe spot is located, it is the best move, for safety....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts