Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked back thru all the problem topics and found only one related post from fljoe, on 03/26/01 tagged "Anyone experiencing slight starter malfunction",and this was on a 2000 EX.We have a 2002 EX-L that has not wanted to start on the 1st key turn,on 3 seperate occasions.You turn the key and the engine will not fire-up,it just makes a strange(hard to explain in words)sound.Then you can try again right away and it will start on the 2nd or 3rd try no problem.Anybody else witness this before?????
fljoe are you reading this, did you have this problem fixed,please respond ANYBODY!!!!

------------------
Milli

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had the same problem 2 or 3 times on my 2002 EX ,and I attributed it not letting the engine turn over long enough. I hadn't noticed any difference in the noise of the engine while attemptig to start. Please post if this problem continues or you find the fix.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the problem you're experiencing, but Honda warns in the owner's manual that having a lot of metal objects on your key ring with your ignition key may occasionally make the engine fail to start. The proximity of any mass of metal to the chip in the key while the ignition system is trying to "read" the chip can be the culprit.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I won't give up my P-38! Been on my keychain for a good 16 years now..

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hmmmm...I'm from Texas; we carried our weapons on a rack behind us. I can definitely see the advantages in carrying it on a key ring in front of you, however.

·
Registered
585 Posts
GI Issue

You wouldn't believe how often in the last 16 years I've needed to open a can and...I could!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was wondering how many people would be old enough to know what Chuck meant, and then was blown away by what the P-38 actually was! I have seen these can openers before, but never knew it was a P-38......

Just wanted to mention that the service manager does a little test to see how heavy the keys are; if he can't hold the ignition key between thumb and forefinger he says it is too much weight on the tumblers in the ignition and will cause problems. This isn't what the thread was about, but I thought it interesting. My wife carries lots of keys and they weigh a ton!!

John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Make sure you take it off your keychain when you fly, you'll get ALOT of grief on that one! I travel alot for business and usually bring my swiss army EVERYWHERE I go. Now, I have to leave it behind...

I feel so "naked" without it...

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
564 Posts
You can do what I do:

Have a kid, then put everything you "always" need in the diaper bag. You don't go ANYWHERE without the diaper bag, so you're set. At the last party we went do, I was the hero, since my diaper bag contains a (beer) bottle opener, and nobody else had one!

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
The proximity of any mass of metal to the chip in the key while the ignition system is trying to "read" the chip can be the culprit.

</font>
But back on topic...what Chuck says makes a lot of sense, and it would be easy to test. Just use the ignition key by itself for a while and see if the problem ever comes back. The only difference in soud, though, should be that the engine just keep turning over without catching.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
596 Posts
I solved the problem by using one of those "take apart" key chains. I put the Honda key on one of the rings so I have only that key hanging from the ignition switch.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
LOL on the beer opener comment! I actually keep expensive camera gear (digital still and digital video) in our diaper bag... not a very attractive target for would be theives..

I use the take apart key chains too, to reduce my key load... Buy extras, and put car keys with remotes on one "side" of the chain while keeping your house keys and essentials (I have a mini LED flashlight & screwdriver tool) on the other "side". That way you keep your essentials with you all the time, and can switch car keys when you need to (rarely need to carry more than one set of car keys at a time, right?).

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
40 Posts
Regarding the starting problem

have you guys look into the gasoline you are using, make sure it doesn't contain high Ethomal,
i used to have this problem on my Honda cars, i stop using it, this happened especailly in the warming wheather temperature

Hung

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a friend who had a similar problem develop in his 93 Civic recently. This was AFTER he had the fuel pump replaced. The original died and left him stranded. Dont know if the new fuel pump was a Honda or an aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hungt:
Regarding the starting problem have you guys look into the gasoline you are using, make sure it doesn't contain high Ethomal, i used to have this problem on my Honda cars, </font>
We don't have much choice about the amount of Ethanol in gas here in the Chicago area. All the pumps I can find here say that the gas may contain up to 10%(?) ethanol. Is there a way around this?

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ '01 White Laces

·
Registered
19 Posts
The same starting problem just happened yesterday to my wife on our 2002 Ex. The van didn't start the first turn of the key (she probably didn't turn it over long enough), the second and third tries took about 30 seconds of cranking before it would start. She did not touch the accelerator and the fuel is 89 octane without methanol.
I have seen earlier post regarding a bad EGR valve. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just read this post - and coincidentally two hours ago I dropped my 02 EX off at the dealer because I've had an intermittent starting problem. The last time it happened it acted like a carbureted engine that was "flooded". The engine cranked for several seconds and finally fired just a couple of cylinders at a time. It ran rough for a while then smoothed out. I hope my dealer can find the cause, if they do I'll post the fix here. I'm using 87 octane pure unleaded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just a thought: When the starting problems occur, has the engine been running and is still warm? What about the outside temp?

It could be a vapor lock issue. I know Acura had intermittent vapor lock issues on the 3.2 TL in 2000. With the changes made to the engine for '02, a bug like this isn't completely unlikely.

Greg

·
Registered
68 Posts
My wife just had this happen to her today as well on our '02. She had driven for about 20 minutes and it had then sat for about 4 hours.

It was almost like the engine was not getting gas.

Sound like Honda may have a problem on the '02's.

Greg

[This message has been edited by Razorback (edited 10-16-2001).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts