Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, my 98 Ody went dead on me. I couldn't start the van. No click sound and jump start was not working at all. Have to tow it to shop. I'm still waiting for the mechanic to call me.

I'm guessing it's the bad starter. do you guys think it's the starter issue too? how much to replace one?
thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can you get it to start by tapping on the starter housing with a hammer? If so, you definitely need a new starter. This happened to me last year, when I had about 200K miles on my '98. I think I paid about $60 for a replacement. Installation was pretty easy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately that's not really a definitive test. You'll probably need to remove the starter and take it someplace to have it tested. Most DIY auto parts stores will do that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The ignition switch on the odys is a known fault check to see if your getting 12volts at the starter when you crank the ignition switch.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
My ignition switch failed once too, but it was actually the lock that failed -- the key wouldn't turn. It happened 100 miles from home. Man, was that an expensive trip: $150 for towing to the nearest town, $120 for a hotel, $550 to the mechanic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah it can be a nightmare the lock can be removed by chiseling off the shear bolts and removing the ignition switch off the back you can the start it with a screw driver in the ignition switch. Have done this to loads of cars to get them home when the keys have snapped or the lock is jammed. P.S. not a car thief I'm a breakdown patrol. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
My starter died a year ago (170K miles) while I was camping! We packed up and got in the van turned the key... nothing. It took 4hrs to get a tow, even with AAA.

I had the same symptoms and no tapping helped. "Dropped" in a new starter and it started right up. In reality, it probably was the solenoid (hence no click) that was dead, but they're one unit on the starter.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts