Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who haven't looked at you spare tire yet, check the wingnut holding down the tire.
I think mine was put on with an impact wrench! It took a pair of pliers to get it loosened up. Remove the nut, put a little grease on the screw and fingertighten the wingnut back on.
It'll make getting the spare tire out a lot less surprising for that first tire change on that dark rainy night in the middle of nowhere.

Jack

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check into that.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Checked mine for the first time before setting off for our Christmas trip. The spare hold down wing nut was loose and the spare was free to rattle around. The pressure was at about 50psi on my gage, a little low. Maybe some dealers actually check the pressure before delivering the Ody's to us. Also, the spare trap door latch doesn't, and will need adjusting. Probably a do-it-myself job, and as soon as it gets back up into the 30's outside, I'll look at it closer. This is the only problem I've found with the Ody so far.
-Mark

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Winter Blizzaks on GXE rims).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info on the spare tire wing nut, mine was impossible to get off by hand, had to use large pliers. Also found the spare at 55psi. checked all tires which were all between 25 and 28 psi as it is only 6 weeks since we took delivery of our 02 I assume the tires were not inflated to the proper 36 psi prior to delivery.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I checked mine out. Of course, I have the strength of ten men so I could not tell if it was too tight (unfortunatly the cholesterol of ten men as well).

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Spare Tire Well Latch

I resurrected this thread to see if anyone else's spare tire well door doesn't latch completely (as with Aardvaark's, above). On mine, when you push the well door down it "clicks," but then pops up without completely latching - I haven't really looked at it closely to see what type of adjustment can be done. It's not noticeable day to day since the well door is under two layers of carpet, but it is kind of annoying.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
latch problem

My spare tire wing nut also had to be loosened with a large adjustable wrench...and a great effort. Worked it up and down a bit and it now adjusts fine.

My latch never fully latched until I slammed the door shut. If I eased it down it would look latched but was not. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have you checked lug nut?

I've found on other vehicles that the lug nuts are put on incredibly tight. In fact, had to get a breaker bar to loosen them up. I don't know what the ody has for a lever to remove the lug nuts, but when I get mine next week, I'll be checking the lug nuts to be sure I can get them off if I have a flat.... (I also carry one of those small air compressors to try first: have used it several times to limp to gas stations to get slow leaks fixed).... Arne, CT, USA

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
You might also want to practice using the jack. It is secured in the back and doesn't come out easily. You have to collapse the jack slightly to get it out. It wasn't obvious to me at first, but I believe it is covered in the manual.

·
Registered
596 Posts
sweaver said:
Thanks for the tip. I checked mine out. Of course, I have the strength of ten men so I could not tell if it was too tight (unfortunatly the cholesterol of ten men as well).
You sound like me. But it took tools to loosen the wingnut on my Ody too. My spare was at 70 psi and my tires were at 44 psi at time of delivery. The ride is a bit busy with the tires that hard.:D

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
FW_in_OKC said:

You sound like me. But it took tools to loosen the wingnut on my Ody too. My spare was at 70 psi and my tires were at 44 psi at time of delivery. The ride is a bit busy with the tires that hard.:D
It would be a smooth ride over there in OKC compared to the streets of Tulsa. You guys get most of the road money over there since the governent is right there in your back yard. I know these things 'cause I lived a long time south of the city next to a nice university with a pretty good football team these days:D

·
Registered
596 Posts
rlpenny said:

It would be a smooth ride over there in OKC compared to the streets of Tulsa. You guys get most of the road money over there since the governent is right there in your back yard. I know these things 'cause I lived a long time south of the city next to a nice university with a pretty good football team these days:D
HAH!! No way. The reason so many SUV's are sold in this state is because it's almost the only thing that will survive the streets on OKC. What they do here is fill a pot hole and make a speed bump out of it. I-44 through town is bone-jaring rpugh. I-40 is falling apart and I-35v will be under construction till the year 2246.

Lets see, if Tulsa isn't getting the street improvements, and OKC isn't getting the street improvements, then some crooked politician must be building an new mansion somewhere.:mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oddly enough, the wing nut was loose on mine and had to be tightened -- I guess that balances the numbers of overtightened ones that others have . . .

The well door (which still doesn't latch), with seat track interference is certainly a questionable design, at best . . . . :rolleyes: A real contrast to the old Subarus that I had with the spare tire sitting on top of the engine - the older boxer (horizontally opposed) motors sit pretty low and allowed enough room for the donut to ride on top.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
FW_in_OKC said:
Lets see, if Tulsa isn't getting the street improvements, and OKC isn't getting the street improvements, then some crooked politician must be building an new mansion somewhere.:mad:
My vote is the crooked politician...I just read in the paper where several state lodges will have to be closed due to sewage problems (i.e. no maintenance performed for years). Someone has got to be getting that money. Gene Stipe perhaps?

·
Registered
596 Posts
rlpenny said:

Someone has got to be getting that money. Gene Stipe perhaps?
Gene Stipe FOR ONE! Plus all the others in there.:mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts