Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Oddessey which had a front end accident and has not run in about a year and a half... what do I need to do to make sure it runs smoothly again? Plugs, oil (engine/tranny), should I clean the gas tank & fuel lines? if so, How? Any other things that I should do? Also, Can someone post fluid capacities?

TIA,
ML

·
Registered
53 Posts
First off, make sure you got a good, fresh battery. Gas may be old and funky, if you can fill it up with 5 gallons or so (from a can) of fresh gas, maybe put some fuel additive that helps with water in the gas.

Might be worth doing an oil change prior to starting as well.

Not sure how to do it on the Oddy, but on an RX-7 I like to pull the engine fuse and crank the engine over without starting it for about 10-15 seconds to get the oil circulating. Starting an engine dry can be hard on bearings, and the oil film has likely drained down/broke down from sitting. I would think there's a fuse for the ECU to keep it from getting power, that would do the job.

After you're running again, the brakes will likely be rusty and noisy for a bit until you drive it some and wear off the rust and crud.

Dale

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
Bad fuel would be my greatest concern. Generally it's at its peak for only 30 days, but it will work longer than that.

I would siphon as much fuel from the tank as possible. (Unfortunately there is no drain plug.) Add some fuel additive. Then add as much fuel as you can carry. More fresh fuel will dilute the old fuel.

Cranking the engine to get the oil flowing is a good idea, but the downside is that fuel will wash down the cylinder walls, possibly causing damage during cranking. If you are handy, remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders first. (The engine will crank much easier and faster with no spark plugs, and also the oil will protect the cylinders.) Then crank the engine for 20 seconds.

Re-install the spark plugs (with new ones?) and try to start her up. There will still be old fuel in the fuel rail so she may not start. In that case, you would have to clean out the fuel system past the fuel pressure regulator.

I would wait until after she is running to change the oil (or even better change it both now and after she is running). It may accumulate a lot of fuel, depending on the amount of cranking until she starts.

I would also add a good fuel system cleaner after she is running to clean any gum from the fuel injectors caused by the old fuel.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,032 Posts
Not sure how to do it on the Oddy, but on an RX-7 I like to pull the engine fuse and crank the engine over without starting it for about 10-15 seconds to get the oil circulating. Starting an engine dry can be hard on bearings, and the oil film has likely drained down/broke down from sitting. I would think there's a fuse for the ECU to keep it from getting power, that would do the job....
If you look up from the floor under the dash, slightly to the left of the steering column, you'll see a rectangular relay, about 1.5" x .8", with 7 blade contacts, plugged into a socket. If you remove it, it will kill power to both the ignition and the fuel injectors (and maybe the fuel pump too, not sure on that one), which I think is just what you want.

Other than doing that to get oil circulated, and making sure it's got enough fluids, I would not worry too much. But I know many are more cautious than that. Lots of good advice from other responders here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it's been sitting for that long DO NOT JUST TURN THE KEY! rotate the engine by hand a few times or you will risk breaking the rings. pull the plugs first it will spin over easier. would be a good time to spend $12 on fresh ones. If you just want it running I wouldnt worry to much about bad gas or a junk battery. that stuff is expected. it will start fine with jumper cables and it will run on bad gas (it will run like **** but it will run). of course later you should drain the tank and use fresh gas. put in a fresh battery. clean the tb. fresh antifreeze. oil change etc etc etc. I might go so far as to pour a qt of atf in the engine oil and let it idle 20-30 min's before the oil is changed to remove any sludgy trash from the ports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts