Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any trick to removing the stabilizer bar end links on a 2004? Way too rusted to do anything with an allen head wrench. Impact wrench loosened the strut side a little bit, but now it just spins.

Thought I could use a nut breaker on the lower side, but turns out the nut is flanged so it doesn't completely cut through.

I also tried using a 19mm wrench to hold the inner nut but it looks like it just spins independently of the outer one and the shaft.

Jack up the knuckle to put weight on the joint to keep it from spinning as much?

I searched and someone mentioned using a sawzall. Just stick the sawzall between the rubber joint part and the sway bar?

Finished up the timing belt and figured I'd do the struts while the van was on jacks already. argh!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The last two sets of seized endlinks I've encountered (not on an Odyssey) have met their demise via an air-powered cut off wheel. Mitsubishi wanted $90 each, but found some OE-style made by Moog for about $20.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did you ever get the end link nuts removed?

Other than sawing them off, I would soak the fasteners with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench for a few hours and use a ratcheting 17mm box end wrench to remove the nut while holding the threaded stem stationary. Typically you would use a 6mm Allen bit to secure the stem, but it sounds like the Allen head is rusted beyond use.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up using the sawzall on both lower ends. The allen head holes were so rusted I couldn't even tell if it was a 5 or 6mm size. I did put some antiseize on the new ones and filled the allen head hole with it also, just in case I have to try to remove them in one piece in the future.

With the knuckle jacked up I had no problems using a torque wrench to tighten them to 58 ft-lbs. Didn't even need the allen wrench for that part.

BoostMe97 -- nice choice in cars! I used to have a '91 GVR4 (#1630) and replaced it with an Evo IX. Kind of miss the Galant, it was a much better sleeper compared to the Evo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
BoostMe97 -- nice choice in cars! I used to have a '91 GVR4 (#1630) and replaced it with an Evo IX. Kind of miss the Galant, it was a much better sleeper compared to the Evo.
Nice! My GVR4 is a giant paperweight (DOA due to timing belt). It's almost back up and running. Hopefully, over the winter I can get it back together. I guess the EVO will have to do until then ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
there is red loctite on it, apply 550 degree heat and it comes right off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts