Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
model matrix site from vtec/news

No, of course that is not an official site for Honda, but it is a very reliable source of info on the entire Honda product line. For example, last year, they published numerous drawings and pictures of the then upcoming 2002 CRV. Many of the pictures were inaccurate, but many were dead-on. In addition, much of the technical specs turned out to be fairly accurate as well. Honda is well-known in their ability to keep a new product under wraps until very close to its' intro date. This time however, since the Oddy is being manufactured in the US, I bet we will see some prototypes (of the '04) running around with camoflaugue as early as March '03. The new technical specs will start leaking out around next May. I don't forsee any huge, dramatic change in the Oddy for '04. Honda is still way too conservative for that (witness the evolution of the Accord). Even so, Honda does seem to want to try new directions- the Element for example. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a current cultural battle going on within Honda as to what direction to take with future vehicles. Should Honda be more daring, or should they stick to the tried & true? Other automotive companies have been at these crossroads before, but those other companies did not have as successful a product line as Honda does today, therfore I think Honda will choose tried & true for the most part. In a way, that will be a shame because I believe Honda has some of the most creative & original engineering anywhere, and if they were let loose, just think of the innovations we might see.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: model matrix site from vtec/news

shellymeister said:
...I don't forsee any huge, dramatic change in the Oddy for '04. Honda is still way too conservative for that (witness the evolution of the Accord). Even so, Honda does seem to want to try new directions- the Element for example. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a current cultural battle going on within Honda as to what direction to take with future vehicles. Should Honda be more daring, or should they stick to the tried & true? Other automotive companies have been at these crossroads before, but those other companies did not have as successful a product line as Honda does today, therfore I think Honda will choose tried & true for the most part. In a way, that will be a shame because I believe Honda has some of the most creative & original engineering anywhere, and if they were let loose, just think of the innovations we might see.:rolleyes:
You highlight a very important point - that the culture of a company is often a more important predictor of future success than just about anything else. FWIW, when investing, I look at culture as much or more than financials.

Regards,

M¿

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's some thoughts on what they might change on the 2004 Ody. Equip the Ody with 'run-flat' tires, get rid of the spare and then find enough space to have two separate recesses for the middle two seats to fold into the floor. The space between the two seat recesses could allow for the exhaust pipe, cables, etc. Then you'd never have to leave your seats behind. Sunroof, middle windows that can be raised and lowered, larger wheels, standard CD player, standard power doors on the LX, stability control, better gas mileage using a 'continuously variable' (is that the right terminology??) automatic transmission, side airbags for the second row of seats, an 8 track tape deck (JUST KIDDING!!;), a better automatic transmission cooling system so you don't have to pay a fortune in Honda accessory coolers before you can tow a trailer and a rubberized paint or coating for the hood to defeat some of the rocks and gravel that chip the paint. And no, I don't want an AWD version - good snow tires and TCS are enough for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Retractable side mirrors... very popular in Europe and would assist parking the Ody in the garage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Push button "magic seat" folding and power front seat on the passenger side. I second the sunroof, folding mirrors, and AWD as an option.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd vote for a sunroof, middle windows that can be opened and a 60-40 split rear seat. Most of the other suggestions I could do without. I do miss my sunroof though......

·
Registered
93 Posts
blackwolf said:
I'd vote for a sunroof, middle windows that can be opened and a 60-40 split rear seat. Most of the other suggestions I could do without. I do miss my sunroof though......
My thoughts exactly. If I like the van, I may put in a sunroof. But don't guess the other stuff is doable aftermarket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have a 2000 EX-navi and like the 02-03 update, but we're holding out for the major redesign, too. Things my wife and I want to see:
Memory seats and mirrors
Outside temp display
Sunroof option
rear seat DVD available with Nav system
softer (some?) door armrest padding

Things I want :D :
Better transmission shift interface, maybe up/downshift buttons/paddles on the steering wheel? I know--that's stretching it!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Whatever the 04 oddy looks like it won't be too radical. How many ways can you change the look of a box?

Functional things I'd like to see on the 04 Ody

- integrated child seats (come on Honda - look at who is buying this vehicle. Young families for the most part)
- thicker sheet metal around the door handles and rear deck over the license plate that resist indentation from closing
- better paint (the current stuff is really kinda thin)
- hidden side rear door hinges (aka Chrysler and Ford hidden under bottom of rear windows)
- hidden tailgate handle (aka Ford)
- radio antenia built into rear window (aka Honda Civic)
- redesign of side doors with a drip rail so they don't collect moisture and stick shut in cold weather
- windshield defrost element (like rear defrost) to keep wipers from freezing (aka Chrysler)
- better defrost for windshield (with six people it just can't keep up even on full fan - too much humidity)
- roof rack that folds into the roof when not in use
- tie down straps on the roof rails
- load leveling rear suspension
- back up sensor (GM and Ford) but lets try to hide the sensors a bit better
- power rear tailgate (may as well if the side doors are power)
- pop out power windows on the middle doors (don't want roll down (MPV) just afraid of all the things kids would toss out)
- gas filler cap on the very rear of drivers side or between the drivers door and the rear door (why block the left rear door exit at the gas station when kids are trying to get in and out to use the facilities)
- dual screen DVD or screens in headrests (kids are short and screen is difficult for them to see from the back row over the tall captains chairs)
- ability to have an 8 passanger (removable seat that would fit between the captain chairs in middle row)
- walls that pop up around each rear seat and allow parents to prevent one kid from touching or talking to another (OK just a dream)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good ideas........

I like your ideas, but I disagree about making the Minivan shape more interesting. Witness the upcoming Volkswagen Microbus, its very different and interesting. Also, the upcoming Nissan Quest minivan will probably be a major styling departure from the typical 2-Box Minivan design. I saw a potential prototype of it at the Detroit Auto Show last January & it sure was different!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My guess is that the headlights will be redesigned (mimicking the Element/new Accord/CRV), different wheel design (ooohhh! how exciting), and new colors. Sunroof would be an easy addition, even better if you could have two (front/back)! I really like the idea of an optional third/2nd row seat to bring passengers up to eight (or two rows to sleep on!). I would love AWD as an option, not that we need it in AZ but Honda already have all the hardware they need to build it, gimme' a removable third row seat instead of the 'magic well'
I know one thing that will stay the same....a new Ody will mean huge addendums on MSRP:(

PS....imhip2, great list you made!:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
imhip2 said:

- better defrost for windshield (with six people it just can't keep up even on full fan - too much humidity)
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but defrost *with A/C on* always clears the windows in my Ody, even fully loaded with passengers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Probably because you have a 95. Smaller area to clear (I think)

In my 2000 (A/C with defrost only and with fan on full (no recirculate) with rear air as well) it will not clear the entire windshield. There are clearly areas at the top of the windshield (2 - 3") that just don't clear and for a tall driver it is annoying and potentially dangerous.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts