Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my van has started making this squeaky sound after a Cold start that seems to go away after about 3-4 minutes of driving...so basically once the engine warms up. During that 3-4 minutes sometimes the sound will stop if you're just coasting (not hitting the gas) and then if you hit the gas the sound comes back...it also seems like the more you press the gas, the faster the squeaky sound will pick up as well. Then after the engine I'm guessing reaches a normal operating temp the sound just goes away. If you start it again warm the sound is still gone. Let the van sit a few hours and start it up and boom squeaky noise returns for the first few minutes. Any clue what this is before I take it to the shop?

Here's a video of the sound I'm hearing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x5c11axPBSP59_cRG3_0iGI8ZG_hN5D7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Serpentine Belt was replaced about 3 weeks ago. Sound started about 2 weeks after the belt was replaced. Odd timing indeed. Maybe defective belt or not installed properly?

Couldn't help but notice the name and from Texas....live in Mesquite? That's home for me! lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
Used to live out west, millions of mesquite trees, lol.

Spray water on belt when squeaking to see if it stops, if so it's the belt. Search this forum for advice on this from experts. Next maybe remove serp belt and spin all the pulleys, or listen carefully to each piece while running, be careful (think you can use a screwdriver to conduct sound)!. Suspects are alternator, idlers, compressor. Cars can go a very long ways with a few squeaks...

·
Registered
144 Posts
One time my other SUV got a very old squeaky belt. Replaced it but after a few days the squeak came back. My mechanic adjusted the belt tension and the squeak was gone. I used to spray belt dressing. I found usually it works for a long time on a not too bad belt. More people say belt dressing is a temporary fix before a new replacement.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Serpentine belt stretches over time, you can identify this by looking at the mark on the auto tensioner. Once they stretch, they squeak when cold. Once they stretch even more, they squeak even when everything is warmed up.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If the above suggestions don't work!!!
Another suspect is the tensioner pulley for that belt.
I know on the older CTV's the AC Comp tensioner pulley would make a squeaky sound in the cold and it would last from 10 sec or so to several minutes. That meant the bearings were going out.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it to my mechanic today so I'll post back when I hear what he says. As the cold weather moved in (40's) the sound was much louder on a cold start and seemed to take much longer to quiet down. Usually would die off in about 3-4 minutes now lasting for a good solid 10 minutes or so and sometimes the sound doesnt seem to go away completely. Once the car seems to warm up, I do not hear the sound when sitting idle or when coasting, but as soon as I hit the gas and start accelerating I hear it. Unlike on a cold start when the sound just occurs no matter what.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we replaced the idler pulley and sound still persists. Ugh. So I'm supposed to take it back this morning so they can listen to it more and see what else they want to replace.

I did find this video on Youtube and I'm curious about the Harmonic Balancer because this sounds exactly the same noise wise and he experienced the same thing with the noise getting louder as the month went on and the sound going away once the engine warmed up.

Wonder if that could be it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention the van recently started having a new symptom...upon a cold start, when the sound is the loudest and constant (meaning at idle, park, accelerating, etc), the engine also seems to be having accelerating issues after a stop. It's revving it up to like 2-3000 RPMs and the engine has very little push. Ofcourse the more I hit the gas the louder and faster sounding that chirp gets as well. Now this only happens after a cold start and after a few minutes once the engine warms up the sound dies off unless you are accelerating over 2000 rpms and the accelerating feels just fine. So whatever it is, it is at its worst on a cold start, seems to die off mostly once the engine warms up, is affected by accelerating because the more you accelerate over 2000 rpms once warmed up the more you hear it and the faster it gets, and upon cold start is now affecting engine performance when accelerating from a stop.

Puzzling indeed.

Still at shop so I'm curious what they'll say next. I just don't want to keep guessing and throwing money at parts that aren't responsible for the squeal / chirp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just a little squirt of WD40 on the belt works wonders, not too much though!
Used to do it once a year on my old Plymouth voyager, works better than "Belt Dressing"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately, I don't think it's a belt issue. Now they are referring me back to PepBoys who installed a new alternator about a month ago saying the alternator is making a grinding noise and needs to be replaced for a possible bad bearing. I am just losing confidence that this issue is getting fixed. They also said the noise I heard this morning was due to a intake hose they left off from yesterday, even though the noise was the same squealing noise as before and again died off as the engine warmed up. I don't think in an intake hose was the cause of that and again why was it the same exact squealing noise? Just getting real frustrated now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So my mechanic is keeping it overnight tonight so he can listen to the sound tomorrow morning on a cold start (when it seems to be at its worst) and see if he can narrow it down to the alternator or something else. He seems to think that it's the alternator, but we should know for sure tomorrow.

Curious though because if I take it back to Pepboys under the warranty they are just going to throw another Wilson one in there. Does anyone else have any experience with this brand in a Honda Odyssey? I'm just wondering if it was a defective product and hopefully not going to continue facing problems with a new one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pep Boys I have heard a lot of complaints about that franchise . I am having that sound you have in the video, most say it is the belt tensioner , some say it is the timing belt tensioner I myself do not know . I had my timing belt , water pump and related parts replaced along with the serpentine belt and tensioner. I will probably pick it up tomorrow or the next day , they have had the Ody for 8 days and if the noise is gone which I expect it to be I will be happy. Plus I will post the pictures of the replaced timing belt , and tranny filter which was also replaced . Goodluck to you I hope it turns out well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts