Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Oddy with about 55K on it. For the last few weeks my wife has noticed the steering wheel is now more difficult to turn than before. I checked the fluid and it looks normal. Now all of a sudden the starter is acting up. The last two times I started it would barely turn over. If I keep the key turned it eventually turns over 4-5 times and then starts. All lights, A/C, radio, and other electrical switches off. Any ideas? I'm wondering if there is a problem with the electrical system? I couldn't find anything using forum search. Thanks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well it sounds as though you have a case of the chronic power steering problems there is a Technical Service Bullettin out on that, but it's affectivness is really contingent on the dealer and customer's activity. Its sort of a rite of passage to all Ody owners. I had it done a year ago and now its failing again. Its either the pump, reservior, or both. At least its not making noise. I guess being June in Texas helps out with that though:D .

As far as the starter is concerned, I would guess the factory battery is now acting up. I had a lot of starting problems and finally got the dealer to replace the battery at 35,922 miles. (warranty voided at 36,000) They said it had a dead cell. Now I carry a jump box just incase. For 60 dollars the piece of mind is priceless. Just as long as I remember to keep it charged.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, no noise. That's the weird part. And the two happening at the same time kind of makes me wonder if there is a related cause. I'm on vacation in FL and I don't want to get raped at the dealership, but don't want to chance driving it 700 miles home and have it die either:( Maybe I'll get the charger you mentioned as a cheap insurance policy and hope that it works.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Heres what I got....Charger Box

That would take care of the starter/battery issues, and to be honest for the most part the power steering issues are much more apparent when traveling at low speeds. So your drive back to Texas is probably mainly on freeways. For me at least, the main problems occur when doing quick tight manuevers at lower speeds like turning into parking spaces or into the garage. I think it should make it back to Texas without too much of a problem. But don't let my word leave you stranded on a roadway in Florida. When I said June in Texas had to do with the noises created by the steering system, I meant that it tends to happen in colder weather. And Florida at this time of the year I imagine is not much cooler then Texas. ;)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Our low-power assist has been coming/going for awhile now. Did it the other day pulling into a spot and it's been 80's around here so I don't think temp really matters. I believe the noise from the pump/reservoir was temp related because it only happened on 20-30° days. I don't think it's somethign that's going to massively fail all at once. I expect it will get worse over time, or it may just always be random. I'm hoping it's just always random.

·
Registered
778 Posts
skinny2 said:
Our low-power assist has been coming/going for awhile now. Did it the other day pulling into a spot and it's been 80's around here so I don't think temp really matters. I believe the noise from the pump/reservoir was temp related because it only happened on 20-30° days. I don't think it's somethign that's going to massively fail all at once. I expect it will get worse over time, or it may just always be random. I'm hoping it's just always random.
I was only ever referring to the noise too in regard to the temperature. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both. I appreciate the advice. We are all thinking the same thing. I think I'm going to go with that. I bought an Accord in 06, and an Oddy in 07 from Frank Kent Honda in Fort Worth. I think I'll drag it back there for a look at the dealership. Hopefully they'll be more likely to fix it free there since I've spent some money there in the past. Then again, maybe not. Thanks again.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Make sure you print out the TSB first and present it at the service desk when you sign in.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just a thought: How's the AC? the power steering pump, alternator and AC compressor all run off the same belt and I've had a situation on a previous car where all looked fine but the car would not charge until I tightened the belt. Of course, I'm the one who'd replaced it a few days before... ;-)

Anyhow, thought I'd throw that in there.

Nicolas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A/C is good. Good idea though.
Changed battery today and it starts fine now. I'm definitely going to limp back to Texas and hope my local dealership wants a repeat sale in the future.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We just had ours in for the recalls and mentioned that the steering in a parking lot was getting tough. They found that the power steering pump had gone bad and replaced it under warranty. We are at 28k miles and less than three years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We took ours in upon return from our vacation. They took care of the recalls but said that they couldn't reproduce the steering issue. Since there was no noise associated with the power steering they claim it's not the power steering pump. I ended up driving it home with the problem un-resolved.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, that's the problem with the PS TSB where it accompanies noise. My 07 EX-L had power steering stiffness, but no noise.

It was my fault for procastinating when I had power steering issues, and when I brought it in to the dealer, it was 2 months after the 3 years warranty, and I had to pay out of pocket for the reservoir replacement.

I'm sure the noise comes in when more damage has been done to the PS system.

We all in need to call Honda customer care to report these issues. I reported mine to Honda, not sure if they will look at the situation further.

reinauerj said:
We took ours in upon return from our vacation. They took care of the recalls but said that they couldn't reproduce the steering issue. Since there was no noise associated with the power steering they claim it's not the power steering pump. I ended up driving it home with the problem un-resolved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts