Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit 70k on my '05 and was looking ahead at my 75k maint interval. was thinking about spark plugs again and wondering at what interval were most changing them? of course I know the maint interval is like 90k or 105k something like that. I pulled one at 60k and it looked OK (gap and visual color). no problems or hesitations that I know of.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Got mined swiped out at 103k ish miles. Didn't really notice any change in performance or mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
100200 I changed mine.

I had two coil packs go out in the space of 3 months so I decided to change them all and the plugs.

I noticed a reduction in idle RPM. The number 3 plug we really fouled a lot. It was much worse than the others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I asked the same thing and found it to be required at 105k. I was in the dealership the other day and they said plugs 7year or 105k. I have an 09 with 60k miles. I will look to knock it out at year 7 and should have about 75k on it at that time. Although it may not be 100% necessary at that mileage, I don't want them to get so fouled up that they are hard to get out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My van had a slight reduction in power and a hesitation, so I changed my plugs on my 06 Odyssey and put in Bosch Iridiums. One of the plugs was bridged, causing my problem. I probably could have reinstalled them, but decided against it. Van ran great afterward and still does....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just replaced a set on my '04 Prius, when one began fouling. They had in excess of 70K on them but I don't know how much. The new plugs fixed the problem but, and this is the reason I'm telling it, they also cleared up an on-going pre-detonation problem I had experienced from when I bought the car two years ago. This was a really inexpensive bit of maintenance so I'd do it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
935 Posts
100200 I changed mine.

I had two coil packs go out in the space of 3 months so I decided to change them all and the plugs.

I noticed a reduction in idle RPM. The number 3 plug we really fouled a lot. It was much worse than the others.
Reduction in idle rpm, by how much?

My van had a slight reduction in power and a hesitation, so I changed my plugs on my 06 Odyssey and put in Bosch Iridiums. One of the plugs was bridged, causing my problem. I probably could have reinstalled them, but decided against it. Van ran great afterward and still does....
I've never used Bosch plugs in ANY Honda. They tended to cause odd idle issues and performance issues when driving such as misfiring or general loss of performance. Yours is running great though?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I changed mine out on my '11 at 60k kms (37k miles roughly) and I'm glad I did. The plugs in the back row (VCM enabled cylinders) were noticeably oil covered and the one plug closest to the driver was actually really bad - and its tip was much smaller than the others.

I replaced them with Denso Iridiums and they work great.

I have heard Bosch don't work well but in my Gen2 van I used Bosch platinums twice with zero issues.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've replaced several sets of spark plugs on mine and have come to the conclusion that 150,000 miles is just right on the spark plugs. I've replaced at 125,000 miles and the plugs looked good and I've replaced them at 175,000 miles and they looked horrible. So I just replace them at 150,000 miles just like the timing belt. My last mileage reading was 611,064 so as long as this this ody gets its regular maintenance (just not what the dealership tells me) it keeps on trucking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just did a TB job with my nephew (mechanic) so since I had access to every tool imaginable, I used the opportunity to swap them. Was already at about 103k miles, so regardless of how everything was running it was the right time. MPG is still tbd, but since we did the TB, water pump, and plugs, I can tell you the engine definitely feels much more powerful at 75-100% throttle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've replaced several sets of spark plugs on mine and have come to the conclusion that 150,000 miles is just right on the spark plugs. I've replaced at 125,000 miles and the plugs looked good and I've replaced them at 175,000 miles and they looked horrible. So I just replace them at 150,000 miles just like the timing belt. My last mileage reading was 611,064 so as long as this this ody gets its regular maintenance (just not what the dealership tells me) it keeps on trucking.

611,064 on your 2008 Odyssey? What all have you done to it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that info--do you know at what interval the maintenance minder comes up to change spark plugs and timing belt? Have you ever checked that --I am at 105,000 (2006 Odyssey purchased new) miles and no sign of maintenance minder having that come up yet (and even checked into next reminder and it is not there) so wondering if I missed it or everyone is doing the timing belt/spark plugs sooner than Honda is recommending.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey Touring
535 Posts
Thanks for that info--do you know at what interval the maintenance minder comes up to change spark plugs and timing belt? Have you ever checked that --I am at 105,000 (2006 Odyssey purchased new) miles and no sign of maintenance minder having that come up yet (and even checked into next reminder and it is not there) so wondering if I missed it or everyone is doing the timing belt/spark plugs sooner than Honda is recommending.
Like I mentioned in the thread you started, the "4" code which includes replacing the timing belt and spark plugs happened around 102K miles with other service codes. My van was 9 years old at the time. At that time I changed the spark plugs myself and had the Honda dealer change the timing belt, water pump, etc.

You said in your other thread that the service tech told you the code had come up but he had reset it before you could see it for yourself. Like I said before I don't think he lied based on my experience. As I also said, at this point I'd be worried about the age of the belt, water pump, etc. ,which are now around 14 years old, much more than the mileage.

It seems like you are trying to justify not performing the timing belt change now. It's your vehicle so you can decide to take your chances, but if you aren't lucky and something happens with the timing belt path the engine will be trashed as pistons and valves collide. Besides the financial implications it could happen at an inopportune time and place.

If I were like @3puttjay and putting over 55K miles a year on my Ody I'd push it too as even at 150K miles you would be changing plugs and timing belts etc. about every 3 years. This is a very unusual case and nowhere near the norm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks BertS--I actually have an appointment tomorrow morning to do the timing belt--I was just wondering if I should do the spark plugs also--and how imp that is right now. And I was curious to know how that maintenance minder would work in the instance with many miles in a short time like @puttjay had.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I suggest you forget about the maintenance minder. It is not accurate or reliable. Base your maintenance decisions on actual mileage and time. And yes you should replace your spark plugs now too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Our first set of spark plugs were replaced at 105K with NGK 3657 IZFR5K11 Laser Iridium. We tried Bosch Platinum+4 and had a bit of intermittent P03XX codes before settling for the NGK spark plugs. Also, the engine had no VCM Tuner back then so the backside set has a bit of oil and the engine burned a bit of oil as well. Our second set which was replaced today is also NGK 3657 IZFR5K11 Laser Iridium, but only 90K later due to intermittent RPM drops during idle. No ODBII code with this RPM issue. All of the old spark plugs looked extremely clean from tip/electrode to the terminal nut at the bottom of the spark plug except for some small light brown or tan heat marks on the ceramic insulator. We thought we can get much more mileage than 90K, but the new set of spark plugs seem to fix the RPM issue. Only 60 miles test run so far. With a VCM Tuner in place, we do not see any more oil or dark color marks on the tip/electrodes of any of the spark plugs or oil in the spark plug tubes. The engine does not burn any oil.

I think the spark plugs quality impact when to replace the spark plugs. As an example, the NGK 94553 ZFR5AIX-11 Iridium IX Plug has a smaller tip for performance, a few other minor differences and a longevity rating of 50K miles. The NGK 3657 IZFR5K11 Laser Iridium has a longevity rating of 100K miles. Denso seems to have a similar longevity rating for their line of spark plugs as well.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
For readers that don't frequent this forum be aware of counterfeit NGK spark plugs sold on Amazon by their third party sellers.

Reactions: 010Ody
1 - 20 of 24 Posts