Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Stabilizer end link removal problem

2178 Views 51 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  celicool
I'm, trying, to replace my stabilizer bar end links. One is bad, the other isn't. I thought as long as I'm doing it, I might as well do both.

I started with the passenger side. I can't get the nut off of the top bolt. I tried an impact wrench. That loosened it, but it will only come off so far. I tried using a socket, that's not doing any good. Tried using my hand, not working. It's like the thing is stripped. All it does is turn and turn but the nut isn't coming out any further. I thought about penetrating oil, but all I have is 3 in 1. Any ideas?
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
'22 Pilot Touring, '20 Civic Touring Sport, '12 Ody EX, '01 Accord EX V6 280k miles
39 Posts
cutting with a hack saw would take forever, would be faster to go down to harbor freight or the hardware store and get a cutoff wheel. Definitely need something bigger than the fragile dremel cutting disc, would actually need at least their fiber reinforced cut off wheel. These days I will spray it with penetrating oil, try it a few hours later, and if doesn't come off first try, I cut it off with a cut off wheel in minutes. another option is to cut the nut on two sides and use a chisel to crack the nut off. that takes minutes as well.

· Registered
3 Posts
cutting with a hack saw would take forever, would be faster to go down to harbor freight or the hardware store and get a cutoff wheel. Definitely need something bigger than the fragile dremel cutting disc, would actually need at least their fiber reinforced cut off wheel. These days I will spray it with penetrating oil, try it a few hours later, and if doesn't come off first try, I cut it off with a cut off wheel in minutes. another option is to cut the nut on two sides and use a chisel to crack the nut off. that takes minutes as well.
I used a cutoff wheel in a grinder right where the base of the bolt contacts the mount. First one was a little scary, second one too less than 20 minutes ago get the new one on.

· Registered
22 Posts
I'm, trying, to replace my stabilizer bar end links. One is bad, the other isn't. I thought as long as I'm doing it, I might as well do both.

I started with the passenger side. I can't get the nut off of the top bolt. I tried an impact wrench. That loosened it, but it will only come off so far. I tried using a socket, that's not doing any good. Tried using my hand, not working. It's like the thing is stripped. All it does is turn and turn but the nut isn't coming out any further. I thought about penetrating oil, but all I have is 3 in 1. Any ideas?
Try using a dremel with cutting wheel and cut the nut/s on opposite sides. That should weaken the. On the other side, heat the nut well with a small propane torch before loosening utilizing an impact wrench. Make sure you heat it well

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,483 Posts
Try using a dremel with cutting wheel and cut the nut/s on opposite sides. That should weaken the. On the other side, heat the nut well with a small propane torch before loosening utilizing an impact wrench. Make sure you heat it well
He already completed the job.

· Registered
33 Posts
just helped my son do all 4 corners of his car, so 8 nuts all together. ended up using a combination of sawsall, grinder, allen wrench, box end wrench, impact. What ended up working the best is to break the link from its mounting studs and grabbing the ball/shaft with vice grips then bumping the nut off with an impact. A good spray with penetrating oil also helps.

· Registered
112 Posts
A nut splitter is a good tool to have. Although if you
"split it too hard" you can mung the stud threads. Go
easy and wait for it.

I like "Aero Kroil" penetrating oil (Kano Labs) best,
you can sometimes find them offering direct-buy
discounts on their web site. Give it overnight to do
its thing.

A piece of 3/4" EMT will turn your second best
ratchet into a breaker bar... if you've got the bite.

Using a small sledge / ball pein hammer on the tail
of the handle is a poor man's impact wrench (works
for vise grips too - see "bite").

· Registered
702 Posts

save yourself a lot of grief and just cut it off.

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm, trying, to replace my stabilizer bar end links. One is bad, the other isn't. I thought as long as I'm doing it, I might as well do both. I started with the passenger side. I can't get the nut off of the top bolt. I tried an impact wrench. That loosened it, but it will only come off so far. I tried using a socket, that's not doing any good. Tried using my hand, not working. It's like the thing is stripped. All it does is turn and turn but the nut isn't coming out any further. I thought about penetrating oil, but all I have is 3 in 1. Any ideas?
The best way to get off old stabilizers links is to carefully cut then off. Then when you put the new ones on Tien them as much as you can, and use thread lock on before you Tien them. Because they tend to come loose hope this helps you out.

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L
210 Posts
My go-to tool for ball stud style end link removal is my Makita sawzall. Those things never unbolt. I do usually get the nut to loosen slightly, which then I can stick the blade in the gap and only have to cut the stud and not the nut too.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
This is the one part you don't want to go OE.
Cut off my right side with a small hacksaw (PITA), then removed the left side with an offset box end & Allen Keyed ratchet combo (see #16). This is the only way they could come out.
Replacement was a Moog. All I needed was 2 18mm wrenches, and they came with grease fittings to lube both ends. It's a no brainer. Had to removed one last year (after 6 years) to work on my right LCA, and it came out and went back in without any issues.
OE design is a failed engineer.

Now, can we all move on?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts