Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a cheap alternative to the $1000+ entertainment systems that are pushed by Good Guys etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of buying a 9" TV/VCR AC/DC combo and a travel bag that Steel Horse makes that allows you to strap it between two seats. Failing that, getting one of Steel Horse's LCD TV/VCR combos in a bag, or an Audiovox similar setup.

Has anybody had any experience with these and what do they think of them? We only take long (> 3 hours) journeys 3 or 4 times a year so I don't think its worthwhile getting an integrated system...


------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
I'm looking for a cheap alternative to the $1000+ entertainment systems that are pushed by Good Guys etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of buying a 9" TV/VCR AC/DC combo and a travel bag that Steel Horse makes that allows you to strap it between two seats. Failing that, getting one of Steel Horse's LCD TV/VCR combos in a bag, or an Audiovox similar setup.

Has anybody had any experience with these and what do they think of them? We only take long (> 3 hours) journeys 3 or 4 times a year so I don't think its worthwhile getting an integrated system...


</font>
It sounds like your looking for the same thing as we are. To stay under $300 all the typical "TV/VCR in a bag" that straps to the front seats have a puny 4" screen. You can get larger screens, but the cost goes way up.
I'm like the idea od a 9" or 13" TV/VCR combo
that you can pick-up at most stores for around $180. This way, the TV/VCR can be used about 80% of the time in our basement for the kids, and the other 20% in the Ody for long road trips. I'm still looking for a way to securely strap down one of these units before I get one though.

------------------
Grant
'02 SS Ody Ex
'92 Prelude Si
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
That litle flip up 4-inch screen on the audiovox video-in-a bag is way too small. The 5.6 inch on the steel horse (actually its "Video Traveler" brand) is fine. The ten inch version is stupendous, but so is the 11 hundred dollars. I prefer it to installed video because I can use it in a tent or hotel room or the kids room at home.
Here are sources:

http://www.autoaccessory.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/AutoAccessorycom/go.d2w/report?siteID=IxbwR/4mHgA-QPaLanU1wbopnx/VF2p1GA&sku=


http://www.videoonthego.com/index.html
the above (video on the go) has best selection and price.



------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
One other alternative would be to use your laptop as a DVD player and set it on the tray between the front seats. Very portable and picture quality would be excellent.

2002 RRP EX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Going with the laptop idea - what would I need to do to add an FM modulator to the PC so that I may hear the sound through the van's stereo??

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
to play sound through stereo use cassete adapter. If you have cassete player. I would strongly suggest buying a portable dvd player. for 500 they work great.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top