Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my Infinity Kappa 6.5" components with Pioneer 1695's. A step back? Don't bet on it.

The bass from the 1695's is just what the stock stereo needed. The Infinitys were super clean, but were anemic when it came to bass. I bought the Metra adapters this time around and used the factory wiring. The panel was already trimmed to accept the Infinity's so installation time was a tad over 30 minutes which included pulling out all of the components.

Crutchfield wanted $139 for the 1695's. I bought mine from Autotoys.com for $87.50 with free shipping when you use PayPal. The wiring harness is $4.99 from Best Buy.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jim and Chuck, any harshness associated with the horn tweeter? I'm still trying to decide whether to order the 65's or the 95's.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlh2:
Jim and Chuck, any harshness associated with the horn tweeter? I'm still trying to decide whether to order the 65's or the 95's.</font>
Not that I've noticed, in fact, I think the highs are better, with better definition, but no harshness. One of the reasons for better performance, in my van at least, is that my Infinity 652i speakers were rated at 93dB efficiency,and the Pioneers are rated at 90dB. Installing the Pioneers effectively gave my tweeters a 3dB boost relative to the main speakers, broadening the soundfield considerably. The highs are better than I remember the 652i setup being, but there's a little bit of apple and orange comparison going on here.

At any rate, yes, they sound very good for just the stock head unit.

PS: I was sitting in the car, listening to some Yello with some nice bass at a moderate volume, and noticed that the bass hits were making my outside mirror vibrate. You can also feel it in your chest, something the Infinitys couldn't accomplish.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Jim and Chuck, any harshness associated with the horn tweeter? I'm still trying to decide whether to order the 65's or the 95's.</font>
I can't say for the 95's but I've got the 65's and they do very well with the highs. I can hear cymbals and such that were totally inaudible with the stock speakers. Since I've installed the Kelton subwoofer, the only problem I have from time to time, and it depends on the music being played, is getting a balance between base and treble that keeps the mid range from being washed out. My understanding is that the 95's are a two way speaker. The 65's are tri way speakers. I'd be very interested in hearing a set of 95's next to my van with the 65's to see what kind of difference there is.

Jim, you mentioned some time ago about maybe arranging a Ody picknick or something of the sort so some of us could meet the group. Is anything along that line coming up? It would be a good opportunity to compare our different approaches.

Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well Chuck, you talked me into it. Went ahead and ordered the 95's from Autotoys today. They're going to have to be good to sound better than the old JBL 2-ways I've got in there now. I was really disappointed in the Infinity 651's I first installed and I returned them to Circuit City where I bought them. Disappointed because probably the best, most natural sounding speakers I have ever heard in an automobile were some earlier model 6 1/2" Infinitys I installed in the package tray of a 95 Civic Coupe we bought for our son.
Intrepid175, Yea, as an old audio/video hobbyist, I think it would be a ball to compare everyone's approach-same head units with different speakers, different head units with the same speakers, various subs, etc.

[This message has been edited by dlh2 (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well Chuck, you talked me into it. Went ahead and ordered the 95's from Autotoys today. They're going to have to be good to sound better than the old JBL 2-ways I've got in there now. I was really disappointed in the Infinity 651's I first installed and I returned them to Circuit City where I bought them. Disappointed because probably the best, most natural sounding speakers I have ever heard in an automobile were some earlier model 6 1/2" Infinitys I installed in the package tray of a 95 Civic Coupe we bought for our son.

[This message has been edited by dlh2 (edited 08-13-2001).]
</font>
I've always been an Infinity fan, too, and wouldn't have dreamed that any speaker made by Pioneer would outperform them. Surprise.
There's almost no comparison.

Oh, well, you can blame me if they don't live up to the hype....

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, I used to think Infinity was great too.

Only recently have I realized that they are in the same category as Bose. Sure, they sound a lot better than Bose, but they are overmarketted and _very_ overpriced.

I still think Infinity has an R&D budget (unlike Bose, which apparently spends it all on marketting), but I've taken them down a few notches on the respect scale.

Being that Infinity was pretty much the only Circuit City brand I trusted, I avoid most A/V stuff there now.

my 2 cents

------------------
2001 Mesa Beige EX

[This message has been edited by pummal (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Really? I haven't really heard or known much about the Infinity brand until you guys started upgrading your speakers. The two brands I knew I could always count on were Pioneers and Alpines.

Anyone got change for a nickel?

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Nestor,
My 2 cents, for what it's worth:

Infinity has been around and is probably one of the more reputable brands in my experience. I'd say people have tended to rate speakers in categories, based on cost and perceived sound quality... Something like this: (approximately)

high end: ADS, MB Quart, Dynaudio, Focal, etc..

"mid" range or consumer "high end": Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, Infinity, etc...

consumer "mass" market: Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, etc...

Of course there is some overlap, and it depends on if you are talking about a companies high end line or lower line too....

And my disclaimer is that this is my perception of how I think most people view the market, but many could disagree.

What I find the most interesting is that I (and I'd say alot of people) never really thought much of Pioneer speakers, esp for car audio. The reason is that they OEM so much (note all OEM Honda speakers are Pioneer...) that we figure the aftermarket stuff is not a whole lot better. Reading this forum, you can see Pioneer can perform much better than they are perceived by the overall market.

I agree alot with what pummal says in that Infinity has built a pretty good reputation, but their recent stuff is a bit disappointing.

So, my humble opinion... like always, this is a very subjective field, and what one person really likes, another may not....

FYI, I have Boston Acoustics RM6s in my Odyssey up front, as I took them out of my wife's Accord before I sold them. Pretty good speakers, a little harsh in the upper midrange for my tastes, but they work fine. Good mid-bass response. Silk dome tweeter tends to shine the best with acoustic/instrumental...

I've been dying to listen to a set of 1695s, but can't find them in any audio store around here. I'm very intrigued though... So much I was thinking of buying a set from Autotoys, trying them out and doing an A/B comparo with my Bostons and selling the pair I didn't want.... We'll see if I get the time to do that...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
Yeah, I would fall under that "consumer mass market" category. I pretty much know squat about "what makes a good sound system for a car".

Now DJ audio...that's a different story!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It used to be a rule of thumb that the manufacturers of hardware like Sony, Pioneer, Sansui, etc., couldn't make speakers that sounded decent and that Infinity had some very high end, excellent speakers. (They still may, but there are no salons in the SE Michigan area that carry them anymore to my knowledge.)

At any rate, Infinity isn't the name it used to be since Arnie Nudell isn't associated with them anymore, and Pioneer has obviously done their homework.

------------------
Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The highs seem fine with my 95's. I'm considering getting two sets for my SE-R.

TX Picnic: I think spring time would be good.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
TX Picnic: I think spring time would be good.
</font>
Pick a date and place, Jim! My work schedule is the deciding factor for me but I'd love to meet some of the names I've been conversing with in this forum.

Will keep an eye out......

Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got the Pioneer 1695's from Autotoys installed yesterday evening and they sound great! Two thumbs up! The bass is much better than the previous speakers I've tried. And nice highs with great dispersion. Before I hooked up the door speakers,I turned on the stereo just to listen to the OEM tweeters in the dash by themselves. Not much output but don't really need them anyway with these Pioneers. I removed the door panels and sprayed the door cavity with Stinger RoadKill acoustical damping spray to deaden the enclosure. I also went back into the liftgate where the 6 by 9's are and did the same. It really helps cut down on resonances and vibrations.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/358C86C5D029F61

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm such a novice with this that I really need help. I've been quoted about $140. installed for two MB Quart? speakers in the front. Is this a good thing? Will this help my poor anemic sound system? Should I plan to replace the back ones later also? Are there six speakers? Is this too many questions? Help me, as my Beethoven is sounding absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
I'm such a novice with this that I really need help. I've been quoted about $140. installed for two MB Quart? speakers in the front. Is this a good thing? Will this help my poor anemic sound system? Should I plan to replace the back ones later also? Are there six speakers? Is this too many questions? Help me, as my Beethoven is sounding absolutely terrible. </font>
Merpsmom,
It depends on what model MB Quarts they are.It will be an improvement from stock but probably not as good as the Pioneer 1695.
Definitely plan on replacing the rears. This has been mentioned in a previous thread.
Six speakers in an EX: 2-rear,2-front doors,2-tweeters on dash corners.
Too many questions ? I think not. They're never too many.

Hope this helps.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
568 Posts
I replaced my front ones with TS-A1655. They sound much better than Honda stock speakers. The question is "Shall I replace my rear ones with TS-A1086?" I can't really hear my rear speakers when I am driving. Can I?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bjk2001:
I replaced my front ones with TS-A1655. They sound much better than Honda stock speakers. The question is "Shall I replace my rear ones with TS-A1086?" I can't really hear my rear speakers when I am driving. Can I?

</font>
bjk2001,
I can barely hear mine either. Even with the fader control biased to the rears. I think the rears have been everyone's "little problem". Since the Ody has all this free space back there, It's really tough to rely just on those puny speakers.Check out dlh2's pics from his post above.He has some 6x9 speakers in the rear hatch.
I think it takes a bit of experimenting here and there with speaker locations for rear fill. I guess its hard to design a good sound system for a van not unless you're willing to sacrifice some space and inconveniences.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's another very satisfied installer of the Pioneer 1665's. They sound soooo much better, and seem to mellow out the low bass of the KB sub. I purchased them from www.discountave.net. $60 + tax, free UPS shipping.

I tried to quiet down some of the road noise by spraying 1st a coat of underbody rubberized spray a 2nd coat of plasti-cote spray (from Home Depot) on the outer door skin and by placing a layer of fiberglass insulation between the door panel and the water barrier. Hard to tell if it really did any good, but the doors feel much more solid now. What really helped was placing some felt on the frame around the pop-up door lock lever. Both sides really buzzed on bumpy roads, but now they are quiet.

Thanks to all for advice and tips.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts