Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do dealers usually charge for splashguard with installation?
Are they worth it?
Should I get both front and rear or just rear ones?
Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
For Canadian $, it's $46 for rear(not installed).
You don't have to drill anything, so do it yourself.

You already have front one.

[This message has been edited by porschetr (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't know what dealers charge for the installation, but I'm pretty sure it's too much

There are quite a few sites on the web that sell them for about $60/set (4), which seems reasonable considering their quality.

Installation is really quite easy IF you have a really (really, really) short Phillips screwdriver for the rears. Since my son has been working out of my toolbox, I couldn't find my stubby Phillips, but it probably would have been too long anyway. I went out and bought a new screwdriver to complete the job. Total length, including handle, is probably about 2". Just about any length will work for the fronts since you can turn the wheels to gain clearance.

An alternative to the short screwdriver would be to replace the Phillips head screws, especially for the rear, with hex head sheet metal screws. I imagine the Honda supplied ones are metric, but there should be a standard size that would work. Performing this swap will allow you to use a 1/4" drive ratchet handle & socket to install the screws. I wish I had thought of this before I started

Happy Installing,
Mel

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
An alternative to the short screwdriver would be to replace the Phillips head screws, especially for the rear, with hex head sheet metal screws. I imagine the Honda supplied ones are metric, but there should be a standard size that would work. Performing this swap will allow you to use a 1/4" drive ratchet handle & socket to install the screws. I wish I had thought of this before I started
</font>
Good tip, Mel! I used a hydraulic floor jack to jack up the rear as I installed each side, which gave me enough clearance to use a standard Phillips. Another tip is to use a nail or something to punch a small hole in each depression on the rear - gives you something to stab the point of the screw into.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
44 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by porschetr:
For Canadian $, it's $46 for rear(not installed).
You don't have to drill anything, so do it yourself.

You already have front one.

b]</font>

Was I supposed to get front splash guards or is that only in Canada?

[This message has been edited by LovenLifeInMyOdy (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tip: Use the little ratchet wrench & then adapt it to the screw driver tip (the type you use on your power drill/driver tool) to one of the socket and then you will have your shorter than needed screw driver. I had a very short screw driver (the stubby kind), but not short enough. The ratchet wrench (mine is Craftman) worked like a charm.

------------------
'01 Starlight Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just installed the mud guards myself. I found that it was easiest if I just bit the bullet and removed the rear tires. The front are simple, just turn the wheel, less than 5 minutes. With the rear wheel off, it's also quite easy. And I didn't mind the workout. LOL.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just installed front splash guard, very easy.
Can't find my short screw driver for rear sets. Try to use 3/8" driver ratchet set but was too full (after a nice dinner) to get down there. Leave it for tomorrow.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard
Wheel Lock
Cargo Tray
Weathertech Mats

[This message has been edited by bjk2001 (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
The install is very easy. I used a srew bit from my power drill and turned it with a small wrench.</font>

Woohoo! I installed the rear splash guard. It's a little awkward to install the one inside the wheel well, but still pretty easy for a non-handy guy like me.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard
Wheel Lock
Cargo Tray
Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
9 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
The install is very easy. I used a srew bit from my power drill and turned it with a small wrench.</font>
I found that the small screwdriver included with many ceiling fans (mine are Casablanca fans and the screwdriver is very stubby and black) woked pretty well if you don't have a rachet or driver set.

David

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
I just installed the mud guards myself. I found that it was easiest if I just bit the bullet and removed the rear tires. The front are simple, just turn the wheel, less than 5 minutes. With the rear wheel off, it's also quite easy. And I didn't mind the workout. LOL.
</font>
I guess that's why you're "big" rob. OK, I just had to.....

I agree totally. Taking off the rear wheels was really quick. I used my cordless drill to drive the screws in too, made the job REALLY easy, and fast.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
251 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LovenLifeInMyOdy:
Was I supposed to get front splash guards or is that only in Canada?

[This message has been edited by LovenLifeInMyOdy (edited 07-12-2001).]
</font>
Huh? You guys down in the States don't get the front splash guard from the factory?

Not only are our Odys about $3000 American cheaper but get more standard equipment too, whoooohoooo. Now where is that Navi and the DVD....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yup - we get front splash guards AND heated outside mirrors AND Daytime running lights.

Question for US owners - the defrost button for the mirrors is integrated immediately left of the mirror position switch, and about 1/8th the size of it - do you just have a cover plate there??

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:

Happy Installing,
Mel
</font>
Seem to be the way to go. I tried to install the in inside screw for 15 mins without any luck. Used the Odyssey to jack up the van a little (left the wheel touching the ground). This gave the clearance to do my job. Also gave me an opportunity to figure out how use the jack.

You could go one step further and remove the wheel. Makes the mudguard job a lot easier. Will take longer overall anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually..
Canadian Ody's have:
Front Splash Guards
DRL's
Weatherstripping on front hood lip
Heated Outside Mirrors
Low Washer fluid light
FWIW
John

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXL:
Weatherstripping on front hood lip
</font>
Got a pic of that?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
171 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
Got a pic of that?
</font>
2002 US models also have that. It's just a rubber seal attached to the hood and seals the gap between the hood and grill when closed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll take a pic tomorrow Jim, but you'll have to excuse our dirty Ody though...

And I also have a pic of the heated mirror switch on my picture site if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will splash guards from a 2000 Ody fit a 2002? The reason I ask is I own a 2000 and am waiting to trade in for the 2002. If they fit I will just remove the ones I have now and install. Is there any difference in shape between those two years?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts