Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Starter slow, battery light - help!

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tybeeware 
#1 ·
Okay, here is what's happening. 2005 Odyssey with a battery 2 years old. Two weeks ago went to start it and it only clicked at the starter. Later in the day, started up without doing a thing. Since then it has started but the starter starts out a tad slow and then it starts. Yesterday I stopped somewhere on the way home from work and then it would not start. It turned over once here and there and then died. Wife came with jumper cables and started immediately. Put the battery on the charger over night and started this morning. Now at lunch the battery indicator light comes on the dash. I got back to work, then tried to crank it and it did but slow. So not sure if it will crank to make it home.

My question - does the battery indicator light ONLY come on if the alternator is not charging? Or if the battery is just about dead and won't take a charge, will it come on for that? I have another battery I am charging at home that I know is good and will try replacing it tonight. But if anyone can give me an idea of what they think, that would be appreciated.

Since the engine turned over fast when it was jumped, I'm wondering if it is just the battery? But this indicator light is throwing me off now.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You more thsn likely have an alternator that is not charging and possibly a bad battery. It can't be isolated over the internet. Take it to someone who knows how to check it out. I will guarantee that if you replace the battery it will be the alternator and if you replace the alternator it will be the battery:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.