Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so i replaced my wifes transmission on a 2004 honda odyssey. Everything went smooth until the end. So i hooked everything back up where its supposed to go the ground strap and all even starter. I put positive cable on then went to hook up the negative side and it sparked and the main wire that hooks onto starter started smoking. so i decided to try again and see if i can tell so i went to put negative on and when i did the cable practically melted to post and the starter smoked again. What is going on. I replaced the transmission and a starter came with it so i figured i would just leave it our old one was great could it be a faulty starter? need to fix asap thank you

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Verify all your connections. With the starter disconnected, you can also check for continuity across the solenoid terminals. There should be no continuity between them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will for sure do that first thing in the morning i did take ground back off and clean

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Also, make sure you put the positive battery cable on the correct starter solenoid terminal. The cable should go on the terminal closest to the starter motor itself. One terminal has a short cable going from the solenoid to the starter motor. The other terminal is empty and is where the battery cable goes. If you accidentally put the cable on the terminal with the short wire to the starter motor, the starter would run as soon as you put the battery cables on the battery. If the starter was bad it wouldn't turn, and would likely smoke and possibly burn the wires. Disconnect the battery cable from the starter, insulate it with a rag or some tape, and then reconnect the battery and see if the short is gone. That will tell you if your issue is at the starter, as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds like its a used transmission that you put in there. If the wiring smoked like you said, I would pull out that starter and put your old starter there. Double check your wiring connection before connecting the battery. + post is on left of battery and - post on right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i replaced the starter with my old original starter and its fine now. Now my problem is i cant move the gear shifter. when i turn key to on position it says drive and alot of lights are on. if i go underneath and turn the shifter manually it turns but still nothing what would cause this

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Your shift cable needs adjusting.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Did that transmission came with a neutral safety switch?If yes maybe you need to remove that and put your old one in Ike the starter. When I replaced my transmission a year and a half ago with a reman, I never adjusted the shifter cable. You should be in neutral at start up. I put it in park and it gave a loud sound when I first started it. But it was fine since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts