Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since I don't use my Ody as a daily driver, I have just driven it since replacing the OEM steering wheel last week and have noticed the SRS indicator light on. I will review my connections and try to research the Helm manual to see if there is any way of reseting it. Just in case, does anyone know how to reset this?
Thanks,
=Hy=

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, looks the Helm Manual has come through again! If any of you have any doubts about the value of this book, they should be eradicated immediately. Went through the SRS troubleshooting part in my 99 manual (starting on page 23-27) and came across this section titled "Erasing the DTC Memory." Honda mentions using a special service connector (07PAZ-0010100)which is nothing more than a 2 pin OEM female connector. Since I save EVERYTHING, I just happened to have one from a wire harness I saved when I replaced the turn signal/wiper control on the 89 Accord several years ago. After soldering the 2 wires together as per the illustration and following its convoluted directions, all is well
It seems that the Ody steering wheel replacement instructions (which are duplicated in the Helm manual with additional info) that Trevor sent me made no mention that after replacing the steering wheel, an error code could occur and trigger the SRS indicator. All that was needed was to reset it! Back in business.

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 03-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Hy,

This weekend I'm gonna try to install that Acura steering wheel. Looks like it'll fit. As for the SRS - what exactly do I need to do. I heard you could just use a paperclip to reset it. Does that sound right?

-nemogira

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Hy,

This weekend I'm gonna try to install that Acura steering wheel. Looks like it'll fit. As for the SRS - what exactly do I need to do. I heard you could just use a paperclip to reset it. Does that sound right?

-nemogira
</font>
I suppose its possible but the Helm manual warns against it. Ideally, you want an adapter that can be shunted (shorted) that will fit the existing plug. If you don't have one, you could probably buy some individual connectors at Radio Shack that will fit the flat blade design of the connector's pins. You want to avoid creating some type of intermittent short which could happen with a paper clip!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are new owners (waited 0 days, paid MSRP for our GG EX). We convinced the dealer to include foglamps, 6 disk indash CD changer and subwoofer for the same price as HandA. I installed them myself. Installation was easy and clean using the directions downloaded from HandA website and comments in these forums. They all look great. Best fog lamps I have ever had! Installing the foglamps includes removing the connector from the headlight switch. Now my SRS indicator lamp in the dash is continuously lit. Member named hip found a procedure in the Helm manual to reset the DTC memory by jumpering out two connector pins using a prefabricated connector. Hey hip, is the procedure simple enough that you could post it for me? Would save me a trip to the dealer and an argument to convince them to fix it for no cost. Thanks

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odjob:
We are new owners (waited 0 days, paid MSRP for our GG EX). We convinced the dealer to include foglamps, 6 disk indash CD changer and subwoofer for the same price as HandA. I installed them myself. Installation was easy and clean using the directions downloaded from HandA website and comments in these forums. They all look great. Best fog lamps I have ever had! Installing the foglamps includes removing the connector from the headlight switch. Now my SRS indicator lamp in the dash is continuously lit. Member named hip found a procedure in the Helm manual to reset the DTC memory by jumpering out two connector pins using a prefabricated connector. Hey hip, is the procedure simple enough that you could post it for me? Would save me a trip to the dealer and an argument to convince them to fix it for no cost. Thanks</font>
The first time my SRS light came on I took it to my local dealer and they were able to reset it at no cost. It should fall under the warranty.

But I did buy the device (if that's what you can call it) used in resetting the light. All it is a looped wire connected to a harness. The resetting procedure is in the Helm Manual. I think the instructions are on this site too...somewhere? Maybe do some searchin' in the Problems and Concerns section.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 01-28-2002).]

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celler:
Where did you get the reset "tool"? TIA.</font>
Contact Trevor at www.handa-accessories.com and ask for a SCS Service connector (part# 07PAZ-0010100). Cost $4

I've heard it's possible to just use a regular wire or even a paper clip, but please note: USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
239 Posts
Please read the topic: SRS on after installation on the 2nd page of this forum.
Here is the quotes too:
posted 12-23-2001 06:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just finished installing an underseat cd changer. I feel like I just finished a final exam because I have been preparing this for long time, have been reading the procedure, the odyclub's thread repeatedly for a few days. The main concern was the pulling of the center panel. But tbanks to the tips of chuck and nemogira, it was not that bad. No one should listen to the instruction as to use a wrapped screwdriver to pry the fog light switch, it will damage the panel, guaranteed. Just leave the switch alone. I tried to do as the instrcution said when it was too tough to pull with bare hand, I stopped immediately when I saw that it started scratching, I returned to the bare hand technique with stronger force and voila.
However, now the SRS light comes on, does anyone have the SRS light on after finished installation? What should I check to find out what's wrong?
IP: Logged

2002EXL
posted 12-23-2001 08:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somewhere in your installation you must have tapped into the SRS system. You better retrace your steps. Do not take power or ground from anywhere but a direct tap.
HTH
John
IP: Logged

lotus18
posted 12-24-2001 12:13 PM
I finally found out what's happened. This would be happened to only 02' owners who installed underseat changer. What happened was the 02' has side airbag and the when anyone who disconnected any airbag and then turned the ignition on, the computer will recorded as malfuctctin of the SRS system and will be stored in the system's memory.
I remember nemogira's mod of swapping the TL steering wheel when he said we need to buy a tool to erase or reset the memory. That's what happened to him because he disconnected the driver's airbag, and probably he had turned on the ignition before reconnecting the airbag.
This was never a problem for pre-02' owners who has installed underseat changer because they did not have side airbag to disconnect. Even for the 02' owners if they disconnect the side airbag per instruction and if they did not turn on the ignition before reconnecting the airbag, there will not be any problem.
What I did was: I wanted to test the changer before mounting it onto the seat, I turned on the ignition and tried it out, without reconnecting the airbag, the system considered it's malfunction of the SRS system and keeped that in the memory.
I went to the dealer and have them to erase/reset the memory this morning. It took them only about 10 min. Now everything's back to normal.

So, next time when you disconnect the airbag, do not turn ignition on until you have connected them back in order to avoid the SRS light being ON all the time. Or, as nemogira said, buy the adapter if your warranty is out, it is a cheap tool to keep.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Honda suggests disconnecting the negative battery terminal and waiting three minutes before disconnecting any airbag.

·
Registered
62 Posts
SRS indicator

Is the SRS sytem still function if the light is on due to an under the driver seat installation?

I added the sub woofer and yes I too wanted to try it out before I re-installed the driver seat, so I in turn sent an error to the computer.

Won't get to resetting it until Saturday, is it ok for now to have the light on?

joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
SRS Light - How to Reset

SRS Light came on for no apparent reason.
Honda dealer reset the light for $40.00, ..

but told me how to reset all the electronic modules.
1) Turn off everything: radio, wipers, a/c, ..
2) Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes.
3) Reconnect the battery.
4) Start car and let idle for 10 minutes (keep radio, a/c, .. OFF)
This will be enought time for all the electronic modules to "re-learn" and "reset".

I paid $40.00 for about 5 minutes of work by the technician. I wish I would have tried this first :(

Kevin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nope, khugsj, this doesn't work all it accomplished for me was having to reset the clock and all my radio presets. Does anyone know where the MES connector is located on a 1996? The manual shows it is on the drivers side relay panel, fuse box, but I don't see it there. The 07PAZ-0010100 worked great to reset the SRS light on my 2002, but I can't locate the connector for my 1996.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts