Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a squealing noise that just developed on my van it sounds like a belt squeal and only happens under a very light acceleration for example if i am maintaining speed and give it just a little gas it will squeal. Under anything more than part throttle it does not happen and also in netruel it does not happen usless i rev it very high and then it is only a very slight noise. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be. it is a 2007 EX-L RES with 64K miles. The belt looks like it is tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine just started to do this. 50K on my 2007 EX-L.

I replaced the belt with Gates to see if that was it...nope. So I took it into the stealership to get it checked. Since I have a road trip coming up, I asked them to do a inspection on it and because I know the Odys have tranny failure, I asked them to check that out and also to drain and fill so it can be DOCUMENTED that a Honda dealership maintained it. Anyway, after $120, they said it was my rear brakes...which I then replaced it myself...good thing because it was wearing very thin (1-2mm). Well, I do some bigger car work at my friend's garage because he's got a lift. After the brake job, I drove it to make sure the brakes were functioning properly. Well that sound was (is still is) still there.
So my friend and I looked under the Ody...and we think we found the source of the problem. The flexing material covering the exhaust had worn/burned itself off the connection point. This is the woven metallic shield that is about 8 inches long, about 1ft before the cat. So part of the exhaust system after the engine and before the catalytic. The front portion was completely off and the rear was still intact. This piece helps with the flex of the exhaust system from the engine movement. I looked at the warranty manual...36K. Bummer.
Anyway, I'm going to place an aluminum band around it so that it doesn't vibrate under certain speed/frequency. I tapped the area with a rubber headed hammer/tapper and it definitely made "loose" noise that sounds like a "shaker". I think at certain vibration speed it will sound like a light squeal as it would vibrate very very rapidly...I think it will work...but will have to see about that later on today.

But good thing is that it made me replace the belt first. I've read people changing it out at 80k so I wasn't going to change it anytime soon...but when I inspected the original belt after replacing it, the ribbed area was cracking and the smooth side compared to the new one was glazed. I thought it was fine before because it was tight and the ribbed side felt smooth. Can't tell unless removed. If you haven't done it, go ahead and replace that with a Gates or factory belt. Don't use anything else.

It's easy and you can find many instructions on this forum. You do need two people for fast change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts