Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of 2011 Odyssey owners are experience the same “Low battery” light indication on the dashboard. Honda refuses to acknowledge a defect in the design, so I caution any prospective buyers to research this issue fully before purchasing the 2011 Odyssey. The 2011 Odyssey has many defects as noted from buyers. I, again, stand firmly against buying first year production. As with any other electronics, first year production comes with many defects which usually works out in the next year’s model which means that your stuck with it until you take a loss and sell or trade it which I advise against it for many reasons which I cannot cover in this article.

According to the manufacturer, the low battery is not a defect. You need to drive it more often to keep the battery from running low. Once the battery runs low, many have stated that it will not start. Though, many owners are upset regarding this issue, there’s no recalls or work around in sight for the owners of the Odyssey and there may never be on in sight for a while, because of the earthquakes in Japan parts are not readily available. Many that have complained to dealers, manufacturer yet the problem remains and it will remain for a long time.

If you don’t drive the odyssey often, it will weaken the batter further and will not start the van. This not only happens when parked at home but also at malls or anywhere it is not used for even a couple of hours. It will leave you stranded in your tracks. You will need to have the battery properly charged. Simply jumping the batter is not advised because of the electronics built into the van may receive a higher voltage by ganging two batteries together even for a short time. You might blow the computer or worse it’s electronics and void it’s warranty. Any modification made to the vehicle will also void all warranty, basic or extended. Adding new gadgets not installed by the dealer will not be covered in the warranty. If you decide to install remote start by third party then that voids the warranty for any future electrical defects.

Other very common problems noted by buyers of the 2011 odyssey is Remote doors not working or making noise. This issue seem to come after a quite a bit of opening and closing of the two side sliding doors. Excessive Wind noise is also another common problem amount the 2011 odyssey owners. I am sure that as we go further into the year, many more problems will arise because of the current stage in Japan, it may takes years before the problems are acknowledged or solved.

Engine runs hot, moon roof sticking due to excess heat built up in the van and/or from the weather, and the list goes on and on. Again, This is the number one reason I advise against purchasing first year models of any vehicles or electronics. For those of you who have the 2011 odyssey, stick in there for you have a long journey ahead if the battery doesn’t run of on you. For those looking for at purchasing the 2011 odyssey, don’t! At least not until they Honda comes out with a fix for its many problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you serious? so far I have yet to hear of anyone getting stranded from dead battery, I thought it was just an over sensitive system. when you jump start a car, the batteries are in parallel so I don't think the voltage would go up.

"Engine runs hot, moon roof sticking due to excess heat built up in the van and/or from the weather" - never heard of this problem

·
Registered
118 Posts
OP, it really looks like you do not know what you are talking about but just have an axe to grind.

My van works great and everyone that rides along is impressed. No problems at all to report. I could not be happier.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Wow. All this for a burnt Foglight bulb? Amazing.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Disagree. Fully.

Despite these little nuances, still an outstanding vehicle. Would definitely buy it all over again if given the chance.

India72, apparently you didn't do your research. The low battery warning has not resulted from anyone actually having a weak battery. Everyone that has taken their vehicle in for the low battery warning and had their battery tested has found that they're all well within specs. The issue is with the BMS (battery monitoring system) software. Honda is aware of the problem and is apparently working on a fix. Now, you can complain on the time it's taking for them to write new code for the software. Complaining about that is totally acceptable, as this fix taking this long to come out, isnt...

To reiterate, not a single battery failure has occured. The tolerances on the BMS are simply too far off from where they need to be.

However, anyone wanting to sell their vehicle because of this problem, please do! There are many folks out there that really want to get into the '11 Ody, but can't afford a brand new one. They'll be more than happy to find "used" '11s on the market.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh, and one last thing. The BMS software issue, calling it a "defect" is like calling a sprained ankle a broken leg. It's merely a programming issue. And complaining to a dealership is useless. And so is blaming a dealer because they can't fix it. This is a software thing and the fix must come from Honda engineers, not dealership mechanics... Complain to Honda Corporate. And be grown up about it. Telling the agent that this problem is the reason you'll never buy a Honda again, yadda yadda yadda, does nothing for you. Give them your complaint, let them log it, collect a tracking number, and move on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh? I didn't know I bought a lemon. Honestly, the quality build of my odyssey is spot on, haven't had any of the problems people are posting about

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is some sort of troll.

I suspect this person doesn't even own the van. They are just taking some known issues and mixing it in with a lot of inaccurate or false statements along with some laughable forward looking statements. No mention of how these "issues" are affecting them personally. And, as noted, it goes from how to change a light bulb to this. Really!?

LOL!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Busted foglight bulb + inability to replace = rage & frustation.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing. Does india72 even own a 2011 Honda Odyssey?!?!?

:rollingeyes:
Yea, I've reread it a few times, it's more of a lecture than a complaint. The naysayers and Google page guy will rally around it, but most will see through it.:bs: On a positive note, I finally get to use the flag.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Blame everything on yourself. Obviously you've picked the wrong car on the lot, which has a lot of problems or something. And every cars have problems. Just because you have a POS ody, that doesn't mean all the Odysseys are like yours. Use your warranty to solve the problems. I know it's really upsetting, but hey. You've actually paid for the warranty as part of the car. So might as well, use it while you have it. Right?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Troll: someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Troll: someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Exactly.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts