Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just picked up my new 2002 GG EX. While driving it home I noticed that everyone else on the road was going the speed limit. I asked my wife, who was following, what my current speed was. She said that it was about 7 mph more that the speedo in the ody.

Has anyone else had their speedo tested? Tickets? Gone through one of those speed indicator signs?

Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckamas:
Hi all

I just picked up my new 2002 GG EX. While driving it home I noticed that everyone else on the road was going the speed limit. I asked my wife, who was following, what my current speed was. She said that it was about 7 mph more that the speedo in the ody.
Chuck
</font>
I think you need to take it back and have that fixed--something's definitely wrong.

If you have access to a GPS unit, that's a *great* way to get a near-perfect speed measurement.

I'm a little disappointed to find mine is about 1 to 1 1/2 MPH fast at about 70 mph (that is, if its on 70, I'm actually doing about 69 or just under).

That's not a big deal to me, except for one very important thing: The Odometer. That means it is going to show more miles than I actually drove, and reduce the future resale value of the vehicle. It also somewhat affects your MPG measurements at each gas fillup.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
I'm a little disappointed to find mine is about 1 to 1 1/2 MPH fast at about 70 mph (that is, if its on 70, I'm actually doing about 69 or just under).

That's not a big deal to me, except for one very important thing: The Odometer. That means it is going to show more miles than I actually drove, and reduce the future resale value of the vehicle. It also somewhat affects your MPG measurements at each gas fillup.
</font>
When I used to commute long distances to work I would check the speedometer and odometer against a known distance on a flat stretch of road. The speedometer registered 1-2% high while the odometer was extremely accurate.

I just assumed that the factory set the speedo that way on purpose, to reduce their risk of having speedos that reported slower than actual. I'm just speculating about the reason for the discrepancy.

Tire air pressure affected the speedo and odo readings, too.

Even if the odo were off 1-2%, at 50,000 miles the difference would be 500-1,000 miles, which isn't going to affect resale value much.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance model 658 shoes

·
Registered
82 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
I think you need to take it back and have that fixed--something's definitely wrong.

If you have access to a GPS unit, that's a *great* way to get a near-perfect speed measurement.

</font>
I took my 2000 to the dealer because the speedo was reading 7% fast. They said too bad because it fall within the 10% industry standard. I call Honda Customer Service directly and they quoted SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) "J" papers. He stated the wrong one but I found it anyway. It appears that speedometer can be "pre-baised" +5 mph when they leave the factory. Good luck in getting it adjusted. My dealer wouldn't do it even if I paid them.

------------------
2000 CSS Odyssey EX-Navi w/Leather
Sony MDX-C800REC MiniDisc Receiver
Polk 602a (Front)
Polk 402a (Rear)
Alpine powered center(for Navi voice)
Bazooka EL8A-HP Powered Subwoofer

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also think my speedometer is off. I picked up my RRP EX Friday evening. While driving home (about 35 miles) my wife call me on the cell phone and told my to slow down. She was following behind me in the Accord. The Ody said 70 MPH but the Accord showed 76 MPH. I am going to get the GPS out tonight and check both of them. It will be interesting to see how they both compare.

-John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts