Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003, 172K. Original starter (I think).

Tried to start this morning. I get a click, but starter does not turn.

Gave the starter a couple of whacks and it starter perfectly. Restarted a number of times. It either works perfectly or just a click.

I assume brushes are shot.

I am selling the vehicle, so I am not interested in lifetime warranties. Should I just buy a reman or get the rebuild kit?

I watched a few videos on youtube. Seems like the just rebuild the solenoid. Is this the case? Is the rebuild kit much cheaper than a reman?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don’t be that guy. Just fix it right and sell it with confidence. That way you can BOTH be happy with the vehicle transaction when it’s all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a 17 year old, cosmetically challenged Odyssey. It has an additional issue or two. It will sell for not a whole lot more than the cost of a new denso.

When it works, it works flawlessly. No ugly noises. I think I may just open it up and have a look. Should be able to diagnose why it is not working. .

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Gave the starter a couple of whacks and it starter perfectly. Restarted a number of times. It either works perfectly or just a click.

Yeah, could be the brushes.

Could also be the contacts in the solenoid that feed high current to the starter. Normal wear and tear can make them not pass the current anymore.

I haven't opened up an Ody starter, but have done so on others. Those had fairly simple construction that were easy to fix, as long as you can source any needed internal parts.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
I'd try some caps (called shims) on the battery terminals. Make sure the connections are good down at the starter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
2003, 172K. Original starter (I think).

Tried to start this morning. I get a click, but starter does not turn.

I am selling the vehicle, so I am not interested in lifetime warranties. Should I just buy a reman or get the rebuild kit?

I watched a few videos on youtube. Seems like the just rebuild the solenoid. Is this the case? Is the rebuild kit much cheaper than a reman?
I see I’m late to the party. Denso starters are simple to rebuild if you can replace one. It’s usually the solenoid that’s bad. All the ones I’ve ever rebuilt the solenoid was bad giving the same symptoms as yours but you might as well replace the brushes while you are in there. Rebuilds I have done are still going strong after 100k miles on the Ody and 50k on a few accords with no issues. If you have a starter/alternator rebuild shop they usually have pretty decent parts or you can get them from the dealer. They usually have to order them and will try to sell you a new one but hit them with the part numbers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled it yesterday and yup, it's the solenoid. If I put 12V to the actual motor, it spins perfectly, But the solenoid does nothing other than get warm!

One other thing to note, how to remove.

I watched a few youtube videos that said pull the battery tray first.

3 bolts came out no problem, but after trying to find the last one underneath for a while, I decided to go back in and watch the video again.

This time I watched a different video. This guy said he felt tray removal was unnecessary. He did say that getting the bottom 17mm bolt was a PITA, but it was doable. After he got it out, he added that if he was to do it again, he'd pop the motor off the starter assy in place. 2 easy to reach 8mm bolts and the power lead. Doing this makes the lower bolt easy to reach.

So I decided to give it a try and he was right. It was very easy. I will reassemble the same way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts