Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Boss
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the splash guards? We're thinking about getting them if they don't look too bad on the van.

·
Registered
96 Posts
OdyMom,
I have the splash guards and, in my opinion, they are very unobtrusive. They are nice since they prevent at least a portion of the debris your tires will kick up. If you are going to get them I would go to http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyext.html where they are $59. I will try to take a picture in the daylight and post it to give you an idea of what they look like.

Chris

------------------
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue
Fog Lights
Air Deflector
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the splash guards and the fenderwell trim and I like the looks. We had snow last night and they both work well.

Eric

------------------
2001 TW EX - Trans Cooler, Bug Shield, Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Wheel Well Liners

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

DESCRIPTION: Splash guards. Black finish. Good construction.

TOOLS NEEDED: stubby screwdriver

INSTALLATION:

Fronts require removal and reuse of 3 existing screws to secure the guards.

Rears were a little harder to do. Rear guards require use of 3 self tapping screws, spring nuts, and a grommet. Due to the tight space between the install points and the tire, driving the screws was a bit awkward, especially for the one further in behind the tire.

INSTALL TIP: Try to drive a starter hole through the 2 install points where the spring nuts are. This way, when you position the guard, you can easily guide and drive the screws. For the screw behind the tire and going into the grommet, use a little bit of Liquid Wrench on the screw. This helped tremendously in getting the screw to turn much easier and faster. Learned this after having a tough time with the first one. =(

SOURCE: hondapartsforyou.com

FINAL COMMENTS: Appears to be too short to really prevent dirt or water from being kicked up into the body panels. Hopefully, Honda or an aftermarket outfit will come up with a better version.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 02-28-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
The installation instructions indicate that before installing the splash guards the areas to be covered should be cleaned and waxed with a high quality "paste wax". What is that ? Specifically what brand and where do you get that ?

Thanx!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Paste wax was specified as opposed to liquid wax. Paste wax is usually a harder wax than the liquid, therefore providing more protection.

Just about every wax manufacturer has a paste wax and usually comes in a round metal can.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
22 Posts
I placed an order for splash guard and cargo tray at hondapartsforyou.com. Splash guard will be my first do-it-yourself work for my Ody. Thanks a lot for sharing the info.
----
Byron
'01 SS EX, air deflector

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed the mud flaps in about 15 minutes. It was a very worthwile addition it reduced the dirt spalhing on the side by about 70-80 % I highly reccomend flaps to everyone. Also have installed a cassete deck and leather wrap on the steering wheel. The cassete took about 10 minutes. The steering wheel although an easy job took over one hour. It is very tedious and time consuming to lcae the cover tightly. The leather wrap has been my favorite addition so far. My next addition is to self install an in vehicle entertainment system. Will post pictures in about a week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is there anything that makes getting the Honda Splash guards a must as opposed to just buying no name splash guards?

I'm counting my pennies after getting the Odyssey and do need to purchase a good quality all weather car cover that's going to cost a majority of the pennies I have left
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
I installed the mud flaps in about 15 minutes. It was a very worthwile addition it reduced the dirt spalhing on the side by about 70-80 % I highly reccomend flaps to everyone. Also have installed a cassete deck and leather wrap on the steering wheel. The cassete took about 10 minutes. The steering wheel although an easy job took over one hour. It is very tedious and time consuming to lcae the cover tightly. The leather wrap has been my favorite addition so far. My next addition is to self install an in vehicle entertainment system. Will post pictures in about a week.</font>
Rollie66,
10 minutes to installthe cassette player for Ody EX. How great your skill is ! I'm gonna order the cassette player for my Ody but hesitate to install it by myself. In Hoda accessory picture, the player doesn't have FF, RW, and PLAY buttons. How can we control the player ? I'm just curious. I'll buy it anyway. I also placed order for splash guard and cargo tray. I'll do it myself for the splash guard. Thanks.
------------
Byron
'01 SS EX, air deflector

·
Registered
122 Posts
The cassete deck is controlled by the head unit. It is extreemly easy to install. If you buy from handa.com but the fog lite switch cove for three dollars. Then just drill a hole in the old one, put a screw in it and yank it out. no worrys about scatches then. There are no bolts holding the dash cover on. you just yank it out from the hole. There are four screws holding the stereo in. The cassete mounts to the head unit with two brakets that are already installed. For someone with little experience it should only take max 45 minutes and that is going super slow. PS get the leather wrap you will not be sorry!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got you. You gave me a confidence in do-it-myself work. By the way, I'm gonna order fog lights, too. In this case, I don't need the switch cever, do I ? Although Jim encourage me in fog light intall by myself, it looks much more complicated than the cassette player. I'll ask honda service to install the fog lights for me. Thank you very much.
---
Byron with '01 SS EX air deflector

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I haven't installed the lights myself yet, but there are a few people here that have. You have plenty of support here.
Take your time and read over everything before tearing everything apart.

Like I've said before ... genuine Honda accessories were designed so even the monkeys at the dealership could install them.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jim, what do you think of PIAA fog lights instead of Honda's ? Tealphant installed the PIAA fog lights for his Ody. I'd like to get his experience. Is there any way to invite him ?
---
Byron, 01 SS EX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Tealphant is a member here. I don't know how often he drops by though.

Chuck had PIAAs on his Ody and went with the 2001 fog lights. The last I heard he had the PIAAs for sale.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the splash guards on my oddy and like the way they looked. It is a nice cheap customized look to a nice van. Get them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can anyone tell me the size of the Honda splash Guards for the EX? (Length & width approximately)
Thanks

[This message has been edited by LovenLifeInMyOdy (edited 04-18-2001).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just got the splash guards. Boy am I disappointed in its SIZE. For both front and rear, the guards only extend a few inches from the body of the ody.

sideward: extends only 1.5 inch at the max
downward: barely extend 2 inch at the max

IMHO the guards are too small to protect the ody from most of the dirt....I think it is there just for costmetic purpose - nothing much.

I hope this will answer LovenLifeInMyOdy
's question.

Quality of material is good though, i dont know what it is called but I'm surprised that it is flexible!! Before buying, I thought that it is made of some HARD plastics.

Does anyone knows of a way to color the splash guards to match the body?

------------------
1999 Honda Odyssey
Granite Green

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abyez:
Does anyone knows of a way to color the splash guards to match the body?

[/B]</font>
abyez,
Several of us have looked into this and the material won't hold paint. This particular resin has a mold release agent molded in, paint won't stick for long. Check with any body shop and they will tell you the same.

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hip:
abyez,
Several of us have looked into this and the material won't hold paint. This particular resin has a mold release agent molded in, paint won't stick for long. Check with any body shop and they will tell you the same.

</font>

Hip,

Thanks for replying. I am even more disappointed to learn that the guards wont hold paint. ;( Seems like I had just wasted 60 bucks for a set of good-for-nothing piece of Half-baked costmetic.

Do you happen to know what kind of "resin" the guards is made of? PVC or ppp or acrylic or ....???

BTW, Hip. Are you the one who has the Beige Ody in Photo Gallery? I think the Gallery is named "Hy". Are you "hy" ??

If so, I have to praise you for the job you did to the rear roof spoiler. Having a matching color with the spoiler really makes the Ody look......pretty tidy-tight!!!

Did you paint it yourself or a paint shop pro did it? How much total cost?

If you are not "Hy", sorry for assumming the wrong person but thanks for replying.

------------------
1999 Honda Odyssey
Granite Green

1 - 20 of 31 Posts