Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, for those of you who have removed and reinstalled the spindle nut, what do you torque it to? My wrench doesn't go to 181lb so I'm wondering if anyone has tried getting away with a lower value?

looking at options on what to do about this before starting in on removing/replacing the knuckles.

Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
221 Posts
HD bearings typically have an over torque prevention measure built in. Just tighten it as tight as you can.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just to add to this, I finally removed these and installed new ones. I had my wife stand on the brakes while I tightened them down first with a torque wrench at 150lb-ft and then I came back with a torque multiplier. I think I got them to somewhere around 200lb-ft; not quite sure because the multiplier had a correction factor on it's nominal rating and it was pretty cold out when I did it (possibly more internal friction).

So far they seem fine but I'll post back if it turns out I wipe out the bearings in a short time or something.

Greg

·
Registered
652 Posts
You could re-install your old ones and tighten them to same stake point.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
dpkelly said:
You could re-install your old ones and tighten them to same stake point.
Interestingly, when I approximately torqued my rear wheel bearing axle nut to recommended settings, the stake point was exactly in the same location prior to removal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a couple of things on mine

- I chewed up one of them really badly in removing it.
- new nuts came with my new CV axles
- I bought into the statement about getting a new nut in the Helm's manual so I had already purchased new ones anyway. They look to me like they're fairly important one so I thought "why not?".

now that I see others have been re-using these, I plan to do so in the future.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts