Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea on how the 2002 changes (engine, brakes) affect performance? Specifically, any idea on specs on:

0-60 MPH?
Stopping distance (60-0)?

I realize they will be improved, just wondering by how much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want shorter stopping distances on any Odyssey, just switch to high performance tires. That should reduce stopping distances from 80 mph by a good 20 feet. I don't expect the rear discs in the '02 to reduce stopping distances as much as the wider tires will. Nevertheless, stickier rubber will help.

I expect acceleration to 60mph to be similar to the MDX, the added friction and drivetrain mass in the MDX offset by the heavier Odyssey.

[This message has been edited by s2ktaxi (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
180 Posts
Actually, Odyssey isn't heavier; MDX is, although they're very close:
2002 Odyssey: LX 4299 lbs, EX 4354 lbs
2001 MDX: 4328 lbs, w/touring pkg 4387 lbs
and I suppose MDX may gain a little weight in 2002 if it's beefed up anywhere or gets more equipment. All else equal (okay, it never is...) I think Odyssey wins the race.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The Ody doesn't win if the race is held off-road, but it definitely wins when both vehicles are loaded with two live llamas.

I agree about the shorter stopping distances. While rear disks are great to have for several reasons, they are not going to shave too much stopping distance off when you are braking at 100%. In that situation, on the edge of traction, damn near all of your stopping performance is coming from the front end.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think darelldd is correct, particularly since the smaller dimensions of the MDX means that one of the llamas in the MDX will be driving. OTOH, the MDX is probably roomier than the Volvo!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the reason for the disc brake addition was to shorten stopping distance.

Anyway, excuse my ignorance but what are "high performance tires"? Do they have problems in the snow?

·
Registered
564 Posts
The advantage of the Volvo is that I could take one llama at a time, and with it's superior speed, could still maybe win the race with two trips.

It is entirely possible that I'd have to dissassemble the llamas to fit them in though, since there probably isn't enough headroom. And since the Volvo and I are parting company very soon, I'm actually willing to give it a shot.

Whoa! now...what was this thread about?

sorry,

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
180 Posts
High performance tire: One which compromises on treadwear or noise or whatever in order to maximize traction and heat resistance. A pure performance tire will be lousy on ice or snow, although there are some that are also all-season-rated (with compounds that stay sticky in cold,etc.) Typically more expensive than a standard tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts