Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2011 Odyssey with RES is under 3,000 miles and we've noticed the brakes have a high pitch squeak fairly frequently when coming to a stop at slow speeds. This started at around 1,000 miles. We took it to the dealer and they said it is brake dust. As we left the lot after the service it was still and is still squeaking. Has anyone else had this problem and been told the same thing? We have a family member who owns a 2009 Odyssey and their brakes have never squeaked. Any ideas???? Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it specific to one corner? If so, it could be debris (rock, etc...) stuck between the rotor and pad/caliper. Our 2011 brakes have never made a peep.

I rallycross my EVO and it is fairly common to have some noisy brakes once I start playing in the dirt. Most falls out on its on, but there's been an occasional piece that will stay wedged in there until I remove it myself. It doesn't make a sound at speed, but can be the worst sound ever under 5 MPH and/or on the brakes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd second road debris in one of the brake assemblies. The stock pad composition used on the Odyssey are very quiet. Try to figure out which wheel is making the racket, and flush it with high power spray to dislodge whatever is in there. Depending on what it is, you may even be able to see some scoring of the rotor if it is a very hard material and has been there a while. Another possibility is that the caliper pins need to be lubricated and are not allwing smooth movement of the pads on and off the disk. Take it back. It is NOT brake dust, and if they tell you that again, take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our 2012 EX-L with < 3K miles squeaked at low speeds from the rear when cold from day 1, especially when reversing from my driveway. Definitely not road debris, as I pulled the rear wheels to check around. I'll check again when I rotate tires at 5K miles....and will probably pull the pads out to verify nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Our odyssey also squeals when pulling out of the garage. Seems like the rears are doing it.
I have yet to rally cross my ody though so not sure about debris :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have yet to rally cross my ody though so not sure about debris :)
What?? No rally cross? What the heck Phil? :confused:

Even if you don't race across the open tundra, you can and will pick ip stones or other debris that will sometimes get caught and held between your pads and rotors and usually makes a squeeling or grinding sound sometimes confused with the built-in wear indicators of the pads themselves.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brake dust is in fact a major cause of brake squeal and can many times be eliminated temporarily by simply hosing out the pads and calipers real well with your hose while washing your car. It will most likely come back after the dust builds up again. I have found the main cause to be the pads vibrating wherever they make contact with the caliper. I have recently retired after 40 years at a Porsche dealership as a technician and shop foreman (Porsche says "some brake noise is normal"!). The most effective solution that I have found is a very light coating of anti-seize on the edges of the pads where they ride in the caliper...being careful not to get any on the actual braking surface of the pad or rotor. My new '11 has a very slight amount of noise seemingly coming from the rear so that's most likely how I will cure it...for what it's worth.--Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
Brake dust is in fact a major cause of brake squeal and can many times be eliminated temporarily by simply hosing out the pads and calipers real well with your hose while washing your car. It will most likely come back after the dust builds up again. I have found the main cause to be the pads vibrating wherever they make contact with the caliper. I have recently retired after 40 years at a Porsche dealership as a technician and shop foreman (Porsche says "some brake noise is normal"!). The most effective solution that I have found is a very light coating of anti-seize on the edges of the pads where they ride in the caliper...being careful not to get any on the actual braking surface of the pad or rotor. My new '11 has a very slight amount of noise seemingly coming from the rear so that's most likely how I will cure it...for what it's worth.--Dave
Dave - Good point with the anti-seize. I have also seem where caliper lube on the backing plate can sometime cure a squealing situation. I personally have not found brake dust to be a cause, but I will certainly defer to your much more extensive credentials in this matter. I have driven a number of cars (including Porsches) with pad compounds that are perpetually noisy, but have not personally encountered dust causing the problem on an otherwise quiet pad setup like the Odyssey.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mocha, our new Odyssey (I can't get use to spelling it) shows very little dust on the wheels (with only 1000 miles) so I don't think that will necessarily be the problem. Most German cars (we also have a Passat and an Audi A6) the wheels will get dirty 2 miles after you clean the car and I have seen the "hose job" quiet down brakes (temporarily) on those cars. You are right on with the anti-seize on the backing plate of the pad where it contacts the caliper piston too! You're also right on that most German car brake compounds are softer and perpetually noisey!--Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
The brakes on our 2012 TE squeel/squeek when cold and first pulled out of the garage but the noise is gone within a few minutes of driving. I only hear the noise, by the way, if I have the windows down or sunroof open.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Da Hapa, ours is the same way...very minor and I only heard it when I was backing it up with the windows down. It'll have to get a lot worse before I do anything about it.--Dave

·
Registered
755 Posts
Clean up the brake pads and stuff and bed in your pads&rotors :D

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Brake dust is in fact a major cause of brake squeal
+1. More of the typical high pitch squeak than an actual squeal, but same thing.

For the ones mentioning the reverse brake squeaking, i.e. after raining and parked overnight, the squeak (and rubbing sound) may come from the subtle rust developed over the rotor surface overnight. I've experienced that with a couple of cars I've owned. The Mazdas are the worst so far.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bigboat - you are certainly right on the rusty rotor material on the Mazdas. I don't really call that a squeal, but it certainly lets you know that there is something on the rotors when you first apply the brakes. WOnder what is so different about the mazda rotor material - the Ody (Dave - its easier to spell Ody rather than Odyssey and it sounds like you are cool LOL) does not rust over anything like the Mazda, nor has any other car that I've owned, but that is a topic for another forum!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What?? No rally cross? What the heck Phil? :confused:
Ha ha, I know I know !!

About the debris thing, well back in the days when I was a ******* and had a Jeep that I went offroad with, I got plenty of good stuff in my brakes. The thing is that it sounded different and still manifested at higher speeds. Also, it cleared up after a little time. It could just be that I was getting bigger chunks in there that worked their way out, and now it's a small little piece and it's lodged in the pad. I'll look at the rotor for any markings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your professional opinion about the light brake noise and where it might be coming from. Its definitely not a stone or debris and I still have my doubts about brake dust. I thought if that were the case it shouldn't have made noise as we left the dealership's lot after have it inspected and "diagnosed." Thanks for the suggestion about the application of some anti-seize at the appropriate areas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The brakes on our 2012 TE squeel/squeek when cold and first pulled out of the garage but the noise is gone within a few minutes of driving. I only hear the noise, by the way, if I have the windows down or sunroof open.
I have the same exact problem on our 2011 EX-L. It literally only squeeks when coming out of the driveway and down the block. I can hear it inside and outside the car, it's pretty loud. After that it's gone completely. Was going to have the dealer look at it, but by the time I get there the squeek will be gone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts