Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter my Ody developed a slight creak while steering; mostly sitting still but sometimes at low speed. I had the service manager at the dealer drive it and he thought it was a road salt build up somewhere in the steering. I didn't think he was right, but the van was still pretty new so I wasn't very worried about it.

As winter passed the noise went away, so I thought he may have been right, but the other day while doing some slow maneuvering with the a/c and radio off and everything quiet I heard it again.

I remember someone asking about a "creaking" sound in one of the forums, but don't remember ever seeing an answer posted.

Anyone with any resolutions for this noise? I'll be going in for an oil change soon and will bring it up again, but would like to be able to tell them what others have found.

Thanx.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Chuck-

I have a .bmp file of a Honda service bulletin I'd be happy to send you. Dated 11/07/00, it describes a grunt/groan in steering at low speeds (sound familiar?). The solution involves lubricating the bushings/bearings/ cushions of the front dampers.

I have a squeak in my 2001 that I think is coming from the struts or strut towers that occurs during cooler weather driving on our wonderful frost-heaved midwestern roads. Now that it's cooler outside, I'll actually be able to let the dealer hear it (it disappears when the weather and vehicle warm up). When I mentioned this TSB to my dealer, he was at least was familiar with it, but claims he had not run into the problem on '01s.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
67 Posts
Chuck...thank you for raising this issue. I have posted several times on this creaking noise. I experience the noise at very low speeds in parking lots. Chuck or frank could you please send me a copy of service bulletin I would appreciate it. My wife hears me complain every Sunday when I drive the family to church. Email address is [email protected] Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sab2624:
Chuck...thank you for raising this issue. I have posted several times on this creaking noise. I experience the noise at very low speeds in parking lots. Chuck or frank could you please send me a copy of service bulletin I would appreciate it. My wife hears me complain every Sunday when I drive the family to church. Email address is [email protected] Thanks in advance.</font>
Have you talked to the dealer about it? I just wonder what the "official" answer is.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
Chuck-

I have a .bmp file of a Honda service bulletin I'd be happy to send you. Dated 11/07/00, it describes a grunt/groan in steering at low speeds (sound familiar?). The solution involves lubricating the bushings/bearings/ cushions of the front dampers.

</font>
Frank, when you send that .bmp I'll post it in my album so it's available to everyone.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
184 Posts
The image has been sent to those who requested it. Sorry about the size; I didn't realize 'til I sent it how large it was.

Caviller- I'd be happy to send it but I don't know your address. BTW, are you from the LPO area? I recall you mentioning Honda of Ottawa; my family is all from the area.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
The image has been sent to those who requested it. Sorry about the size; I didn't realize 'til I sent it how large it was.

Caviller- I'd be happy to send it but I don't know your address. BTW, are you from the LPO area? I recall you mentioning Honda of Ottawa; my family is all from the area.
</font>
West suburbs actually. Went to Ottawa because Honda of Lisle and Fox Valley were screwing people on the waiting lists...

Email is in my profile, but no worries since I'll just pick it up off ckons site before my next service visit.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
184 Posts
I took my 2001EX in yesterday to have a service tech listen to the suspension creak. I had a tough time duplicating it, but I finally got enough noise for him to start a diagnosis. Naturally it made more noise on the way home than in our drive.

I was not able to leave the van behind, but he did mention a few possibilities he's seen on Hondas (not specifically the Odyssey) or cars in general: the aforementioned dry strut bushings, improper torque(too loose) on the stabilizer bar links, looseness in the hoods hinges(which he already eliminated), or even a defective pinch weld in a strut tower. This last possibility spooked me, since it's already been mentioned by another poster, and the noise comes from both sides independently( depending on which wheel hits the bump).

I'm leaving it all day Tuesday; hopefully I'll have a simple answer and a creak-free van by Tuesday night. Hope the rest of you also make out well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to ckonarske for posting that bulletin. My dealer previously told me this noise was normal for my 2000Lx, but they hadn't seen this bulletin. They performed the recommeded fix on Friday, and the noise still exists.

They are keeping my van until they and I can talk to the district service mgr.

Now if I could just get bulletins for the front brakes banging (pad shift?), the dieseling/torque converter lockup at ~50mph, the rear vent window motors squealing, etc.

Honestly, my 2001 Jeep Cherokee makes less noise than my Ody.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. I'm a little ticked, too. My LEFT vent window started squeaking today. I've already had the right one replaced.

Problems on cars don't bother me, but REPEAT problems bother the hell out of me. Honda has had this problem (among others) for three years now and is too cheap or too lazy or too stupid to fix it. Or maybe all three. THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!!!!!!

If I wanted a car that had the same problems for two or three years running I'd have bought any one of our fine domestic cars.

Much more of this and I'll be back to Toyota permanently!

------------------
Chuck

P

·
0 Posts
My Civic does that. Maybe it's a Honda thing?

Michelle

------------------

Phoenix ~i~ & Belle (aka Belzebub)
Click here to see my site!
2002 RP EXL-RES (oh where, oh where, can our minivan be???)
1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe-1990 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible-1987 Honda Civic Sedan-1986 Toyota LE Van

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer claims the steering creak/groan is coming from where the suspension coils meet the van. They didn't specify top or bottom of the coil. They said they lubricated those points and the noise has disappeared.

I only drove the car in the parking lot, but it did seem the noise was gone.

Edit: They did also perform the damper service on the tech bulletin.

[This message has been edited by rhoatson (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with getting the creaking to stop? I see one potential fix is lubricating the coil. My dealer yesterday performed the damper repair, per the fix posted, but it did not work. I have the van going in again next week and they are calling Honda tech line.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just an update for Chuck or others in regards to creaky steering. Dealer service has tried the lubrication of the damper with no success and now the Honda tech line has suggested replacing the struts and bearing plates. Advisor admitted that creaking sound was not normal. They used some type of sound device on the chassis and located the noise in the strut area. Just an FYI. I will let you know next week if it was successful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts