Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my 06 Odyssey EXL with 62000 km I experienced a shudder/subtle jerkiness when on a slight uphill grade. Pulled over and checked transmission fluid. Hot (from mountain driving), darkened, slight burnt smell. Concerned about transmission failure, found nearest Honda dealer and drove in 2nd gear about 20 miles. Told service advisor that I thought transmission was slipping in OD. Check engine light was on. Technician confirmed problem on road test. Diagnostic revealed misfire in #2 cylinder. Technician noted #2 plug was loose, no wrench required to remove. Insulator on electrode was broken and a small piece was missing. Changed plug and solved problem. Drove 1200 km home and did a 3X trans fluid change. My question is what was causing the jerkiness? I speculate the engine computer was having a brain hemorage due to the misfire and was calling for repeated up/downshifts in rapid succession because engine was misfiring. Would appreciate any input or similar experiences.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That is likely the issue as the transmission and engine work together and if one fails then the other will act up. Does the van run fine now? If it does then you're probably fine and after 3x fluid changes I am sure you will be ok as it wasn't the tranny in the first place that was causing your drivability problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had any noticeable problems since the plug was replaced, but have lost confidence in the van due to all the Odyssey transmission issues I have read about since this occurred.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
I have not had any noticeable problems since the plug was replaced, but have lost confidence in the van due to all the Odyssey transmission issues I have read about since this occurred.
You hear about accidents on the freeways every day. Did you stop driving on freeways?

·
Registered
411 Posts

:huh:

Your spark plug fails, failure gets diagnosed and repaired, van is working as it's supposed to now... and you're worried about the transmission? You were so worried about it, you even burnt hard-earned money changing the transmission fluid three times for a spark plug issue? :rollingeyes:

I'm not quite following your cause-and-effect train of thought here... :p

I would think if the tranny ever failed, it might be from driving it 20 miles in second gear... :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
:huh:

Your spark plug fails, failure gets diagnosed and repaired, van is working as it's supposed to now... and you're worried about the transmission? You were so worried about it, you even burnt hard-earned money changing the transmission fluid three times for a spark plug issue? :rollingeyes:

I'm not quite following your cause-and-effect train of thought here... :p

I would think if the tranny ever failed, it might be from driving it 20 miles in second gear... :)
Also note there is a program in the ECU called limp home,,, it locks up in 2nd gear,,, I don't know if a mis fire will signal the ECU to use this program,, seems like that's what it did

1 - 6 of 6 Posts