Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I upgraded the front speakers in our 02EX-L with Clarion SRX-1683's. I wasn't able to audition the Pioneer 1695's at a local dealer (Canadian eh?)so opted for a decent set that factory fit with minimal modification- no cutting of rain shield, use original holes.

What a HUGE difference. Much cleaner, improved base and rich mid-range. Bonus is that you can take the built-in tweeter and move them to the stock tweeter location. Maybe next weekend's mod :). Paid $118 CAD (about $67 USD) for the pair from a local dealer.

For the geeks in the crowd:
Dual Concentric Design
Polylaminate Woofer Cone
3/4" Silk Soft Dome Tweeter
Removable Tweeter for Replacement or
Remote Mounting
2-Way Tweeter Mounting (Flush or
Surface)
Strontium Magnet
6dB/oct. Hi-pass Crossover
Rubber Surround
130-Watt Maximum Music Power

·
Registered
239 Posts
You mean no cutting of the rainshield and the holes on the speaker match the holes on the panel perfectly ? Did you have to buy any speaker wire adapter to connect the factory wire and the Clarion's wire ? So, basically it is just a simple job of removing the stock speaker and installing the new Clarion without any cutting, drilling, correct?
I love it. I think I am going to Best Buy now and audition it.
By the way, did you buy it on line or in the store?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
You mean no cutting of the rainshield and the holes on the speaker match the holes on the panel perfectly ? Did you have to buy any speaker wire adapter to connect the factory wire and the Clarion's wire ? So, basically it is just a simple job of removing the stock speaker and installing the new Clarion without any cutting, drilling, correct?
I love it. I think I am going to Best Buy now and audition it.
By the way, did you buy it on line or in the store?
Thanks.
</font>
No drilling, no cutting. The holes on the speaker frame match the factory screw holes on the '02. You just have to make sure you rotate the speaker so that the holes line up.

The only 'mod' I had to do was to cut off the plastic locating pins.

The speakers come with wire and clips that don't fit the '02 Ody connector. I soldered them (I'm sure you could buy an adapter).
Bought them from a small local store face to face. After I bought them, I looked them up on the Clarion web site and was surprised to see the list @ $189 USD. Goes to show how close list price is to reality.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Indeed, I think you've got the best deal because I can't find any online store selling at your price. I wonder if the store you bought from accept mail order.
Do you mind to check it out ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
www.etronics.com has the Clarions in stock for $89.95. But, they still seem expensive compared to the similar-spec'd Pioneer 1655's at $40. pr. This may be because of the detachable tweeter feature. The Pioneer 1665 3ways are $50 pr. there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Victoriavan:
If you don't mind, can you give me the phone number where you bought your speaker. Maybe he will ship for less here in Ontario. The cheapest I can find is Cdn$159.00 plus PST?GST. And the shops here don't usually stock it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
Victoriavan:
If you don't mind, can you give me the phone number where you bought your speaker. Maybe he will ship for less here in Ontario. The cheapest I can find is Cdn$159.00 plus PST?GST. And the shops here don't usually stock it.
Thanks.
</font>
I bought them from Ralph's Radio in Victoria BC. I talked to Andrew, (250) 386-7100.
They will ship, I checked.

They had at least one more pair in stock as I am going to do the rears tomorrow =).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts