Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 EX-L has never been never a daily driver. Bought it mostly for trips with the family with occasional forays into town, and its 120,000 miles have been relatively problem free. It's a great car in many respects and I do marvel at the value received. But the day I bought it and learned about the ECO mode/variable cylinder feature I went uh oh. That never sounded like a good idea to me--more like an accident waiting to happen and I am just a simple consumer. However, I am at a point where I need to do some maintenance--want to replace the timing belt and the serpentine belt. Have never replaced spark plugs. Car is running OK with oil changes every 3500 miles and a few big services with the transmission, etc. Body and interior are pristine. We take good care of our vehicles, service them appropriately, and prefer to drive them until the wheels come off. However, I just keep wondering if now is the time to sell the car. But not sure the newer models are any better from a longevity standpoint as all seem to have the VCM feature. The car is burning a quart of oil in between oil changes. My husband says this started about 5,000 miles ago (seemed not to think this was excessive). I do have a vibration between 50 and 60 ish miles an hour, only on acceleration, more of a shudder, that may speak to something with the drive train that I am trying to scope out. So that could be a biggish repair, too. Definitely not the tires. We rotate/balance regularly, buy decent tires, maintain brakes. Aside from this, the car drives great for the most part. My biggest dislikes have been the ECO mode/VCM and what has always felt like excessive road noise in the cabin. Other than that this is a great people and pooch mover and I have not regretted the purchase.

So I am trying to decide whether I should sink a few grand into the big services, possibly have to replace something relative the the shudder, and keep on driving--or trade what I have in on a new(er) version. If we do keep the car am going to redo the entertainment system so I can get bluetooth and some other things. So that would add to the bill. Otherwise tires are practically new, everything else seems as it should be.

Is a quart of oil every 3500 miles a sign of anything worrisome? Is it too late to install a VCM muzzler like I have read about on the forum? I know its all speculative. I could keep the car and nothing might happen for another 100K miles or it could blow up tomorrow, but I was always under the impression that Honda engines ran a long time, and without a speck of rust and an interior that seems to have a better build quality than what I see on new cars, am thinking that the investment may be worth it. But then there is the specter of that darned cylinder system and so I go back and forth. Gotta decide one way or the other because I don't want to put off these services.

Many thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Definitely keep it! Never too late to disable VCM. Disable it ASAP.
Keep the regular maintainence up, change the ATF often and you have a solid van.
Vibration during acceleration at speed may be the driveshafts, not a big repair at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely keep it! Never too late to disable VCM. Disable it ASAP.
Keep the regular maintainence up, change the ATF often and you have a solid van.
Vibration during acceleration at speed may be the driveshafts, not a big repair at all.
How often would you recommend that I change the ATF?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No more than 25k miles
OK. Definitely need to up our game, then... I see two versions of the muzzler. One has a way to adjust the impedance (not sure I am putting that right) and looks pretty user friendly. Any opinions on which muzzler? What a great indea! I can't wait to install one!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the replies. We did have a couple of twenty year old cars need some repairs this past month and so I was starting to worry about reliability. But the Honda is a keeper I think. In fact, now that I have broken it in maybe time for some upgrades ha.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Keep it if you want it, but remember, it won't last forever. If you want advanced safety features, and can afford a newer van, buy something newer.

Also, next time you post, break up your long paragraphs, as it makes it easier to read and follow.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do your timing belt and other maintenance and install a vcm muzzler. Your van is young with many more good miles ahead.
Make sure you get a genuine OEM timing belt/water pump kit fitted, if you have an independent mechanic specify this.

DO NOT allow any generic type timing belt/water pump kit to be fitted, they don't last and often break prematurely, destroying the engine.

Majestic Honda, Bernadi Honda, or Rock Auto online are probably the cheapest sources for the genuine thing.

Might be time to replace your cabin air filter (behind the glove-box), a lot of people overlook this and it makes the ac run a little easier, if it's blocked up some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep it if you want it, but remember, it won't last forever. If you want advanced safety features, and can afford a newer van, buy something newer.

Also, next time you post, break up your long paragraphs, as it makes it easier to read and follow.
If I had to replace this van tomorrow I probably would not buy the latest generation Honda irrespective of pocket book. The VCM thing drives me nuts. I got a new Mazda CX5 this year and just love the way it drives, but IMHO the accident avoidance stuff/ advanced safety features have a ways to go.They haven't quite lived up to expectation and are in some instances counterproductive. Maybe Honda has a better implementation, but that alone would not propel me into a new Odyssey. A different engine might :) But your point is well taken. I should check out the latest models more closely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 EX-L has never been never a daily driver. Bought it mostly for trips with the family with occasional forays into town, and its 120,000 miles have been relatively problem free. It's a great car in many respects and I do marvel at the value received. But the day I bought it and learned about the ECO mode/variable cylinder feature I went uh oh. That never sounded like a good idea to me--more like an accident waiting to happen and I am just a simple consumer. However, I am at a point where I need to do some maintenance--want to replace the timing belt and the serpentine belt. Have never replaced spark plugs. Car is running OK with oil changes every 3500 miles and a few big services with the transmission, etc. Body and interior are pristine. We take good care of our vehicles, service them appropriately, and prefer to drive them until the wheels come off. However, I just keep wondering if now is the time to sell the car. But not sure the newer models are any better from a longevity standpoint as all seem to have the VCM feature. The car is burning a quart of oil in between oil changes. My husband says this started about 5,000 miles ago (seemed not to think this was excessive). I do have a vibration between 50 and 60 ish miles an hour, only on acceleration, more of a shudder, that may speak to something with the drive train that I am trying to scope out. So that could be a biggish repair, too. Definitely not the tires. We rotate/balance regularly, buy decent tires, maintain brakes. Aside from this, the car drives great for the most part. My biggest dislikes have been the ECO mode/VCM and what has always felt like excessive road noise in the cabin. Other than that this is a great people and pooch mover and I have not regretted the purchase.

So I am trying to decide whether I should sink a few grand into the big services, possibly have to replace something relative the the shudder, and keep on driving--or trade what I have in on a new(er) version. If we do keep the car am going to redo the entertainment system so I can get bluetooth and some other things. So that would add to the bill. Otherwise tires are practically new, everything else seems as it should be.

Is a quart of oil every 3500 miles a sign of anything worrisome? Is it too late to install a VCM muzzler like I have read about on the forum? I know its all speculative. I could keep the car and nothing might happen for another 100K miles or it could blow up tomorrow, but I was always under the impression that Honda engines ran a long time, and without a speck of rust and an interior that seems to have a better build quality than what I see on new cars, am thinking that the investment may be worth it. But then there is the specter of that darned cylinder system and so I go back and forth. Gotta decide one way or the other because I don't want to put off these services.

Many thanks for any input.
I sold my 2007 EXL with 215,000 miles on it. I had few problems with it. I now have a a 2015 EXL with 140,000. You should get plenty more miles out of your 2007 with regular maintenance

·
Registered
46 Posts
I definitely recommend staying AWAY from the 2018+ Ody. Honda appears to be abandoning its reputation for reliability. The timing service and VCM are highly recommended. It may or may not fix the oil consumption issue (check for leaks too). My '01 Ody would leak at the valve cover and oil pan after 13 years. Honda (and every other car company) has been using gaskets for quite some time that wear out with time more than use. If you like it and value the interest you don't pay from a new purchase, then keep it until the wheels fall off. Buy the Aisin kits.

I added the VCMuzzlerII to my '16 Ody shortly after purchase. I've been having problems keeping the right resistor and not tripping the under temp code. If I bought it again I would buy the variable resistor (easy install/adjustment) or the one that can be bypassed with a switch (easy to disconnect from drivers seat, slightly more accurate readout).

On a side note I find it much disturbing that we (the consumer) must buy and install microcontrollers (miniature computer with switches) to deactivate the "modern" efficiency disasters that damage vehicles at the consumers expense (VCM/ aoutoSS, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a VCM Muzzler Version 2 for about 2 months on my 2015 Odyssey Touring. It is an easy install and does not require any adjustments based on outside temperature. I would highly recommend it over the original model Muzzler.. Look it up on line and talk to the seller (Verbatim?) if it will make a difference in the oil burning.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You are definitely past due on the spark plugs and timing belt. I would take care of it or get rid of it soon depending on your decision - if the timing belt breaks the engine will be trashed.

I disabled VCM using VCMTUNER II around 130K miles, which was 10 months and 12K miles ago. I like the way it drives and the install and forget aspect of it. Here is a thread I started which may be helpful:

One thing that people have noted in VCM threads is that oil consumption was high for some before disabling VCM and afterward was not an issue.

I'd also check for leaks. I had a leak by the oil pump a few months back which was pretty involved to fix - the mechanic said they would have recommended changing the timing belt if I was closer to needing the next one.

Does your EX-L have the entertainment system? If so, you can get an inexpensive Bluetooth adapter and wire it back to the Audio input in the compartment next to the third row seat on the driver's side. I paid $10 for one from TaoTronics on Amazon, and had the necessary cables to extend it back to the third row, and it works great. I can stream from my phone and place calls when the AUX position is selected on the sound system. If I'm playing the radio, CD, or DVD, I have a separate visor mount Bluetooth speaker phone to use for calls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That 'vibration between 50-60mph "might" be front end struts/tie rods and/or a broken motor mount...they tend to crack over the years...

Change the timing belt/water pump with genuine Honda parts! you won't have this van by the time it needs to be replaced [email protected],000miles, you "should" easily get another 100,000, driven like a "regular" person, it'll last..

Change that auto tranny fluid 25-30,000 miles will increase your chances of no auto trans worries, BUT..I replaced my 2001 Ody EX at 150,000[I didn't have to pay for it, but "IF" I did, we'd have junked in asap!]...rebuilt auto trans cost BIG dollars and the van is only worth maybe $3-5,000 if you're lucky!

Also, new plugs might be needed, but "IF" they're those fancy platinum or iridium plugs, they'll last you til you quit driving it..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like the others have said, if you plan to keep it, get the timing belt/water pump/spark plugs/Serpentine Belt changed soon. Be prepared to have the Spark Plug gaskets replaced as well as these are probably leaking at this point. My 2007 LX is about to hit 125K and I replaced all of these items at 100K. You will eventually need Suspension parts replaced too (Front Struts/Tie Rod Ends/Ball Joints/Rear Shocks/etc). The other big items that I had to get replaced was the AC Compressor, Fuel Pump (self-installed) and the Motor Mounts...but I still have my original front CV axles. I installed a VCM Tuner ~2 years ago. I tend to put on 10K per year and will re-evaluate as it approaches 200K if nothing catastrophic happens first. Good luck...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts