Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Do heed the advise to check for a leak dripping onto the alternator. There is a valve that controls the VCM right above it that is known to leak and ruin alternators.

Registered
I'm like dude it slides upward.
馃槀
does the bracket really need to come off?
Go in a 3rd gen odyssey and to change the alternator. Then come back here and tell me how you got it out :)

Registered

Registered
Considering all the work you've already done, you may have done these simple tests, but if not (and for others in your situation):
  • Does the sound remain when the drive belt is off?
    • If the sound is still there with the drive belt off, you've ruled out a ton of things, including the power steering.
  • If the sound goes away, put the belt back on, get it idling with the noise present, and carefully squirt some water onto the belt. No harm will be done, and if there is any change in noise, it may lead to some good info.
  • A mechanic's stethoscope or substitute (long screwdriver, etc.) can sometimes help isolate the source of a problem, but not always.
  • Just throwing this one out there - sometimes a high pitched noise can be electrical, not mechanical at all.
And that was my thread cited above. I had thought my drive belt tensioner might be failing, but it is actually still in the car and doing great. It was the alternator pulley that went bad. Random rattling noise not correlated with temperature, speed, AC, or anything else. Main thing that made it so hard to find was that I had no idea the pulley was not a standard solid pulley. A squeal vs. a rattling means you probably don't have the problem I did there.
Great diagnostic. You can also turn your steering wheel back and forth with the engine running and if your suspect sound changes pitch it鈥檚 the power steering pump. If not, turn your headlights on and off. If your whine changes pitch it probably is the alternator. If neither, then turn air conditioner on and off. If pitch change, then could be bad compressor bearings. Then take off the serpentine belt. If no noise, then look for bad tensioner pulley bearings or tensioner worn out and out of alignment if belt wearing badly. If still there w belt off, then has to be timing belt or transmission.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
So, after doing a little research, I got a remanufactured alternator from Autozone (You get a lifetime warranty, so I can just take it back to the store and get an exchange) and it has done the trick. The noise is definitely gone. Removing the old alternator was definitely "fun". It's interesting how it seemed impossible to remove while I was wriggling it around until I inadvertently hit the "right angle" and it just pulled out with ease. FWIW, the alternator was facing up with the bottom of the alternator (the part with the bottom bolt hole) coming out first. (y)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts