Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have squeaking brakes? Since the cold weather started here in Canada, my brakes squeak once or twice after starting a drive, then revert to normal. I'm only 6,000 km in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ours squeal. No rhyme or reason. After a bit of driving and everything. Squeal squeal squeal. Dealership couldn't reproduce it, cleaned and greased everything anyways, and it still squeals.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Anyone have squeaking brakes? Since the cold weather started here in Canada, my brakes squeak once or twice after starting a drive, then revert to normal. I'm only 6,000 km in.
Don’t have an Odyssey, but I have an Acura which exhibited the same symptoms whenever I start to drive and brake the first time in the morning. Took it to dealer and they replaced the brake pads. Never had that issue again since last winter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
same here, I traded in my 2007 Acura RDX for the 2013 RDX and a month after having the car the brakes would squeal all the time when I feather the brakes. Reported the problem each time I took the car in for service and each time they would give me reasons from morning dew, break-in, weather, etc.. After almost 3 years of reporting the problem they replaced my front brakes and rotors because of a service bulletin, after that never had the problem again. Bottom line for new car it should not squeal and make sure you get it documented when you get it serviced.

·
Super Moderator
1,163 Posts
Honda is investigating certain 2018 Odysseys with a customer complaint of either a front brake noise or a rear brake noise.

·
Registered
320 Posts
same here, I traded in my 2007 Acura RDX for the 2013 RDX and a month after having the car the brakes would squeal all the time when I feather the brakes. Reported the problem each time I took the car in for service and each time they would give me reasons from morning dew, break-in, weather, etc.. After almost 3 years of reporting the problem they replaced my front brakes and rotors because of a service bulletin, after that never had the problem again. Bottom line for new car it should not squeal and make sure you get it documented when you get it serviced.
You are right. They replaced my pads and discs as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It does not matter, brakes should not squeak at all unless there is something wrong, no matter the weather. I would have the squeaking checked each time you get the car service just to have it documented and if it persist after a year or so then it should get escalated. Like I said in an earlier post, my 2013 RDX had squeaking brakes after a month of owning. Each time I took the RDX in for service I would tell the service department the brakes squeaks. After 3 years, I finally said "come on now, I've had 5 other cars before this and none had ever had squeaking brakes." At that point, Acura replaced my brakes and rotors for free, per service bulletin.

It wasn't a loud squeak but noticeable and it was off and on throughout the year no matter the weather or time of day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have Squeaking brakes since day #1. Just brought it in and they dont see anything wrong with it. They said they are going to clean all the pads. I will see if that resolves the problem. if not I will let honda know. Not much more i can do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suggest going back to the dealer. We mentioned slight squealing on our last maintenance visit (we have the Touring and bought one of the first ones out last year) and we were told that everything looked great and it was brake dust. Knowing better than that I gave it until our next service- which was today (car has 10K miles) and asked for a recheck beacause although we were not experiencing brake issues, the squealing is now non stop (sounds like an old car squealing at any touch of the brakes). They checked the brakes and said there were good but that Honda is aware of some customers experiencing brake squealing. The result? They will need to call Honda- who will tell them what items they need to replace and will then take our old parts for further investigation. At the end of the day, a new car shouldn’t have brake issues so I would recommend going back and asking them to call Honda.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2019 odyssey EX-L and the breaks started squeaking at 200 miles! I took it in and was told everything looked fine. They added an anti squeal to the back of the calipers; it did nothing. It seems louder. The squeal is louder on longer stops. I pushed the dealer to call Honda because something should be done as this is unacceptable. Was told that the car had to “break” in. Not buying it for a second. I drove two other Odysseus both 2019 and put almost 1,000 miles on each one; neither of them squeaked/squealed. I asked for new pads and was told they couldn’t do that. I’ve just called Honda to open up a case; they have to do something about this and try narrow down possible causes.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I just spent 1100 in Canada to replace pads and rear rotors and machine the front. Done at 65000 kms. A little put out that it wasn’t picked up in inspection two months earlier.

However. On the positive side I’ve owned 5 Odyssey’s going back to 2002. Don’t think I ever got more than 40000 kms out of pads and more often as not had rotor issues as well

So I’m pleased. And rotors are much bigger than previous generations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda is investigating certain 2018 Odysseys with a customer complaint of either a front brake noise or a rear brake noise.
I have 2018, at 25K miles, and the squeaking is getting to the annoying level. The dealership did a servicing couple months ago, and they didnt find any problems. Might have to take it back to them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same story here. 2019 EX-L with just over 20k on it. Brakes have been squealing for last 5k miles. Just had car inspected and my trusted mechanic says the pads are fine.

Anybody know what could be making all these brakes squeal before they are worn?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts