Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. The shop I go to is a good shop with good techs. Every time I have my front end aligned, the steering wheel is about 1/4" to 3/8" off center. drives straight as an arrow (with steering wheel off center). When I let go of steering wheel (when off center) rides straight as an arrow. when I put steering wheel "dead center", my van (of course) veers to the right.

When a brake and let go of steering wheel, brakes straight as an arrow.

The alignment page (printed) shows alignment is well within specs.

Just annoying (as hell) to have the steering wheel off center.

input.....

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I had this happen 2 weeks ago. Its just aligned as off-center/off-tracking. When the tech aligns that way, he would have adjusted rear first and then front. All in spec but your rear end is slightly sticking out from center line.

In my case I just installed outer tie rods the night before and I knew I was off by .24 ish. Guess what my alignment shows steering entered turned left and then all numbers off by 0.27 (I was standing outside the bay, heard tech comment "man the rear is really off). Went back for correction and told him that I changed parts which is why I needed alignment. It was corrected. He could not say anything. Hmm...

There is always a little +/- centering though between techs when they lock the steering on the rack and chocked.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this happen 2 weeks ago. Its just aligned as off-center/off-tracking. When the tech aligns that way, he would have adjusted rear first and then front. All in spec but your rear end is slightly sticking out from center line.

In my case I just installed outer tie rods the night before and I knew I was off by .24 ish. Guess what my alignment shows steering entered turned left and then all numbers off by 0.27 (I was standing outside the bay, heard tech comment "man the rear is really off). Went back for correction and told him that I changed parts which is why I needed alignment. It was corrected. He could not say anything. Hmm...

There is always a little +/- centering though between techs when they lock the steering on the rack and chocked.

It just seems like it should be dead on center after an alignment.

I had adjustable tie rods installed on the back wheels of my van. So I could carry a little bit of more of a load than usual. I use my van for work. I'm an electrician.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just seems like it should be dead on center after an alignment.

I had adjustable tie rods installed on the back wheels of my van. So I could carry a little bit of more of a load than usual. I use my van for work. I'm an electrician.

I guess what I want to know is there any kind of trick to getting the alignment dead on?

Both times I've taken it to the dealership. Once to get a brake job done a while back and the other time to get an oil leak fixed. Both times they hooked me up with a complimentary alignment. The steering wheel was dead on. Perfect. how is the Honda dealership able to get it done perfect and not an independent shop?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
606 Posts
The shop should be able to get it done perfectly as well. The technician who did the job probably didn't realize it was slightly off so I would take it back and ask them to fix it. I think they have to make sure the wheel is perfectly centered when they do their adjustments, so perhaps they weren't meticulous about that part.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I guess what I want to know is there any kind of trick to getting the alignment dead on?

Both times I've taken it to the dealership. Once to get a brake job done a while back and the other time to get an oil leak fixed. Both times they hooked me up with a complimentary alignment. The steering wheel was dead on. Perfect. how is the Honda dealership able to get it done perfect and not an independent shop?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes a steering wheel holder some shops use winalign its a alignment program that is supposed to compensate for steering moving during alignment when steering wheel is not held in place . they used it at a mienike I worked at they didn't use a steering wheel holder it total b.s. .at zimbrick mini that i have worked at for over 5y we use a steering wheel holder .

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Good question. At Firestome, they do use a steering wheel holder. It has a J end like a steering to pedal lock tool. But still it might be about how the tech first straightens on dash. It is always a little off. When we complain, I guess they pay more attention. At dealerships may be they pay attention and they might also use other aids.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good question. At Firestome, they do use a steering wheel holder. It has a J end like a steering to pedal lock tool. But still it might be about how the tech first straightens on dash. It is always a little off. When we complain, I guess they pay more attention. At dealerships may be they pay attention and they might also use other aids.
I wonder if I offered to set in the driver's seat and hold the steering wheel straight, if they would let me do that. I would be more than willing to do that.

·
Registered
847 Posts
During alignment they are also supposed to weigh the vehicle down to simulate occupants in vehicle..

Try this when you go back for the alignment put a piece of tape in center of wheel . Tell them this is where you want straight ahead to be .

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there "quick fix" for the steering wheel problem that I could do on my own?

When I owned my Toyota truck, they would never get the steering wheel dead straight. So, what I did was pulled a steering wheel off, then put it back on straight. Problem solved.

The only thing that scares me about the situation with the Odyssey is that the Odyssey has airbags.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I did that on my VW Rabbit in the 90s. That was when I did not know too much about cars/engineering. While the steering wheel fix will fix your visual, technically the rear end is what is off-center/off-track. Not sure steering wheel adjust method is correct. I just went back to get it fixed via alignment (as my quick fix, ie, minimum wait vs 5 hr "we are quite busy"). Looking at the computer it was actual adjustments, not a steering remove and move. Sorry not technical enough here. Just deductive reasoning.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did that on my VW Rabbit in the 90s. That was when I did not know too much about cars/engineering. While the steering wheel fix will fix your visual, technically the rear end is what is off-center/off-track. Not sure steering wheel adjust method is correct. I just went back to get it fixed via alignment (as my quick fix, ie, minimum wait vs 5 hr "we are quite busy"). Looking at the computer it was actual adjustments, not a steering remove and move. Sorry not technical enough here. Just deductive reasoning.

Ironically, the alignment is spot on. They showed me the print out of it. if I'm driving down the road and I want to go straight, I have to have the steering wheel a little off center (to the right). When I let go of the steering wheel it continues to go straight (with the steering wheel off center).

If I'm riding down the road and I put the steering wheel center, my van veers towards the right.

The alignment is fine. The steering wheel is just off.

It's like it was aligned perfectly with the steering wheel off center.

I took it in for a second time, and they swore it was center. I take it for a drive, and it's not.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here is a pic of my alignment print out. Looks like gold.

Just at the steering wheel is off.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
On my other vehicle, I had to remove the steering wheel to rotate it a few degrees so that it would be straight. I had to remove the air bag to do this which was scary at first but fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Only more knowledgeable folks can help. As far as I know it will drive straight. There are vehicles that look like back side is sticking out more on one side while going straight. Steering wheel correction will not fix that.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
606 Posts
I wouldn't risk anything with the airbags.

Both my cars have steering wheels that point slightly to the left. Probably because they both have had some front end work done recently. The cars track perfectly straight on the highway, though. I'm debating whether I should even bother going to get an alignment done if they're not going to put the steering wheel back center afterwards anyway.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
When they put back the steering in the center, the alignment numbers will change slightly to the degrees of that correction . Or as straight as they put the steering anyways. Definitely not worth taking out the steering and slightly moving it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts