Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to tow my 2002 Odyssey behind a motor home. How can I disconnect my speedometer so mileage will not record while I am under tow.

Is there a speedometer disconnect kit that is available for this purpose. If so how do I purchase it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have you checked with Honda to see if it would register mileage while towing. Being as the vehicle is highly computerized, the mileage may not register with the key off. Have you also checked to see if the transmission is capable of 4 down towing? Many automatic (and manual)transmissions are not suited for this purpose. I would check with the factory-not the dealer-and get the reply in writing, particularly if it's a "yes" reply. My Ody is not here at the moment, but is the steering unlocked in the accessory position?
Of course, if you're towing with a dolly, none of the above would apply. A good hitch supplier should also be able to answer your questions.

BTW-I ahve seen 2 Odys being towed 4 down behind MH's but I don't know what kind of setups they had ( or what problems).
Regards
Al

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KenD245:
I am planning to tow my 2002 Odyssey behind a motor home. How can I disconnect my speedometer so mileage will not record while I am under tow.

Is there a speedometer disconnect kit that is available for this purpose. If so how do I purchase it?
</font>
The manual recommends a max of 50 miles for 4 down towing. If the odometer is connected to the front wheels (I think most are ) then just getting the fronts off will do the trick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The speedometer, which in turn, drives the odometer, is NEVER connected to the wheels. It is connected to the GearBox. Thus, driving in Reverse does not reduce the odometer readings.

To prevent tampering, there is a seal on the cable, which when broken/missing, some manufacturers void the warranty [Unless it is done by the dealer, and recorded, of course :)] This was done because some mechanics used to attach a drill to the speedometer cable and Voila! you had a car belonging to the proverbial old lady who used it on sundays for going to the church.

Manufacturers use the odometer reading primarily for the warranty purposes [mostly of the drivetrain components.

Interestingly, LEXUS also stores the actual time the engine is in operation, so that it knows the actual usage of the engine [including idling].

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most modern cars do not have a speedometer cable. They utilize the abs wheel sensor. They do not register milage unless the computer is on. Try turning the engine off (without locking the streering wheel) and coasting, no speedometer or milage increment. I haven't checked my new oddy but my 96 ford truck works this way!

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 96 F-250 speedo works off a sensor on the rear axle housing "pumpkin" that counts the teeth in the ring gear to calculate the speed. It does not have rear ABS.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
596 Posts
This was done because some mechanics used to attach a drill to the speedometer cable and Voila! you had a car belonging to the proverbial old lady who used it on sundays for going to the church.

That would have to have been a mighty fast drill and run for a LONG time to accomplish any meaningful change in mileage, especially with a million mile odometer, which one would have to run all the way to seven figures to get a low reading......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
22 Posts
albaby, your 96 F250 HAS rear ABS! It is the rear ABS sensor in the differential that the computer uses for the speedometer. In the early 90's the government mandated that all pickups have rear ABS. It should be covered in your owners manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No mileage will be recorded when you tow your ody wheels down behind your Motor Home. I have towed mine a few thousand miles. You must follow a strict procedure to prepare for towing or suffer tranny damage. It is simple. With the engine running, shift the transmission all the way down to the bottom stop then return to the nuetral position. turn off the engine and tow. Honda advises you repeat this process every 400 miles of towing. The ignition also must be in the "off" and unlocked position during towing. This information is not in the owners manual but is available from Honda Americ by request.....Good towing!

·
Registered
215 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by karl:
albaby, your 96 F250 HAS rear ABS! It is the rear ABS sensor in the differential that the computer uses for the speedometer. In the early 90's the government mandated that all pickups have rear ABS. It should be covered in your owners manual. </font>
Karl-you are so right. It is front ABS that is lacking. It's been a long time since I've had to hit them that hard-even on snow or ice.The front ones can-and will-lock up.

Regards
Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts