Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is on our '04 Ody w/76k (no history of trans issues),

I've found other grinding sound-related postings, but an admittedly-risky diagnostic test I tried has me in doubt.

The grinding sound is definitey speed-dependent, with longer pulses (that are most obvious) at slow speeds.

I jacked up each of the 4 corners, spun each tire and did not hear the noise, leading me to think the rotors are not the issue.

I then lifted the front on jack stands with both wheels off the ground. With the wheels already turning pretty fast at idle (surprising, I thought) I slowly accelerated - still no grinding noise.

My thought is taking the weight off the front tires points to something, but I've hit the limit of my diagnostic skills.

Any ideas of test suggestions?

Thanks
Im a mechanic more then likley its a Cv joint its comon on modles 02 to 05 grinding or clicking or any kind of sounds from the front end like the other people on here trying to say very first off is usually a brake problem or a bearing problem but if you've eliminated that it could be the brakes tie rod ends ball joints or bearings it's probably going to be your CV joints and if it's only making the noise why you doing a steady 25 to 30 miles an hour that's definitely what it is it's common in odysseys especially from 180000 miles and up but every once in awhile Could Happen earlier you also might want to check your axles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jack the front up again and this time pull the wheels and get in and look at the rotors and brake linings. Also look for loose rust wedged in between shields etc. These type of problems require a close inspection and check of all components not standing back and trying to guess what is wrong. I would expect wheel bearings to give off a wine more than a grinding sound. If they are giving a grinding sound you should be able to feel it by slowly turning it by hand.
If it's bearings or ball joint you can tell by pulling and pushing on the wheel even when it's not jacked up but if it's clicking while you're driving at a steady speed it's going to be CV joints or axles but if you're hearing like a metal on metal grinding it's more than likely a brake issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a thought. My 90 4 runner with some AT tires would start to growl after 8K miles or so. Id rotate them front to rear, rear to front keeping left side on left, right side on right. The noise would go away untill time to rotate again (8K miles). Seems the tread would wear in such a way as to cause the growl.

Just a thought.
Just a thought in the future you shouldn't rotate your tires like that when you rotate your tires you put the front left tire on the rear right the front right tire on the rear left the rear left on the front right the rewrite turn on the front left you'll have to Jack the whole car up put on jack stands you don't want to rotate tires on a rear wheel or especially a four-wheel drive vehicle like you did will wear the tires out really quick the only time you rotate tires like you said keeping them on the same side just rotating them is for front wheel drives just to let you know next time try that the last way longer

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Just a thought in the future you shouldn't rotate your tires like that when you rotate your tires you put the front left tire on the rear right the front right tire on the rear left the rear left on the front right the rewrite turn on the front left you'll have to Jack the whole car up put on jack stands you don't want to rotate tires on a rear wheel or especially a four-wheel drive vehicle like you did will wear the tires out really quick the only time you rotate tires like you said keeping them on the same side just rotating them is for front wheel drives just to let you know next time try that the last way longer
Perhaps willemon has directional tires. :)
If not, then the criss -cross you suggested works best.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
569 Posts
Kind of hard to tell now, Bigl72larsky makes an entrance by posting to 8 and 10 year old threads! o_O Nice to get new members with fresh suggestions, but not so much for old dead threads! ;)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts