Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for not searching but I can't figure out how to search only this forum since the update, it wants to search all the forums.

I have a 2018 Odyssey and I have noticed my brakes have begun to squeal/screech. I assume this is the "your pads are getting low" warning? Is 22k a normal mileage for having this happen, ie this wouldn't be covered by warranty? How long might I have before I get them replaced? I don't want to damage the rotors.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Honda brake parts are notoriously bad. I experienced the same issues, it won’t be covered under warranty as pads are wear items, and rotors are only “warrantied” for the first 1K miles or so. The best they MIGHT do for you, is offer to turn your rotors.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay.. I just made an appointment at my local shop to have it looked at this weekend. Hopefully whatever pads they have are better than Honda's.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Okay.. I just made an appointment at my local shop to have it looked at this weekend. Hopefully whatever pads they have are better than Honda's.
Organic pads are just garbage. You can use what your shop recommends, semi metallic or ceramic.

Was it the front or the rear that was making the sound?

I am 25K+ and on Sunday, when I looked at the front pads, it had about 10.2mm still left. New pad thickness is 16.9mm. Rear is 15.4mm when fresh.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Squealing pads aren't necessarily indicative of poor quality pads. The squeal is usually brake dust or dirt that gets trapped between the pad and rotor when force is applied. Brake dust is a good thing when it comes to performance. When you have two metals (semi-metallic or ceramic pads and iron rotors) one of the metals is going to give. Ideally you would want a softer metal for the pad so you have to replace rotors less and let the pad be the consumable. I only use organic pads since they are a lot softer. Yes, they produce a lot of dust and can squeal if not cleaned regularly but I have 350,000 miles on my 3/4 ton truck and have never changed the rotors because they still spec within minimum thickness. I buy lifetime pads and change them about once a year.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I’ve been thinking Honda brakes are improving. I have had 5 Odyssey’s going back to 2002 (getting tired of typing that lol )
Seldom got 40000 kms ( (20000 miles) out of pads and often far less.

Replaced pads and 2 rotors on my 2018 Ody at 65000 kms ( over 40000 miles) and my 2017 HRV with 85000 kms had the brakes serviced this week. Still 4 mm on front pads. 6 on rear. Rotors fine. Should get another month or two on HRV.

I have a lot of complaints with my Ody top of the line. My HRV has been trouble free.

But brakes have not been an issue on either. Wish the dealer or myself had been able to save the rotors on the Ody but considering the mileage we drive and my experience with earlier models, I think I’m doing well.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Brake life span - no matter the material - will also be a function of:
  • Kinds of loads you carry on a regular basis
  • Personal driving habits like high amounts of stop and go driving
  • Living in a hilly area
  • Extreme temperatures all year

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2019 EXL and at 200 miles (yes you read that right) my rear breaks started squeaking/squealing. I brought it in, was told they have to “break in”. No dust was on them. They scratched up the rear pads and it didn’t make a difference. Dealership wasn’t willing to do anything. I called American Honda and opened a case. I had two other 2019 Odysseys that I put 1,000 miles on and they never squeaked. I also have a rattle in the dashboard and steering wheel that occurred around 300 miles; but that’s a whole other story. CleArly, something is wrong. Faulty parts? Improper fitting?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had it checked out over the weekend and the mechanic said there was still plenty of pad left. He said it was probably a hard spot in the pad that was causing the noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 2018 Ody EXL that had the rear brakes squeal after < 10k miles. In retrospect, it also sounded like scraping, but hard to tell from inside the car. I discovered that the rear brake dust shield warped and was scraping against the rotor. This was a little surprising to me since the van was new. Since I was in Big Sur at the time and far from any Honda dealer or, pretty much anything at all, I manually bent the shielding and the scraping/squealing stopped. It's been 10k since I did that, and it hasn't returned.

I have not seen any similar comments that found this same cause yet. I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Rbirkhah, I have had that happen where an object struct the backing plate and bent it in just enough to make contact with the rotor. You did the right thing by just bending it back out. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
402 Posts
@Neekey , did they diagnose the electric parking brake actuators? If they are malfunctioning, then the rear pads would drag. Are you in a position to take off (by yourself) the rotor, pads, and calipers to ensure nothing is either lodged in there? Pictures of the brake rotor surface and the brake pad's friction side may tell us something, if you are unable to find anything.

Btw, you cannot diagnose a sound when you are inside the van. Have someone else drive it, and you inspect it while outside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a front brake pad squealing from jump with my 18'. I kept telling them and they kept cleaning them and inspecting them saying it was fine or they didn't hear it. Finally at 25k I told them it was unacceptable and since it was happening from the beginning and they had documentation that they had worked on them about 6 times they covered replacing the pad. They said they did find a service bulletin with the issue and were able to get Honda to cover it. Probably not possible without it happening from the beginning and documenting throughout. No squeak since which is a glorious thing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Neekey , did they diagnose the electric parking brake actuators? If they are malfunctioning, then the rear pads would drag. Are you in a position to take off (by yourself) the rotor, pads, and calipers to ensure nothing is either lodged in there? Pictures of the brake rotor surface and the brake pad's friction side may tell us something, if you are unable to find anything.

Btw, you cannot diagnose a sound when you are inside the van. Have someone else drive it, and you inspect it while outside.

@smufguy
Took my van to another dealership that’s as willing to work on it. They found s brake clip was bent on my rear left side. (That’s what the called it). They bent it back into shape and sent me on my way. It still squeaked. I brought it back. The clip marked up the rotor so they machined the rotors and put on new break pads. Noise was gone. Fast forward about 500 miles and it’s doing it again. I don’t have the ability to take those things off you referred to. I am taking it back this week and I will mention the above to them. I thought for it to occur something must be wrong with the brake or tire assembly if the same part is bent again. I also have that annoying static popping noise that started around 1200 miles. Dashboard rattles were muffled with soundproofing foam.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that. There is a good reason why I have taken my Ridgeline, in the 9 years and 234K miles I have owned it, only 4 times to the dealership and twice I had huge issues.

Pad Clips:
If the pad clip was misaligned or is indeed coming misaligned, then replacing it with something new would be advised. Bunch of times the old ones are reused by bending the tabs back. Problem is, they snap off. If these clips are not properly 'cradling' the pads, then them knocking around as they make contact can cause the sound.

Caliper retraction
Typically you can address the caliper retraction by taking out the guide pins, cleaning and lubing the pins, boots and the receiver on the caliper bracket. Too much grease also causes some weird squeaks as the boot & grease make an air tight seal around the guide pin, that resists caliper clamping and over extends the caliper making the pad orientation within the caliper.

Glazed brake pads/rotor
My wife has a bad habit of riding the brakes as she does not want to 'brake last minute'. I had to re-bed the brakes three weeks ago as I had this shimmy during the initial braking, and I have it again. Glazed pads also squeal/squeak. Re-bedding/Bedding the brakes is easy, but also easy to muck up. I have done it around 11pm on an interstate when traffic is not an issue to brake hard and also continue to cruise.

If the dealership checks everything out and end up 'fixing' the issue, which happens to be temporary, then look into something that is aftermarket for the pads and rotors.
With Centric, the rear rotors are 120.40099 and the pads are 105.19540. These numbers are part numbers and Centric is a very reputable company. The pads are the same ones in the '17+ Acura MDX. You can also opt for the PowerStop Evolution performance rotors

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that. There is a good reason why I have taken my Ridgeline, in the 9 years and 234K miles I have owned it, only 4 times to the dealership and twice I had huge issues.

Pad Clips:
If the pad clip was misaligned or is indeed coming misaligned, then replacing it with something new would be advised. Bunch of times the old ones are reused by bending the tabs back. Problem is, they snap off. If these clips are not properly 'cradling' the pads, then them knocking around as they make contact can cause the sound.

Caliper retraction
Typically you can address the caliper retraction by taking out the guide pins, cleaning and lubing the pins, boots and the receiver on the caliper bracket. Too much grease also causes some weird squeaks as the boot & grease make an air tight seal around the guide pin, that resists caliper clamping and over extends the caliper making the pad orientation within the caliper.

Glazed brake pads/rotor
My wife has a bad habit of riding the brakes as she does not want to 'brake last minute'. I had to re-bed the brakes three weeks ago as I had this shimmy during the initial braking, and I have it again. Glazed pads also squeal/squeak. Re-bedding/Bedding the brakes is easy, but also easy to muck up. I have done it around 11pm on an interstate when traffic is not an issue to brake hard and also continue to cruise.

If the dealership checks everything out and end up 'fixing' the issue, which happens to be temporary, then look into something that is aftermarket for the pads and rotors.
With Centric, the rear rotors are 120.40099 and the pads are 105.19540. These numbers are part numbers and Centric is a very reputable company. The pads are the same ones in the '17+ Acura MDX. You can also opt for the PowerStop Evolution performance rotors
Thank you for all of this information. They had my van last week and found nothing. Said it all looked fine and said they applied more anti squeak. Well it squealed like a maniac all day today so I contacted them again and am waiting to hear back. I will share what you wrote above. Hopefully, we will figure something out. This whole experience has been disappointing to say the least.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts