Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take my car to the dealer with sound quality problems with my infotainment. I took it to the dealer and they were able to see that the scratchy sound was heard on all settings, meaning Radio and XM. It also happened with while listening to music from the connected iPhone. The dealer is trying to tell me that this appear to be reception problems or on specific stations. I told them that it was happening with the XM Radio, the iPhone and the regular radio. It was more like an issue with the hardware, meaning the radio. I told them that I wasn't accepting their observation and to look into further specially since it does the same thing with the iPhone connected. Does anyone has had sound quality issues and, if so, how were they resolved. I am not taking a can duplicate BS since they heard the unit doing it. Good thing I bought the extended warranty 'cause I am getting ready to contact Honda Corp. to find out what else, if anything, can be done.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
If the scratchy sound quality is coming from all speakers, they should replace the head unit. If only from one or some speakers, it could be the head unit or it could be the speaker wiring.

Take it to another dealer, who will hopefully be more motivated to fix it.

Too bad scratchy infotainment system sound doesn't throw a PCM code. Some modern techs need a code to start their brains working. :um:

Dave

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the scratchy sound quality is coming from all speakers, they should replace the head unit. If only from one or some speakers, it could be the head unit or it could be the speaker wiring.

Take it to another dealer, who will hopefully be more motivated to fix it.

Too bad scratchy infotainment system sound doesn't throw a PCM code. Some modern techs need a code to start their brains working. :um:

Dave
The sound is coming from all speakers and, i suspect is the Infotainment Control Assembly going bad, that's $1200.00 part. The van has been at the dealer since Wednesday without an ETA as to when is going to be ready. The dealer called Honda Tech and gave them some troubleshooting steps but, still no luck. The funny thing is that the night before it did it the, in the AM it was working fine but, when I left work, it was back to the scratchy and static sound. This is happening while using the XM, the AM, the FM and the iPhone and also the telephone either blue tooth and iPhone using SIRI. What a pain in the rear end this is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have scratchy sound so, I am assuming that's the same kind of noise you are experiencing. According to the dealer, the people from Honda gave them a list of things to check which they did and came back empty handed. They are suppose to be contacting Honda again to find out what else they need to do. Was told that I may have to take the car with the problem unfixed. Not an acceptable answer to me but, according to the dealer, they are at the mercy of Honda Corp and whatever they want to do. I think that they should replace the Infotainment control assembly or basically the brain of the radio. The dealer will not do it unless Honda Corp authorizes the repair since the part costs over $1200 USD. I am annoyed by the problem the car is experiencing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue on our 18 odyssey. Distorted or scratchy sound from all speakers no matter the audio source. When this happens I have found that going into the sound settings and pressing Reset in upper right corner of the sound settings screen makes the audio normal again. Since it is intermittent the dealer is saying hard to troubleshoot or trying to blame having treble or base to high and says reset is why that fixes it. But we don’t come close to ever maxing out the eq settings. It has only happened a handful of times over 6 months of ownership. But annoying when it does happen and concern is this a bigger issue that will get worse? For anyone saying they have distorted audio as well, does it clean up when you “reset” the sound settings?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Odyssey for right at 1 year. I just began to notice the same “scratchy” noise through my speakers. I can hear the sound when listening to anything through the speakers. Initially I thought that it was a noise coming from the DVD that was playing however it continued while listening to radio and bluetooth. I am calling the dealership tomorrow. It seems as though it is a problem with this particular 18 model and not just a few isolated incidents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have owned my 2018 for three weeks and it has already been in the shop three times for infotainment system issues. From the day it was new, it would just blurt static and cracking sounds out of the front passenger side speaker. They replaced the tuner/amplifier and now the same problem happens but mostly out of the driver's side speakers instead (occasionally will flip back over to passenger side). Honda has no solution and now wants to just begin tearing the interior apart and ripping out wiring harnesses at random.

In addition to this, I have about a dozen other electrical problems. Half the time my driver's front door won't unlock and I have to crawl in through another door, but occasionally the other doors will not unlock either. And remote start doesn't work.

Three weeks and 200 miles in and I am already fighting with Honda to do the right thing and replace my van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was there any resolution? I know this is an old thread, but just got a 2019 EX-L and having the same issue. After doing a reset it resolves like 95% of the static, but randomly will hear the static. I didn't catch that during the test drive. Right after I sign the papers, heard the sound. Man...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have static intermittently when only HD radio kicks on.

The cause: connecting an iphone via bluetooth!

I have had every single component possible replaced, including head unit and anntenna, and the problem continues. The static goes away when HD radio is turned off (using analog radio only) or completely unpairing/deleting your iphone profile via bluetooth and restarting the radio.

I have told my dealer that disconnecting my phone from bluetooth is not an option, and it really sucks that I can't use the premium feature of HD radio (which I paid extra for) properly in the vehicle. They blame apple. I believe I drive one of the more popular models and use one of the most popular phones, so it should just WORK.

Still no resolution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have same problem with my Odyssey. White noise is heard when HD kicks in. Anyone resolved this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a new Ex model and just drove less than 100 miles. When my wife drives, she wants to listen to KUSC classical music station. That’s the big reason we got a new car as our 14 year old Ody radio stops working. She found static or scratching sound and I didn’t believe it is the car problem. The she turns on analog from auto HD, static sounds stop. We are trying to get a solution from the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts