Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stalling!! Help!!

Hi Everyone! First off I would like to say, I really like this group and it has been really helpful.

We have a 99 Ody EX with 116,xxx miles on it. And recently I have had the van stall for no apparent reason on a few different occasions. The first one was during a right hand turn, the dash lights just flashed. The second time it happened I was parked up a hill and the van was leaning to the right. It would turn over and then just die with all of the dash lights on. It did it 3 times before I could go anywhere. The next time it happened I was going 35 mph on a smooth road, went over a small bump in the road, and after I cleared the bump, the dash lights went on and I was waiting for it to die, however it did not since I was cruising at 2000 rpm. The final time it happened was when coasting up a hill to a stop light going 5 mph and all of the lights lit up, it died, and it started right up.

I searched around the group and found that it seems like the ignition switch recall theory. However, the previous owner HAD the recall done in 2002! So is it due for another ignition switch???? And is there any hope that American Honda would help since their recall work failed???

One other quick note: We have the “D” light dims and gets brighter. I have read that it is the green wire coming off the alternator. Is that a hard thing to replace????

Thanks,

Kyle

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Suggest going to a dealer to have a diagnosis. Other possibilities to search on are: broken wire to power steering pressure switch (may not apply to your model year), EGR clogging and transmission.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I highly doubt its the ERG clogging since there is no loss of power or surging, it just dies. No other warning other than the lights on the dashboard light up and you can restart it right away. I also doubt its the transmission since it does not shift rough, and has had its drain and fills done regularly.

New Dad New Van: Could you explain why it would be the transmission??

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I guess it was this thread that I was referring to when I mentioned the transmission.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1235&highlight=1999+stalling

Not really what you want to be the problem and the regular maintenance does not mean your transmission is bullet-proof.

It could also be the ignition switch again. See here for the recall details:

http://www.visualimpressions.ca/switch/

Or another possibility is the Idle Air Control Valve.

If you take it to a dealer they will see if any OBD codes were tripped.

Let us know your outcome. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got the same thing happening to my 2002 EX some months ago. Refer to thread http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26064

The dealer did not get any error code, so it is still a mystery. I got 3 stalls in about a month's time. Then it stopped happening for a few months. It happened once about 2 months ago. I have not encountered it after then.

The stall normally happens when the van is coming to a stop, or about to move off from a stop; it never happen when the van is moving. I will be very interested at what you find.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Well, I just got back from the mall in the Ody. The way there it was fine. On the way back it died when I first went out to start it to leave. The rpms went up and then they fell to 0 meaning it stalled.

It did it to me again when accelerating from a stop light at about 2500 rpm's but it caught luckily in heavy traffic.

Then, it did it again waiting at a stop light it was fine for about a minute just sitting still then it did it again, however this time, only the "D" light flashed and it shuttered.

No check engine light yet.

Now its not safe to drive.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
The flashing D light could mean transmission. Or it could mean that the real problem makes the transmission screw up. I vote for the idle air control valve. This is what made my wife's die.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Take the vehicle to the dealer. Times over for guesing. If I had to guess though its the trans. If the torqe converter is in full lock up and your in a slow speed the vehicle will stall. Like have a stick shift in 5th gear when doing 10 mph.

Eric

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well after I got back home safely from the mall, my Dad and I dropped it off at our mechanic so if he cannot find anything, then we'll go to the Dealer.

Thanks all!

I'll post what his findings are. Its just strange that there is not one thing in common with every time it has happened me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Well, we got the Ody back yesterday. Our mechanic started with the simplest fix, which was to clean the throttle body. It has not acted up (knock on wood) and by him cleaning the intake body, the gas pedal is not as stiff anymore. So I hope this solves the problem but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sdody-

Well, its been just about 2 weeks since the throttle body was cleaned and it has not done it since. But being a 99 with over 116,xxx miles on it there could be more to it.

I read through your thread and I find it interesting that yours only happens when you are about to stop or start moving.

Mine's occured in many different situations. Happened with both keys and slowing down, stopped at a stop light, and while accelerating.

So I hope that fixed the problem.

Kyle

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the update, its a new one to me that a dirty trottle body would cause that, I've seen hundreds of diry throttle bodys but never one that would cause a stall. keeps us updated.

Eric

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update 2

EricD - I am not sure what our mechanic cleaned in the intake body.

-----

Well, today after many short trips I was going to take one of my brother's friends home. I got in the van started it and the RPMs rose as the engine cranked like normal but they fell to 500 RPM and I had to give it some gas and it was hesitant to catch. But it caught and I revved it to 1500 RPM and took my foot of the gas and it went to 1000 RPM quickly and then slowly down to 750 RPM. It was fine after that.

I have searched all over this site about my issue and think that its the IAC Valve. I was wondering what the heck it looks like or is there another name for it since I cannot find it on the HondaAutomotiveParts.com website for the Odyssey. Anyone have the part number or a picture of it???

Thanks,

Kyle

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm Cursed!!!

Well, its been about a month since I have had any problems with the van stalling and now I have to say it happened again, twice on my way home from school.

I was going 50 MPH with cruise set driving on a smooth road talking to one of my friends when I told her that the van just died. So I pulled over to the side of the road and it started right back up.

The second time it happened, I was going about 25 MPH on my way to stop at a stoplight when it did it again, but did not die.

So a recap:
It has done it on smooth roads, bumpy roads, at stoplights, accelerating, decelerating, with cruise and without cruise, and just coasting. From 0-50 MPH.

The best way to describe it is its like i just took the key out of the ignition while driving. The car just turns off and starts right back up. This time all of the gagues fell and no lights lite up.

Its at our mechanic's garage right now. So if you got any hints or suggestions.

Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we got the van back... found nothing wrong. And it did it 3 minutes later as I wsa pulling into my parking space at home.

I now know that its the key.

So, I tried something. I started the car and watched what lights came on and when they went off in the on and start positions. And then turned the key off and took it out of the ignition. The immobolizer flashes 5 times once the key is removed. So it did exactly that when it stalls.

It is EXACTLY like taking the key out while driving, the immobolizer flashes 5 times, then its like the key was put back into the ignition and turned to the on position and I all have to do is put it in Neutral and start it. No need to remove the key from the ignition. So I guess I have to go to Honda. Not what I want to do since I despise the dealer near us. Does anyone know if Honda would cover the cost since their Recall part failed that was replaced in 2002?

·
Registered
252 Posts
few weeks back I had a couple of incidents where my 00 would not stay started, I woul turn it on the rpms would surge drop then die. At the time I suspected bad gas as I had run 2 tanks of ethanol but I found out yesterday my EGR is shot. Another possibilitiy is this, I had a CRX way back when and I could be cruzing at highway speed an boom it would die no warning or anything well as it turned out the battery ground had worked itself loose from the firewall and would short causing the car to die. Worth a look.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good suggestions. Our mechanic said that if it would die and not start, the solution is easy, but since it starts up right away it could be a short in a wire or the ignition switch.

I don't think its the EGR or the IAC Valve. Our mechanic said that they were fine.

Its not the battery ground... I sanded the paint off of where it grounds since there were huge fluctutation in voltages, but its fine now and I know I put the cable back on tight. And it was stalling before I did.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Hello again Kyle. You obviously have a dangerous situation with the stalling. Strongly suggest you find a reputable Honda dealer ASAP. Arm yourself with this post and cover all the bases. Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, it did it to me again, twice on my way home from shopping.

It happened right as I was going accelerate and pass some one going about 30 mph.

The second time it totally died, as I was coming to a stop on a steep hill at a stop sign. Luckily, I did not roll down the hill.

My mom and I are going to drop the van off at the Honda Dealer in the morning. I will post what they find out and what they did.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
New Dad New Van - I took your suggestion and here is what they said. I did arm with my posts and they had some concern about me stalling on the highway, being hit, and dying.

Well, the dealer called and said that they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle that could cause it to stall while driving, since it did not act up for them. They said that they would keep it until Monday to see if it is going to act up for them, I doubt it. There goes $100 dollars down the drain.

Oh, but they said that I should get the 105K maintenance preformed for a cost of $850 dollars, replace the rear and front right motor mounts (says they are broken) $400, and have the valves adjusted for $400. So they want to do about $2000 dollars worth of additional work. They also said Honda RECOMMENDS to have the timing belt replaced at 105K miles. However, my dad says it is in good shape and so does our independent mechanic. Moreover, the valves are fine and they do not clatter. However, they also do not know that my Dad and I replaced the spark plugs and air filter around 100K miles. And that we were going to get it done in 3 weeks when we had the money.

Nevertheless, they did show concern about us dying in a severe rear-end collision on the highway and will try to find what is causing our stalling problem before they give it back to us.

So I was wondering what are the signs of broken motor mounts???

And when are the valves supposed to be adjusted???

Thanks

Kyle

1 - 20 of 44 Posts