Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking information about a steering rack repair job recommended for my 2005 Odyssey with 200,000 miles.

Why might this work be needed? Is it required as standard because of the age and miles?

There is no indication I am aware of that this work is required. What should I be looking for (such as oil leaks)?

What is involved with the job (such as what replacement parts are required)?

What is a typical price that is charged for this work by a Honda dealer? The local Honda dealer suggested price is $1,935.00.

What might happen with the car if the work is not performed? What will breakdown?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Odyssey... for towing, camping, & fetching parts for the German cars. :-/
44 Posts
Insightful tutorial, tailored for DIY'ers

Explains why he's replacing it, too.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I can’t answer your questions, but I assume there is a good reason some mechanic is suggesting you need a new steering rack. Why don’t you ask? I don’t think this is a very common issue or repair on our Odysseys. I do recommend you look for a second opinion from an independent mechanic. Do not have a dealership do this repair, unless you are wealthy and don’t care about the cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are close enough to check with Matta Motors in Glassport , PA . Phone and ask for Dan , the owner , Tell him you were referred by Alex in DeLand , FL . They serviced all my Honda's and Acura's from the late 1980's until I moved from PA to FL a few years ago . In fact , I am considering driving my Ody from FL to Glassport to have them do a thorough review of the mechanical condition of 'everything' . You can get info at mattamotors.com .

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
OIl leaks are the most common reason for replacing a steering rack. Other than that unless you are having a power steering complaint there is no reason to change it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts