Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all my fellow Odyssey owners:

My #5 spark plug (middle one facing the engine) and coil were damaged on my 2006. Just about 7k miles over the 60k warranty. I have read multiple other issues relating to the coil melting, spark plug popping out and some other Ody owners reported their spark plugs loosening up causing it to make a ticking noise and then eventually melt up the coil and/or cause the spark plug to come off.
Are there any other Ody owners experiencing these symptoms? I will be calling Honda to see if they will Goodwill my issue as some other members here have had good luck when they approach Honda.

I'll keep you guys updated soon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
search...not all that uncommon...multiple threads on this.

Good luck with getting goodwill. Let's hope they cover it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep. 2007 Ody with 74,000 miles. Spark Plug melted so bad that the head had to be replaced. Honda agreed to pslit $2600 cost so $1300 was my cost. Dealer suggested all plugs be replaced (go figure) and also timing belt and watrer pump while it is torn apart. So all said $2000 out the door.

I still think Honda should have covered the entire cost. Obviously the plug that went bad was loose and was a problem from day one. They do not stand behind their products. This is my second van. the first one I went through 3 transmissions. My pilot I had a bad engine at 99,000 and no good will at all. I also have an 08 accord and keeping my fingers crossed. Probably will not by any more hondas!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I wonder how the factory workers installed spark plugs on Honda assembly line:

a- Is it by hand and torque it down using a torque wrench?

b- Is it by power tool, if so, was it calibrated properly?
I am thinking this is the way they did it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
#5 spark plug melting

We just had the same issue with our 2006 Odyssey which was at 55,000 miles. The #5 spark plug came loose and melted and caused extensive engine damage. We had it repaired at the service shop at the dealer where we bought it new (Buerkle Honda in Maplewood, MN). I had asked about getting goodwill coverage, and at first it seemed that that was a possibility since it was a rare but known problem, but in the end we were told that Honda would not cover any of the damage and we were stuck with a $7000 repair bill. I am still planning to appeal to Honda directly, but I am not hopeful if the dealer that sold us the car won't help us out. I will also re-post as that develops.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
...I had asked about getting goodwill coverage, and at first it seemed that that was a possibility since it was a rare but known problem, but in the end we were told that Honda would not cover any of the damage and we were stuck with a $7000 repair bill...
I don't understand why this costs $7000.

Read the post below by "Enginerd", you can buy this kit and Timesert and any competent shop can fix this for you for about $100 labor charge:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/151707-how-fix-blown-out-spark-plug-3-a.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
We just had the same issue with our 2006 Odyssey which was at 55,000 miles. The #5 spark plug came loose and melted and caused extensive engine damage. We had it repaired at the service shop at the dealer where we bought it new (Buerkle Honda in Maplewood, MN). I had asked about getting goodwill coverage, and at first it seemed that that was a possibility since it was a rare but known problem, but in the end we were told that Honda would not cover any of the damage and we were stuck with a $7000 repair bill. I am still planning to appeal to Honda directly, but I am not hopeful if the dealer that sold us the car won't help us out. I will also re-post as that develops.
Buerkle Honda in Maplewood, which is about 5 miles from my house, has the best service department in MSP area. This dealer is very competent and has treated me well. After performing a recall work on my 05LX brake, the brake felt mushy and they took my complaint seriously and drove me home in a different car that night so they can work on the car next day. Important message is that they did not treat me like an idiot and they took my perception as the truth. I got a call the following day and they informed me they made a mistake. They offered me to pick me up from my house but I ran there to pick it up. The brake felt firm and good as previous work. I had a number of issues regarding warp rotors on 05LX and they really took care of me even though I did not buy the LX from them. Braking hard at 80-85mph does not help the rotors. They have an excellent relationship with the Honda so I really doubt they stick you with a $7000 bill. I would like to see the bill from Tycho. There are bad dealers but Buerkle Honda in Maplewood is not one of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts