Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ody with 151,000 miles (NE vehicle). a few days ago I had to rap on the starter and solenoid to get it to turn over, sense then almost every time I have to do the same thing. (isn't this why I gave up my VW buses!)

I'm assuming my starter had gone bad, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes, if whacking the starter makes it start working, then its the problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is the starter on the Odyssey similar to the Toyota starter where you can replace the contact posts and basically repair the starter for about $20.00?

I did this on my Toyota Corolla and other than getting the starter out it was a 25 minute job.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
loose battery terminal

I bought a starter today $104. But didn't install it yet. I pulled the battery clamps and cleaned them up first. Pos. had a lot of white corrosion. I used the battery brush and some dielectric grease but when I went to tighten down the copper clamp it wouldn't fit snug.

Seems I need to buy a new clamp.

The van started better after cleaning the connections, but after about 6 starts, it started acting finick again.

So I'll change the terminal and see what happens. I'm going carry tools and the new starter in the van for awhile, just in case

Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Take a picture of the Starter if it's like the Toyota Nippondenso starters you should be able to repair the internal contact posts which is usually what fails.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Andy,

When my starter went out on my 2001 (at about 135K miles - can't remember exactly) it had somewhat different symptoms. But it was acting up and I knew I would have to deal with it sooner or later...

My thinking was that I would rebuild it "sometime soon". But then one night my son was left on the side of the road (in front of a friends house) and no coaxing would get that starter to engage.

I was able to get a rebuilt starter (from O'Reilly's - before they closed) and ended up changing the starter in a drizzling rain on the street - with my son holding a flashlight so I could see what I was doing.

Would have preferred to do it on my own terms.

I guess my thinking is that if you have that replacement part, and you feel certain your starter is going south (and you don't want to rebuild it), then maybe just "get 'er done". Of course, I have no basis to make such a statement since I didn't do that!

On a separate note, if your battery terminal/clamp still seems to have structural integrity, I wonder if you can just get a lead wrap/spacer to go on the battery terminal rather than replace that cable... (and cutting off the connector and using one of those "cheezy" replacement clamps is not a good idea - that will likely lead to trouble down the road).

Hope your car treats you right!

Mark

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spacer

Hey Mark, thanks for the feedback. I did windd up finding a spacer for the post and the van is not as finicky now. Once in awhile it takes three turns of the key to get it going. So I think my connections were some of the problem. I may try and rebuild the starter if I can make the time.

Andy

Andy

·
Registered
295 Posts
andysings,

Sounds like your starter issue could be the Bendix assembly / starter solenoid. What often happens is the shaft the Bendix assembly slides down and out on gets dry of grease and that in turn causes the starter solenoid to work extra hard. The impact of rapping the side of the starter will often free up the Bendix assembly and allow the starter to work for a short time. The starter solenoid / Bendix assembly is often replaceable for a reasonable cost. If this is your problem it is easy to see after you remove the starter from the engine. You could try pulling the starter, bench testing to see the Bendix / solenoid assembly operate and either replace it if that is the issue or I have even lubed the shaft / Bendix up and has success. Hope this is of some help, lots of luck, Russ.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
battery cable too

Thanks for the info Russ. I will finally pull the starter tomorrow and check it out.

I noticed my negative battery cable was very frayed where it makes contact with the engine block so I'm picking up a new one on order tomorrow ($30 from Honda)

Andy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, it was the starter

I replaced the starter and so far so good. I also replaced the negative battery cable because it had significant fraying where it meets the block down below.

Removing the battery tray to do the starter made it a breeze. Well worth the extra 20 minutes!

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2000 ody with 151,000 miles (NE vehicle). a few days ago I had to rap on the starter and solenoid to get it to turn over, sense then almost every time I have to do the same thing. (isn't this why I gave up my VW buses!)

I'm assuming my starter had gone bad, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks, Andy
reviving this thread.
How does one rap on the starter when it is below the battery, and hard to reach from below or above?

My wife has had intermittant non-starts beginning this past winter. I changed the battery and now changed the starter.
It started fine last night, but this morning was sluggish again. I can't see the battery terminals being an issue, and the starter was just changed so its connections should be fine.

Ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been awhile since I've had to rap the starter. I got rid of the 2000 and now have a 2005 exl. Anyway I think I used a long extension and a hammer at some points on the case (not solenoid) I think I did all this from above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts