Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know about you guys but I removed part of the lower splash guard and what a pain...it seemed like about 50% of the pin-clips I tried to remove broke the top head off - or more complete destruction. Owned a few other cars, and while you will have some collateral damage on these plastic type fasteners, nothing to the extent of these *$% things. Ones I'm talking about are the ones with the center that pops up like a turkey doneness gauge. I found a site that has them but not cheap, not 100% sure on the size without getting out some calipers. Ok now that I got that off my chest about how crappy those darn things are....;)

new clips

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I've found these in a lot of auto parts stores. I've busted some/all of them on most every vehicle I've tried removing them from. Relatively cheap. I have a couple boxes of them here and usually the exact size isn't too much of a deal breaker. I have two sizes here and they tend to work for most everything. I've never had a reason to pull these parts off the Ody so no experience there.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The issue really wasn't so much figuring out how to reinstall or repair, but the gosh darn things were surprisingly difficult to remove and fragile, especially since I've worked on much older vehicles than my '06 and not had issues. I guess I'll have to get a collection of them if more of these things are going to self-destruct when I go to disassemble. :mad:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I agree, at least in my 1998 BMW, the screws are easy to remove and install for the
splash guard.

This Honda design is a bit dumb I think.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well not to beat a dead horse anymore but lots of companies use those sorts of clips, but my gosh the ones on my '06 (and it looked like OEM) fell apart when tried to get the center button to pop up. Have to search for some reasonable replacements. Thanks for the link guys.

But overall we like the van, and after I replace the rear shocks and do brakes, power steering and install my 18" MDX wheels maybe I'll like it even more! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tips for Removing Plastic Body Clips.

Used a tool like the one in picture. Still broke some. Useful if head was hard to reach. Screwdriver was easier if you could reach the head. Spray lube sounds like a good idea. Had to remove the front bumper cover and splash shield for a transmission cooler. Some of the plastic clips were not interchangeable with each other. Seems to need 3 different sizes.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Update,

All of Honda plastic fasteners are now on sales on ebay.
The ebay prices are cheaper than at your local Fastenal stores.
Just go to ebay and search appropriate PN.
It is anywhere between $5 and $15 for a package of 15 fasteners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts